May 04, 2024, 02:36:36 PM

Author Topic: Wizard build two core + exp  (Read 9366 times)

FrostWolf1023

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wizard build two core + exp
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
ok so this is my build that im thinking about running  i dont have too much experience playing except for a couple of games with the basic spell book

wizard - arcane and rock
1x arcane ring
1x lightning ring
2x mage wand
2x elemental wand
1x dragonscale hauberk
2x moonglow amulet
2x suppression cloak
2x huginn, raven familiar
2x earth elemental
4x iron golem
4x darkfenne hydra
6x mana crystals
1x gate to voltari
4x regrowth
4x teleport trap
6x dispel
6x dissolve
4x heal
2x steal enchantment
1x purge magic
2x hurl boulder

any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
i have two cores and the expansion to build from
i will be trying this out this weekend

Awkward

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard build two core + exp
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
Hey there,
I am not very experienced with the game either, but I would suggest to cut heavily on Mana Crystals. I don't think that you will put more than two in a single game, since they are Zone Exclusive. I think that it is much better to put 2 or even 3 Harmonizes.
Furthermore, you have no Nullify attached, and this is a really powerful spell. In my opinion you can take out some Dispells and Disolves - you won't probably use more than 2/3.
Unfortunately, I won't help you with the other cards, cuz I don't know all of them, but I think that you have too many big creatures. I don't think that you will ever use 4 Hydras.
Just a few pennies from my side, hope it helped, can't wait for someone else who would post his/her reflections.
GL in the games!

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
Quote from: "FrostWolf1023" post=7868
ok so this is my build that im thinking about running  i dont have too much experience playing except for a couple of games with the basic spell book

wizard - arcane and rock
1x arcane ring
1x lightning ring
2x mage wand
2x elemental wand
1x dragonscale hauberk
2x moonglow amulet
2x suppression cloak
2x huginn, raven familiar
2x earth elemental
4x iron golem
4x darkfenne hydra
6x mana crystals
1x gate to voltari
4x regrowth
4x teleport trap
6x dispel
6x dissolve
4x heal
2x steal enchantment
1x purge magic
2x hurl boulder

any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
i have two cores and the expansion to build from
i will be trying this out this weekend

On the face of it you seem to have too many big slow creatures and no way to reliably get them into position. Teleport trap is nice, but you should consider teleport or force push to shove you Hydra into the right spot so it can triple strike. Also question why you have lightning ring in there without any lightning spells? Also think you might be going overboard with the wands, amulets and mana crystals.

Just my thoughts!

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »
Earth elemental needs cheetah speed and teleports! Thats what I would recommend....Cheetah speeds and teleports. I would have a few less of each creature. (the x4 creatures need to become x2) and work on buffing those creatures with enchantments. Then focus on getting them in your opponents face with teleport and push. Less mana crystals, you could spend the action needed to cast it for something else, I would go with x1 moon glow amulet,it will not be a priority of most of the time.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=8080
Earth elemental needs cheetah speed and teleports! Thats what I would recommend....Cheetah speeds and teleports.

Cut you short, sorry.

Teleports would work fine, but he can't have Cheetah Speed because he is nonliving.

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=8080
Earth elemental needs cheetah speed and teleports! Thats what I would recommend....Cheetah speeds and teleports. I would have a few less of each creature. (the x4 creatures need to become x2) and work on buffing those creatures with enchantments. Then focus on getting them in your opponents face with teleport and push. Less mana crystals, you could spend the action needed to cast it for something else, I would go with x1 moon glow amulet,it will not be a priority of most of the time.

I don't have the cards in front of me but i'm reasonable sure that Earth Elemental is nonliving? Therefore he cant have cheetah on him. None the less your right about needing to supporting him with teleports / force push targets onto him.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:11:16 PM »
Oh man! Good call! I forgot he is non-living.
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:44:28 PM »
Most enchantments can't go on nonlivings, but the Wizard's ability to teleport around Earth Elementals is huge. For 6 mana, a teleport + earth elemental melee attack is quite a bit stronger than spending 6 mana on any attack spell. (For this reason, i would not bother with any attack spells in this deck) For a slow creature focused build, I'd definitely include Mage Wand x 2 and Teleport x 4, as well as Force Push x 4. The earth elemental may be Unmovable, but enemy units sure aren't.

It is worth noting that for Iron Golems, the "Charge" incantation gets rid of Slow and allows for a 7 dice quick attack. This does not work for Earth Elementals as their attacks are both full actions.

Dealing with flying creatures using Earth creatures is difficult (ie, practically impossible). I would suggest equipping a Mage Staff (or two) in your deck. Supplement this with Bear Strength, and having a 6 dice unavoidable attack that can hit flying creatures is awesome. Meleeing also saves mana, so that you can summon another Iron Golem next round!

Dealing with Defenses and Guards can be more problematic. Nothing sucks more than wasting a 6-7 dice melee attack on a Guarding Bobcat, and then the kitty rolls a successful dodge. Therefore you will want a reasonable supply of Perfect Strikes and Evades. Battle fury doesn't work on Earth Elementals so don't bother with it. Do keep a Falcon Precision in your pocket so when you melee with your Mage, you can ignore defenses as needed.

I would then throw a few Chains of Agony into the build, mainly as Nullify bait but also to (slightly) punish enemies for running away from your Slow guys. Throw in a Suppression Orb to do the same. Then put a few Tanglevines to really keep people in range of your slow creatures.

Normally as a Wizard, I include Banish for getting past Lord of Fire, Angels, and other very large creatures. However, for an Earth build, Turn to Stone is (IMO) superior to Banish. Turning to Stone for 3 rounds costs 14 mana, which is the same efficiency as Banish. However, you can choose how many rounds you want to leave the creature in Stone form. Also, it is possible (although difficult) to damage or even kill a Stone creature, whereas you cannot harm a Banished creature at all.

Now to really put that icing on the cake, throw out a Deathlock. That's right, a Deathlock. If you put it in the same square as your slow creature pile, the priestess/beastmaster won't be able to kill it off. It doesn't hurt you because all your creatures are Nonliving and cannot be healed anyways, and your Wizard relies on damage prevention/absorption rather than healing.

So this gives us a build that looks like this (120 points):

Creatures: 21
Earth Elemental, 3x Iron Golem, Darkfenne Hydra, Huginn

Conjurations: 14
Suppression Orb, 2x Mana Crystal, 2x Tanglevine, Deathlock

Equipment: 11
Mage Staff, 2x Mage Wand, Gauntlets of Strength, Dragonhide Armor, Elemental Cloak, Arcane Ring

Incantations: 44
4x Teleport, 4x Force Push, 2x Charge, 2x Evade, 2x Perfect Strike, 2x Dissolve, 2x Dispel, 2x Seeking Dispel, 2x Steal Enchantment, Destroy Magic

Enchantment: 30
Bear Strength, Falcon Precision, 2x Nullify, 2x Block, Decoy, Reverse Magic, 2x Jinx, 2x Teleport Trap, 2x Chains of Agony, 2x Turn to Stone

==============
I would suggest an opener like this:
Round 1) 20 mana
Arcane Ring (-2)
Move + Mana Crystal (-4)
(14 mana left, 11 channeling)

Round 2) 25 mana
Earth Elemental (-20)
Mana Crystal (-4)
(1 mana left, 12 channeling)

Round 3) 13 mana
Huginn (-11)
Facedown Bear Strength (-2)
(0 mana left, 12 channeling)

Round 4) 12 mana
Mage Prepare teleport and a mage staff, Huginn Prepare a Seeking Dispel.
Enemy mage not within 2 range: Equip mage staff (-5), move up 1 square and Guard.
Enemy mage within 2 range: Use Huginn to seeking dispel (-0) any facedowns (to get rid of nullify), then quickcast Teleport (-6) and activate Earth Elemental to melee (7 dice). Then reveal Bear Strength (-3) and melee him with your Mage (5 dice).

Voila, you've rolled 12 dice worth of damage on round 4, and you still have a 12-channeling Wizard plus Huginn. With 12 channeling, you can almost summon an Iron Golem every round. (!)

The goal of this build is to gradually accumulate a square full of nigh-unkillable Earth creatures (Elementals and Golems) and eventually Teleport + Tanglevine your opponent's mage in your Death Square.

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 12:24:53 AM »
Solid idea's there Pious, I especially like the idea of charge with the Golem. I'd be interested how it would go vs a swarm deck, wouldn't it be wise to squeeze a bit more AOE in there? You could put the idol of pestilence in there, as most of your creatures are non living.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
I'd be interested how it would go vs a swarm deck, wouldn't it be wise to squeeze a bit more AOE in there?

Darkfenne Hydra + Suppression Orb is an absolute hard counter to swarm decks. You don't need AOE.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 03:57:07 AM »
Cool concept build flea...  Seems like a good  deck to include the new summoning circle t promo u you earned in Ohio.  It would put your slow creatures  that much closer to the enemy, and possibly force a dispel from him.
Si vis pacem para bellum