May 11, 2024, 09:59:32 AM

Author Topic: My lil' imp buddy and me  (Read 5126 times)

lettucemode

My lil' imp buddy and me
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
A buddy book with the Arraxian Crown Warlock and Sersiryx.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]My lil' imp buddy and me[/spellbookname]
[mage]Warlock[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1a04]2 x  Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a06]2 x  Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]2 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a12]1 x  Ring of Fire[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j19]1 x  Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ05]1 x  Mana Prism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j18]1 x  Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11]1 x  Sersiryx, Imp Familiar[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e09]2 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x  Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]2 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]2 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE02]1 x  Circle of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e08]1 x  Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]2 x  Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e14]2 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]2 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE03]1 x  Healing Charm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]2 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]2 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]1 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]2 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e35]1 x  Reverse Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE02]1 x  Rise Again[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x  Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q05]1 x  Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q12]1 x  Helm of Fear[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q14]1 x  Lash of Hellfire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q21]1 x  Moloch's Torment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q28]1 x  Ring of Curses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ09]1 x  Sectarus, Dark Rune Sword[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Now that FiF is out on OCTGN, you'll probably see me playing some variant of this book. I just threw it together over lunch, so there's definitely some room for improvement. Already I am thinking of pulling out the Deathlock, Rhino Hide, and maybe the gas cloud, too.

Turn 1, 19 mana: sprint to NC, Battle Forge
Turn 2, 20 mana: deploy Enchanter's Ring, summon Sersiryx, cast Brace Yourself on Sersiryx
Turn 3, 15 mana: start adapting. It'd be good to deploy Ring of Curses at this point if possible

With 14 mana to work with and two discount rings on in Round 3, this build has a lot of flexibility. You can go offensive or defense with your equipment and enchantments. Some interesting synergies I see:
  • Sersiryx can cast Curses on your mage, which can then be transferred to the enemy Mage with a single Enchantment Transfusion. Stack 'em twice as fast!
  • With an additional curse action each turn, Moloch's Torment gets a lot more value, especially if the opponent has several creatures out.
  • Sersiryx is resistant to the most popular Unavoidable attack: Flameblast.
  • Worried about Harshforge Monolith with all those enchantments out? Drop a Mana Prism and lighten the load, then take it out with Force Hammers.

Obviously keeping Sersiryx alive for as long as possible is important, so there's a fair investment in keeping him alive and happy, but I think the additional Curse every round makes up for it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:33:30 PM by lettucemode »

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: My lil' imp buddy and me
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »
I've been working on a similar book but went with fire shaper Ring instead of enchanters ring. Stack burns on the cursed enemy mage and avoid everything else with cloak of shadows. Fireball with fire shaper ring is as good as force hammer.

Why would you use Malocks torment over the fire one?

lettucemode

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
Using Fireballs instead of Force Hammer would free up some spellpoints, but with all the enchantments Sersiryx will be getting, I think I like the Enchanter's Ring more. I should try some games one way and some the other to see what I like.

I'm using Moloch's simply because I don't have anything in the book that synergizes with Burn tokens. No Firebrand Imps, for example. Also Moloch's is cheaper for more reliable damage, and can be used on several creatures at once.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »
With fire weaving and two targets together you can move a 2nd burn onto one creature and put another new burn on the other. And it's more efficient because you pay 2 mana for 3 average damage.

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:31:14 AM »
but with all the enchantments Sersiryx will be getting, I think I like the Enchanter's Ring more.

But [mwcard=MW1Q09] Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard] only get discount when mage is casting. I think it does not allow discount when revealing, or when a familiar casts, does it?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

lettucemode

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
With fire weaving and two targets together you can move a 2nd burn onto one creature and put another new burn on the other. And it's more efficient because you pay 2 mana for 3 average damage.

Like the OP says, I am using the Arraxxian Crown warlock for this build. Even if I was using the Adramelech Warlock, getting burns on 3+ enemy creatures is action intensive, especially since this book only has 1 creature and isn't running Ignite + Mage Wand. It's far easier to get bonus damage for something I'm already doing, which is cursing stuff.

But [mwcard=MW1Q09] Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard] only get discount when mage is casting. I think it does not allow discount when revealing, or when a familiar casts, does it?

You're right. I will be casting many enchantments targeting Sersiryx (Healing Charm, Bull Endurance, Brace Yourself, Nullify, etc.) since he cannot cast them himself, so Enchanter's Ring will offset the cost of all that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:58:36 PM by lettucemode »

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »

Like the OP says, I am using the Arraxxian Crown warlock for this build. Even if I was using the Adramelech Warlock, getting burns on 3+ enemy creatures is action intensive, especially since this book only has 1 creature and isn't running Ignite + Mage Wand. It's far easier to get bonus damage for something I'm already doing, which is cursing stuff.
Sorry I get the two warlocks cinfused. Hiwever its clear that you are misremembering how Adramelechs Torment works. Both torments reward cursing. The only benifit I can see for Moloch's torment is that it works on burn proof targets, which I admit can be important.

lettucemode

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
If I had Adramelech's Torment, the most Burns I can reliably apply per round is 1 ignoring attack spells. If the enemy mage has 2 or more creatures out, that is at least three rounds spent to get a burn on them all. Contrast that with the immediate damage from Moloch's, combined with the number of curses I am dishing out per round. I can cast three curses in a round and get three damage immediately after. The average damage from three Burns in a round is also 3, but with Adramelech's you pay twice as much mana to get that damage, and it took about twice as long.

Burns can be removed by Healing Wand or the Priestess's ability or Geyser again and again and again. Meanwhile the most Dispels the opponent can have is 6 and I have almost three times as many curses (though most books run 3-4 dispels). Given that people are expecting fire-heavy strategies with this new release, Moloch's is simply more reliable than Adramelech's. 

Also as I have stated before I have absolutely nothing in the book that synergizes with Burns. No Adramelech's Touch, no Wildfire Imps, no Combustion, and I'm using the old-school Warlock. There is very little reason to invest in something that will not interact with any other card or effect in my book, especially when Moloch's exists.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:07:33 AM by lettucemode »

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
You should add an Elemental Wand. Else against a Necromancer, you will have a hard time with so few damage output once he dissolve your lash.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
Good point about it taking 3 rounds to get three burns going i hasn't realized that.

Mage bane, chains of agony and moloch's torment all still work on the necro and his minions. Only ghoul rot and poisoned blood really fails vs necro. And rise again I suppose since zombie imp isn't that great.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
Yeah but a necro will beat you to the "I deal you X damage during Upkeep" race. You need another way to output serious damage.