May 17, 2024, 12:30:03 AM

Author Topic: Cursing Warlock  (Read 30548 times)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Cursing Warlock
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
I also like to bring him out against Forcemasters, his "Warlock only" makes him immune to Mind Control, and he can double strike+battlefuy all 3 Forcefield Tokens in one swoop.

jmoodie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Cursing Warlock 2.0
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »
I tried to edit my post, but it didn't work for some reason.  So I started a new thread.  Board ops can move it necessary.

I made changes based on suggestions and playing 4 games.  This guys went 3-1 in those.  Today, I went 2-0 in our organized play using the book below.  Keep in mind, I'm using a Core, Spell tome 1, spell tome 2, promos given out at local org play, and I snagged a Sectarus from a player.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Mage Wars Deck Builder
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/magewars/mage-wars-deck-builder

Mage:
Warlock (Core) 

Attack (5)
Fireball (Core #1A04) x2
Flameblast (Core #1A06) x2
Ring of Fire (Core #1A12) x1

Conjuration (4)
Idol of Pestilence (Core #1J11) x1
Deathlock (Core #1J19) x1
Tanglevine (Core #1J22) x2

Creature (4)
Necropian Vampiress (Core #1C26) x1
Goran, Werewolf Pet (Core #1C17) x1
Flaming Hellion (Core #1C16) x1
Dark Pact Slayer (Core #1C03) x1
Sesiryx (Demon Familiar) x 1

Enchantment (22)
Stumble x2
Ghoul Rot (Core #1E19) x3
Magebane (Core #1E24) x2
Marked for Death (Core #1E27) x1
Poisoned Blood (Core #1E31) x1
Agony (Core #1E09) x2
Chains of Agony (Core #1E04) x2
Enfeeble (Core #1E14) x2
Hellfire Trap (Core #1E22) x2
Death Link (Core #1E08) x1
Bear Strength (Core #1E01) x2
Cheetah Speed (Core #1E05) x1
Harmonize (Core #1E20) x1
Vampirism (Core #1E40) x2

Equipment (9)
Demonhide Armor (Core #1Q05) x1
Lash of Hellfire (Core #1Q14) x1
Moloch's Torment (Core #1Q21) x2
Ring of Curses (Core #1Q28) x1
Fireshaper Ring (Core #1Q10) x1
Regrowth Belt (Core #1Q23) x1
Elemental Wand (Core #1Q08) x1
Sectarus x1

Incantation (12)
Drain Life (Core #1I08) x1
Battle Fury (Core #1I02) x1
Dispel (Core #1I06) x3
Dissolve (Core #1I07) x2
Seeking Dispel (Core #1I24) x1
Shift Enchantment (Core #1I25) x1
Teleport (Core #1I28) x3

Wall (2)
Wall of Fire (Core #1W03) x2

Game One was against a forcemaster.  My opening was:
Turn one: Summon Imp Familiar, ring of curses qc
Turn two: Move imp one space north and cast first curse, summon Firebrand Hellion and make Bloodreaper, skip qc

I ultimately regretted the bloodreaper move.  Seemed cool at the time, but it only netted me an extra 2 dice one time.

As soon as the FM got in range (turn 2),  I immediately started the curse volley.  I started out with Enfeeble to slow her down.  I got about 14 curse damage in before things go interesting.  We eventually ended up in the far corner together with her surrounded by a dark pact slayer, my hellion, and me.  Mind control and charm are a PITA.  With us both past 20 damage, I finally broke free with a Drain Life, which, although pricey, has the wonderful ability to get past all defenses and other problems and heal me.  The imp provided the final blow, doing 1 point of damage to finish it. 

The second game was against a Wizard.  He had initiative.  I queued up a cheetah speed and ghoul rot.  He cast two mana crystals and moved out a space, so I was able to cheetah speed and rot him on turn one. 

Turn two he summoned his gorgon, and I moved a space closer and equipped sectarus and mage baned him.

Turn three, I QC'd into his zone with a teleport after he passed tanglevined me on his qc.  He moved his archer out of the zone, and I quickly followed and attacked her.  I used sectarus to ghoul rot her to stop the regeneration. 

Over the next few turns, I worked on his gorgon while he retreated a bit.  He did get one shot off with the gorgon and weaked me once.  But we ended up in roughly the same squares - me with a hellion, and him with an earth elemental and huggin.  Suffice it to say, I took two earth elemental punches in the face, and we ended up with me in the same square as him and his elemental with 20 damage on me, him with 24 damage, and my hellion in the adjacent square clinging to life.  through a series of unfortunate events for him, he was never able to stop to get rid of the ghoul rot.

At this point, we both realized that this was probably it. 

He queued up battle fury on his elemental with huggin, and a hurl boulder (I think) with his mage.  We counted it up, and his total attack  that turn was going to be roughly 21 dice.   He had his shield on and I had 20 mana, so I queued up (ba badda ba!) - Drain Life!  I had the initiative.  So I qc'd Drain Life, and after rolling nothing but crap for most of the game, I rolled an out of my mind 9 damage.  Game over.  Final life went from being 20 to 24 to 12 to 32.

Lower in the postings, there was some question about drain life and it's cost.  I had two good rolls with it today, but late game - drain life is invaluable.  I may try to find a way to get another one in this build.  Sure it can be nullified, but otherwise, it's basically an unavoidable fireball + minor heal all in one.  It's a game ender if ever there was one.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Cursing Warlock 2.0
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 12:02:44 AM »
Congratulations.

One thing to note is that Battle Fury doesn't help an Earth Elemental, since it has no quick action attacks.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
Re: Cursing Warlock 2.0
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 01:01:03 AM »
Congratulations.

One thing to note is that Battle Fury doesn't help an Earth Elemental, since it has no quick action attacks.

It wasn't an "earth elemental", it was an iron golem.   8)
Si vis pacem para bellum

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2013, 01:18:37 AM »
Well, that makes sense then.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 01:52:22 AM »
Against the FM I would suggest:

Move forward and cast imp behind me, and then curses ring.  And then full cast a slayer and QC a trap like the new spiked trap. or a defensive gear item. or harmonize the imp.

By turn three I Would expect the FM to be on me and it would be time for a chest item QC, have a curse on the imp, and have an unavoidable attack ready or summon a gorgon archer in an adjacent zone.

The trick being what to use to consume the defense, but with 2 strong melee and two range would make the FM play by taking into account the warlocks creatures.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 02:22:58 AM »
Your book looks pretty solid.  There are some choices I personally wouldnt have gone for, like harmonize and 12 spellbook points worth of teleports (I usually settle on 1, maybe 2)

But yes, never make Hellions Bloodreapers.  Slayers are really the only viable Reaper.  Hellions simply don't have the stats to last long.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:46:10 PM by reddawn »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

jmoodie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »
Congratulations.

It wasn't an "earth elemental", it was an iron golem.   8)

Sorry for the confusion. Paradox would know, I was playing him. :) Iron Golems are very hard to deal with. I just avoided him.