May 04, 2024, 04:32:21 AM

Author Topic: Earth Wizard  (Read 16594 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Earth Wizard
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:04:33 AM »
Alright, so with the advent of the Warlord's massively awesome earth spells and creatures, I birthed an idea.... Iron golem and hurl boulder are incredible. No you can't lightning ring or flame ring to get the +1, but when facing a warlock, flame is terrible, and everyone seems to love elemental cloak these days. Earth gets past this. So, here is what I have come up with so far....

Attacks:

2x Hail of Stones (4)
3x Hurl Boulder (6)

= 10

Conjurations:

1x Battle Forge (4)
2x Mana crystal (2)
2x Wall of Stone (4)
1x Quicksand (2)

= 12

Creatures:

1x Darkfenne Hydra (4)
1x Earth Elemental (5)
2x Gorgon Archer (8)
1x Iron Golem (3)

= 20

Enchantments:

1x Block (2)
1x Circle of Lightning (4)
2x Decoy (2)
1x Hawkeye (2)
4x Nullify (4)
2x Teleport Trap (2)
1x Reverse Attack (4)
2x Turn to Stone (6)
1x Reverse Magic (2)

= 28

Incantations:

3x Dispel (3)
2x Dissolve (4)
2x Charge (4)
2x Teleport (4)
2x Sleep (8)
2x Seeking Dispel (2)
1x Purge Magic (3)
2x Sniper Shot (4)
1x Steal Enchantment (3)

= 35

Equipment:

1x Elemental Wand (2)
1x Mage Wand (2)
1x Dragonscale Hauberk (2)
1x Deflection Bracers (2)
1x Moonglow Amulet (1)
1x Leather Boots (1)
1x Elemental Cloak (1)
1x Enchanter's Ring (1)
1x Regrowth Belt (2)
1x Arcane Ring (1)
= 12

For the not so obvious selections, I have deathlock because regen is a problem in my small meta, two wands for dissolve, they do get dissolve happy. I am testing out susurko... Any thoughts, suggestions? It's 2-0 right now, but we will see as time goes on..
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Wizard
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
Isn't Sosruko Beastmaster only?

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
Koz is right Sosruko is beastmaster only. You can take him out and add in an elemental cloak.

Since you use Deathlock and it affects you too, I would take out Regrowth and Regrowth Belt then replace them with  Leather Boots, Leather Gloves, Arcane Ring, and Mage Staff or a single Cobra Reflexes for another defense.

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
Even if you could use Sosruko, it would be a 4 point card for the Wizard not a 1 pointer as you have it in that list.  :)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
Thank you guys for your help! Updated list appears above, any more suggestions?
Always carry a towel...

gos_jim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
Just some notes, I don't have any suggestions at the moment as what to put IN, but some thoughts on a few of the spells you've chosen.

Deflection Bracers & Leather Gloves - You can't equip both of these. Is there one you would see yourself always wanting? Is there a situation where you would say "not enough mana to cast Deflection Bracers, I'll settle for Leather Gloves" instead of just waiting a turn to conserve mana?

Bear Strength & Cheetah Speed - These can only target living creatures, so they can only target your mage, your hydra, or your gorgon archer. A Wizard is not generally a melee force to be reckoned with so you're probably better off doing something else with your mana instead of Bear Strength on yourself. The Hydra's main draw is triple strike, and Melee+2 only works on the first strike, and his triple strike attack is a full attack, so he can't use Cheetah Speed to get it in. I don't think I need to explain why these aren't great for the Gorgon Archer. Basically, I think you would be better off in most situations casting spells to make sure your creatures are POSITIONED correctly for their big attacks than using mana to buff them.

"Elemental Ring" - what is this? Do you mean Lightning Ring? If so, it only works on lightning, and you're an Earth Wizard, so chuck it. Better would be an Arcane Ring to conserve mana on your mana crystals, nullifies, dispels, etc.

Charge - This is good, since it targets "corporeal creatures", not just Living creatures. Best used on your Iron Golem so he can swing for 7 when the enemy mage thinks he's safe. I might even put a 2nd one in, just because if it happens once they might be wary of it, but also might think you wouldn't attempt the same trick twice. That's when you hit them with the same trick a 2nd time. >:D

Chain Lightning - Any particular reason this is in here? I mean it's a decent spell for swarms but you also have a Circle of Lightning, which is great against swarms and will probably see more use. Plus the Earth Elemental has a great zone attack, and you have 2 Hail of Stones. I'm not saying you should take it out, I'm just not sure if it's necessary at this point and it's pretty expensive when you're not an Air Wizard.

Earthquake - Maybe it's just me but I don't care for this spell. Conjurations are usually not a huge enough issue that you want to spend time going after them. However I guess if you play against a lot of Priestesses maybe this is worthwhile. It just seems like a weak attack especially when the best conjurations are usually zone exclusive.

OK I lied I do have a couple suggestions as for what to put in:

Quicksand - Sure it's only like a 25% chance to kill the creature, but it's pretty cheap for what could easily turn into a multi-turn restrain. You want to use this tactically, when an enemy creature is really going to want to take an action rather than try to escape. It also combos well with Sleep for an all-but guaranteed kill on a creature that costs about as much mana as the creature cost to put out. Wouldn't recommend this often, but in a pinch it could be devastating.

Sniper Shot - If you have a Wand with Hurl Boulder on it, I'm going to want to prevent you from hitting me with those boulders. So I'm probably going to throw up a Block or Reverse Attack or something. Or maybe I have a Defense. Well, Sniper Shot gets right through those by making your next ranged attack Unavoidable. Against a Forcemaster I might even put it on a Wand.

Perfect Strike - See Sniper Shot. Great against Block/Reverse Attack/Defenses.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
Thank you for your kind suggestions! I also added in Huginn, taking out Drain Power, because Drain Power is just a win more with this spellbook, and Huginn seems incredibly efficient with 13 incantations... any other thoughts?

And a typo on the elemental ring, it's supposed to be an enchanter's ring, to kind of bevy spending a little bit. May take out the third dispel for an arcane ring, not sure yet though..
Always carry a towel...

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »
I actually playtested many of these cards with an earth wizard, and yes sniper shot plus hurl boulder is great.

my build focused more with 6 mana crystals gate to voltari and 3 earth elementals, 3 iron golems, along with some arcane creatures with the gate, hydra, moonglow fairy and blue gremlin.  (2 very under rated cards IMO) the blue gremlin can get past walls and hindering with his teleport and the moonglows are to take out any ethereal annoyances.

the idea was to get out 2 or 3 earth elementals, or failing that 1 earth elemental and 2 iron golems.  it was almost a swarm deck with large creatures, with a channeling between 13-15 the earth elementals got out faster than you would think.

I did also include the quickstand etc and a few other things.....
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
Hmm.. that is actually a kickass Idea... I took out the huginn, I just never felt the need to play him, maybe he is damn good, I just the thought the second archer would do more work... Also, the deathlock wasn't helping at all, so I put in the archer, an arcane ring, and a regrowth belt... this seems like a big creature/battle forge build with hurl boulder supplement... and it's working quite well... any more thoughts?
Always carry a towel...

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »
Earth nukes are the same as any other nukes - they are very inefficient against a full health opponent, but very efficient for finishing off a wounded one.

You will want to play Blue Gremlins and Iron Golems to get some damage on target before you throw on Hawkeye and start hurling Boulders. Iron Golem + Charge is one of the most cost-effective combos in the game right now.

Earthquake is worth having IMO. It has a 67% chance of inflicting Slam on any ground creatures in its area. This is necessary for bypassing defenses (Deflection bracers, knights of westlock, bobcats etc) since none of the Earth attacks are unavoidable. Slam can decrease defenses for up to two consecutive rounds - 100% effective the first round, and partially effective (-2 from Daze) the next.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
Although I find that for the payout, hawkeye+hurl boulder is better than the ring hawkeye fireball/thunderbolt combo, I do agree with your statement.

As far as damage, I find that getting two gorgons out and then pinning them down with traps and golems really hurts them, and is insane in the mid game. If they go for the gorgon kill, they are going to lose the game. I'm thinking of removing the hydra for a second golem for that reason... they have a way of making sleep and force push suck. As far as earthquake.... hmmm, I haven't gotten the chance to test it, but the next creature swarm deck I face, I will have to see how it fares. Cheers!
Always carry a towel...

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
For swarm, suppression cloak goes a long way. I will have to put in charge in for my Golems, right now I have battle fury since it works nice with the hydra but charge sounds better, and would work well since I cant push/cheetah speed any golems. I have a build alot like this but no earth elemental. (That was going to be the focus of my deck at first but I just dont really like him) How has the Earth Elemental been working out for you? God..why didnt I think of charge?!?!?
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »
Hey man!

For me, unless you are going full mana denial, supression cloak is not as good as elemental cloak, but then again, I don't really face too many swarm decks, and by the time my gorgons get done with them, they are far too weak to really do anything against 4 armor and a melee defense. And the earth elemental is suprisingly awesome when you have properly funneled them to where they cannot move, with wall of stones, traps, etc. Elemental just punishes them for trying to stand around, and charge on golem is almost mandatory, I usually will switch sleep/teleport wand for charge midway through the game. IT really keeps them on their toes. But to be honest, this deck is really holding up better than Air/fire wizard has for me IMO. I would really consider taking out the hydras for more gorgons... they have to keep away from a longer distance, and they can't run from the gorgon, especially more melee oriented decks have to be in the same zone to really do damage to the gorgon, so, charge+golem gets them off guard!
Always carry a towel...

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
I agree elemental cloak is amazing.but with suppression cloak I just played friday and was swarmed at the end, in one zone with 16 of his creatures!(worst yet, most were canine and he threw a redclaw in there!) he had 10 mana (After all the creatures he cast, even with lair) so only five would of got to attack. Thats why I thought it was worth a mention. battle fury with golem was fun...but I cant wait to put in charge! I might try earth elemental...he would do well as a guard just to stand by my wizard and if I got swarmed again....Im sure he would take care of them.
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
Hmmm... I see your point, but if you are hitting that lair with a golem it should be gone by round 5 at the most... And the earth elemental's attacks are all full action, so guarding with him may not be the best idea... but, I may try the cloak out the next beastmaster I face!
Always carry a towel...