May 03, 2024, 10:55:04 AM

Author Topic: Galvitar and Battle Fury  (Read 5465 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Galvitar and Battle Fury
« on: June 24, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »
Is it possible for the FM to QC Battle Fury upon himself then use the Full Attack(Spinning Slash)  and Doublestrike the opponent and then use then use the Quick Attack(Thrust) for the Battle Fury. Resulting in 3 sets of attack dice?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Galvitar and Battle Fury
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
I believe so.

After you make a melee attack (sweeping strike/doublestrike)
you may make a free quick attack (normal quickstrike with 2 pierce)

If not, then Ive been playing that wrong.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »
Yes this is the trick the FM uses for the kill shot.

And it should be Double Strike, then her quick melee, then the Dancing Scimitar.
with no +X melee it would be 4 - 4 - 4 - 3
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »
With Bear Strength it would be 5 - 4 - 5 - 3 correct?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »
With Bear Strength it would be 5 - 4 - 5 - 3 correct?
6-4-6-3 technically, but yes.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
Is it possible for the FM to QC Battle Fury upon himself then use the Full Attack(Spinning Slash)  and Doublestrike the opponent and then use then use the Quick Attack(Thrust) for the Battle Fury. Resulting in 3 sets of attack dice?

Yes. You QC Battle Fury, use your full action for the full attack (doublestrike), use your quick attack (granted from Battle Fury). Dancing Scimitar gets a turn as well. The combo is absolutely devastating. If you are playing against a Wizard it helps to use Dancing Scimitar to pop their Voltaric Shield first.
"See you space cowboy..."

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »
Treat the Forcemaster like a Hydra, something that you don't want to start your turn next to, but is susceptible to some of the same counters (Agony/ Armor/ Avoiding).

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »
Treat the Forcemaster like a Hydra, something that you don't want to start your turn next to, but is susceptible to some of the same counters (Agony/ Armor/ Avoiding).

If you start in the FMs zone and fail to leave during 1st QC you deserve to lose. a proper FM build will kill you in 1-3 hit because damage rolls are random. When Playing against an FM treat it more like a combo deck rather than an aggro deck.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 06:51:30 PM »

If you start in the FMs zone and fail to leave during 1st QC you deserve to lose. a proper FM build will kill you in 1-3 hit because damage rolls are random. When Playing against an FM treat it more like a combo deck rather than an aggro deck.

Of course you don't want to. I was just mentioning that 2 armor and having agony on the FM considerably reduces her damage output- even if she uses BF.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »

Not necessarily. If you have Armor 2+, Aegis 1, and/or have Agony on the FM, that drastically reduces the FM's damage output down to the point where it may be somewhat manageable. Also having guards helps.

Still, I take your point. If you start the turn in the same zone as a buffed FM, you need to make sure you won't die on the spot. Teleport/Force Push can help, as can reducing the FM's damage output. I also like the possibility of tossing down a Wall of Thorns and Force Pushing the FM through it, but that would only work if I had initiative.

One of the reasons I like using a Thoughtspore with Teleport is that it prevents my opponent from getting away nearly as easily. They can't just use a Wall to hold me off for a turn or 2, they can't just Teleport away, and they can't kite me effectively.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »

Not necessarily. If you have Armor 2+, Aegis 1, and/or have Agony on the FM, that drastically reduces the FM's damage output down to the point where it may be somewhat manageable. Also having guards helps.

Still, I take your point. If you start the turn in the same zone as a buffed FM, you need to make sure you won't die on the spot. Teleport/Force Push can help, as can reducing the FM's damage output. I also like the possibility of tossing down a Wall of Thorns and Force Pushing the FM through it, but that would only work if I had initiative.

One of the reasons I like using a Thoughtspore with Teleport is that it prevents my opponent from getting away nearly as easily. They can't just use a Wall to hold me off for a turn or 2, they can't just Teleport away, and they can't kite me effectively.

That would imply that you had prepared in advance. plus even with Aegis and Agony I can still put out a 7, 1, 7, 3 under the current rules. on turn 4

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 02:34:22 PM »
Now that it is live we can talk about the BF change

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
Yes this is the trick the FM uses for the kill shot.

Correction: USED  :P

Now I have done and made myself sad.  :'(

Its for the best. This will open up book construction, and allow for some fresh builds to enter tournaments.
I for one am glad.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »
My thought is that this change to Battle Fury makes Whirling Strike a lot more attractive. Before, Battle Fury was a better option for hitting multiple targets, given the cost and + damage benefit.