May 04, 2024, 02:46:56 PM

Author Topic: what is the best way to counter the Forcemaster?  (Read 16809 times)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: what is the best way to counter the Forcemaster?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
I guess as far as modifying spellbooks goes I was primarily thinking of mine. I prefer to play defensively and win through attrition. I have a few expensive creatures, not exactly in the numbers to apply a lot of pressure or out action her. So I will have to adjust for her to be sure if I am to employ the tactics I think most effective. In short I'm going to have to improve my offensive capabilities, what with the best defense being a strong offense and all that.

Skytale

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »
The Forcemaster has a lot of power, but a huge amount of that power rests in a few cards.

Her main attack is Galvitar's doublestrike or sweep and "Agony" really does a number on that. Of course, armor helps a lot, too.

"Forcefields" and "Mind Controls" can be dispelled.

The default Forcemaster build in particular has a major weakness in a lack of counter magic -- only one dissolve and one dispel.

I second the "unavoidable attacks" recommendations above. I'm not so sure about mana denial, though. When I've played her, I have mana to spare; it's actions that are in short supply. Maybe it depends on how much your opponent uses Thoughtspores.

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »
ok just my opinion but i think that the forcemaster is the most powerful mage by far and i will tell you why.....................   First) The Forceblade: it has doublestrike and with bear strength that is soooo powerful.  You roll 12 dice for each full attack! And if you Dissolve it, it comes right back!    2) The Forcefield:  it gets past unavoidable and starts with 3 counters and gains 1 counter EACH turn.  It's not Epic, so you can just replace it when destroyed.    3) Mind Control: takes control of any creature, it's cheap to cast, and can wipe out swarming when combined with the Mordok's Obelisk.  Just run these x4 for an auto-win nearly every game.
OK now i know what your thinking, that the dispel gets past mind contol but with decoy and just plain guessing proves to be a powerful combo. I have played many games with her and the only thing that scares her is a deck meta'd JUST against her, and thats not practical.  So thats what i feel.
Evil acts are committed every day,
So therefore the world is evil.
I would have to disagree.
Yes, the world may be filled to the brim with darkness,
But, if we try, with a smile or a hug,
We can light it up.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »
Quote from: "DarkForceMaster" post=9269
First) The Forceblade: it has doublestrike and with bear strength that is soooo powerful.  You roll 12 dice for each full attack!

Friendly note, I do believe melee + bonuses only work for the first strike. it's still 10 dice though.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 11:56:14 PM »
Quote from: "Doma0997" post=9273
Quote from: "DarkForceMaster" post=9269
First) The Forceblade: it has doublestrike and with bear strength that is soooo powerful.  You roll 12 dice for each full attack!

Friendly note, I do believe melee + bonuses only work for the first strike. it's still 10 dice though.

That is true.  Bear Strength only applies to the first attack if you double strike or sweep.  

Things like Agony and Aegis (or both!) render the full round attacks pretty worthless sometimes, especially since they lack the "-2 Pierce" trait of the quick attack.  So anything that debilitates attack dice combined even just a little armor really takes the wind out of her double strikes and sweeps.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 02:00:32 AM »
So anything that debilitates attack dice combined even just a little armor really takes the wind out of her double strikes and sweeps.

I've found that the best tactic to counter her doublestrike is the gorgon archer's weak tokens + Agony.  Granted, this is situational because you might not be playing a wizard, but it completely neuters her amazing melee potential.  Your job, however, will be to keep the Force Master away from your Gorgon Archer and vice versa (force pull).  Once your opponent figures out how devistating weak is vs. the forcemaster, they will priortize killing the Gorgon. Couple this with aegis plus some armor (as BaronZ said) and you should be quite frustrating to the forcemaster.
Si vis pacem para bellum

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 05:37:50 AM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=9276
So anything that debilitates attack dice combined even just a little armor really takes the wind out of her double strikes and sweeps.

I've found that the best tactic to counter her doublestrike is the gorgon archer's weak tokens + Agony.  Granted, this is situational because you might not be playing a wizard, but it completely neuters her amazing melee potential.  Your job, however, will be to keep the Force Master away from your Gorgon Archer and vice versa (force pull).  Once your opponent figures out how devistating weak is vs. the forcemaster, they will priortize killing the Gorgon. Couple this with aegis plus some armor (as BaronZ said) and you should be quite frustrating to the forcemaster.

Yep, Ive always assumed that its no coincidence that the picture of Mind Control is a Gorgon Archer.  As if to say "this is one of  the reasons to run this card".

Its also worth mentioning that Forcemaster is not particularly fond of Iron Golems either, what with them having heavy armor and being immune to 99% of her go-to tactics.

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
Yes, Iron Golems seem to be the most effective.  Also try using Incantations like Perfect Strike and Battle Fury on the Mage Wand.  She's got plenty in her arsenal to rip off anything attached to him.

I tried the Gorgons, but with their high cost, I couldn't keep them from being Mind-Controlled.  My opponent just built up and waited until he had the Gorgons controlled or Charmed (granted he lost more than half his life in the process), then he cast Purify before beating me down with his sword and my Gorgons.

My opponent's version of Forcemaster is very defensive.  He builds up mana to eliminate threats, and uses Teleport with Initiative when he has his answer ready.  Therefore, sitting back and spamming Golems seem pretty effective...  but outside that?  Dunno...  Play another Forcemaster? lol.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=9280

Its also worth mentioning that Forcemaster is not particularly fond of Iron Golems either, what with them having heavy armor and being immune to 99% of her go-to tactics.

-reads Iron Golem flavor text- ^.^ lulzy

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
The best way i have found to counter forcemaster is by going defensive, very defensive. I have played many games with the forcemaster and have found many ways to improve her but also that SHE IS BEATABLE. I had an argument about this last night but i proved it by losing to a very defensive wizard. So i conclude that her worst enemy is agony and slow defensive builds, at least for my build that is.
Evil acts are committed every day,
So therefore the world is evil.
I would have to disagree.
Yes, the world may be filled to the brim with darkness,
But, if we try, with a smile or a hug,
We can light it up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »
When I am playing her you could just concede.  Then you do not have to play against her. :lol:

I will not mind.  ;)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »
I thought I would just summon another Forcemaster to fight for me on turn 1. On turn 2 I summon a lazyboy to my opening zone with my quick cast action and a mini refrigerator full of Sam Adams Seasonal with my full action. Then just sit back and enjoy the duel.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
Sam Adams seems to whisper in my ear....go ahead and let the four Iron golems surround you.....you can just cast repulse.....Dont forget to cast mind control on one of them.... :)
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 09:35:38 AM »
Don't listen to Sam, he always gives me bad advice! lol

He also whispered...  your opponent spent 52 mana summoning iron golems??...  hmm, I guess I can turn them into harmless rocks with a simple forcefield and nullify...  now I've got till next week to take them down with my double striking sword... ...and they've all got upkeep +1...  who needs mind control :P

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
After a bunch more games over the weekend, here's what I found:

Wall of Thorns trick is very effective!

Wizard-
Earth Wizards have the best chance of any mage to take down the Forcemaster.  You can save Nullify for Bear Strength.  Hurl Boulder can keep her Dazed so her huge attacks and Battle Furies miss.  If she sets up the Battle Forge, save your Dissolves for Dancing Scimitar or her wands.  Seeking Dispel/Invisible Fists on a stick can really wreck you!  If the Forcefield combined with her Deflect is too much to punch through, then set up the Force Push/Wall of Thorns to eliminate the Charges and push her into your waiting Golems...  She'll still get 2 cancels (3 with Scimitar) a turn...  Or just Dispel it for one more mana than the wall combo.  Keep your Golems grouped together, and effective group attack takes a full action and you can respond with Group Heal.  It's much easier to Teleport her to your Golems.  Most Forcemaster builds farm Battle Forge/Harmonize and Crystals the first two turns, this creates a devastating 3-card hand every round, and since she can play the "react" game and doesn't use mana for creatures she'll win the mana war every time.  Don't be aggressive.  It may seem like hitting her before she has a chance to build up would be best, but her defenses cost very little mana and her sword is stronger than your attacks.  Try Teleporting forward one zone first round and cast Voltari Gate next to you.  You can Harmonize and use it to spawn your Golems while you build your defenses and mana.  Then you can Teleport her in on her initiative for a raze of attacks, then on your initiative you can Nullify her and follow up with a Tanglevine to prevent her from escaping or Teleporting out.

Fire wizards can use the same strategies unless she equips the Hauberk.  You can also try summoning Gorgon Archers if you can keep the Mind Controls off them.  Weak is super effective is she doesn't run Purify.

Air Wizards can ditch the Golems and Gate, saving your mana for a very aggressive solo lightning assault.  As long as you can Dispel her Forcefields, you can win the attack war with Dazing unavoidable attack spells.

Beastmaster-
Spam the arena with creatures, but spellbind a Force Hammer to deal with Obelisk once you get a few creatures out.  Keep your Pet Nullified and watch out for Mass Sleep.  She will most likely only be running one, if any.  You could try a Force Wave through a Wall of Thorns.  Falcons are very effective because they are fast, easy to summon, and work well with the Wall of Thorns combo.

Priestess/Warlord-
Both of these mages are efficient at building a defensive stronghold and spamming range strikes.  Use Wall of Thorns to take down the Forcefield and Dissolve her defenses.  Ignore Charms and just guard and let her pay the upkeeps.  You can summon more creatures.  Save Dispels for Mind Control.  Eliminate Obelisk ASAP.  Late game, the Forcemaster may destroy the walls and decide not to pay the upkeep on Forcefield just to replace it with a new one.   If you're out of Dispels, then Guard is your best friend!  As she spends attacks taking down your minions, you can punch through her defenses to set up your final attacks.

Warlock-
My versions of the Warlock have all been aggressive builds:  Lord of Fire buddy, Werewolf, Solo, etc.
So far, I've had No success against the Forcemaster.  Lord of Fire will get Mind Controlled even with a Nullify (She can Seeking Dispel/Mind Control in the same action).  Werewolf dies too fast.  And I haven't been able to keep up with her doublestrike and defenses when I run solo.  There are too many items to Dissolve.  Dancing Scimitars and Hauberk and Elemental Cloaks keep wrecking me.  Agony gets Dispelled right away.  The low mana production of Warlock simply cannot keep up with Forcemaster's arsenal.  I tried a slower approach, building up my equipment... but she just put Drain Power on Mage Wand to win the Mind Control/Dispel wars.  Besides luck, I haven't found any effective strategy.
For 11 Mana, her sword rolls 8 dice (10 with Bear Strength), while Warlock's 8 mana sword rolls 5.
But it's her innate Deflect that really tips the scales...  Free mana 50% miss for my burn spells or attacks.

Hope this helps!