May 05, 2024, 10:48:54 AM

Author Topic: Can I add more mana to a reversed spell?  (Read 3405 times)

sean

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Can I add more mana to a reversed spell?
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
Reverse Magic: When this creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment spell controlled by an opponent, you must reveal Reverse Magic during the Counter Spell Step.  You take control of that spell.  Redirect it back to the caster, who now becomes the target of the spell.  If the spell cannot target the caster, it is countered.  Then, destroy reverse magic.

Say for example, the Warlock casts explode on the Beastmaster's regenration belt, and the Beastmaster has reverse magic.  Can the Beastmaster change the target of the spell to the warlock's lash of hellfire, paying the 2 mana difference?  (regeneration belt costs 6, lash of hellfire costs 8)

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Can I add more mana to a reversed spell?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
No you can't. You take control of the spell but you can't add mana to it as the payment of mana was part of the initial step that was part of casting. Once the spell is paid for you can't add more mana
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »
Pixel you would be correct I made the same ruling a few months ago. Then Bryan responded with this a while back addressing Reverse magic and things like Dissolve.

[spoiler]
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=2635
When Reverse Magic is revealed, you take control of that spell.  Although the Cast Spell Step is over, you are allowed to adjust the spell's choices and pay additonal mana costs if any.

With Dissolve, you take control of the spell.  It now targets the original casting Mage, and you can now choose a new piece of equipment for Dissolve on that Mage.  If that piece of equipment costs more than the cost has already been paid for Dissolve, you must pay the difference.  If it costs less, you do not get any mana refunded.

Same thing with Reverse Magic on Force Push.  If the original caster did not pay the extra mana to push through a wall, but you want to push him through a wall, you can pay the extra mana to do so.  If the opposite is true, you do not get a mana refund for choosing to not push him through a wall.

As much as possible, we want things in Mage Wars to work the way you think they should work.

We're sorry that this text does not appear on the Reverse Magic card.  The card was already a little text heavy!  You will see this text in our coming Spell/Rules FAQ, and also in our online card database  (coming very soon!).

Sorry for the confusion, and hope this helps.
[/spoiler]

So the short answer is yes you can pay more but you can not get mana back by trying to lower the cost.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »
Thanks Shadow.

We really need an FAQ :-)
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.