May 04, 2024, 06:08:50 AM

Author Topic: Release the Ferret (BashCon adaptive Deck)  (Read 8377 times)

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Release the Ferret (BashCon adaptive Deck)
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
I finally have time to type out my deck. I play a cheap beast army which goes from having 3 dice attacks to 3 dice with +2. I select units with dodge and couple their ability with the dawnbreaker to maximize their staying power. In addition, I throw in some falcons because they fly and are fast. Most units, unless on guard, can't hit them and fast makes it so you can push an enemy into range to make an unexpect ambush.

CONCEPT: Build up swarm and equipment and wait to see what other player does in first two/three turns. Depending on what the other play does, I switch up the plan to either an equipment build or a big hitting bear or Tegu.

=====
The opener:
Round 1: Beast ring and bobcat
Round 2: Forge and Falcon

DECIDE WHAT TO DO!
1.   If other player bring out creature spawner (lair, bring out a bear and great ready for the charge
2.   If other is running in with a big hitter, start putting on equipment so that you can smack that amped creature into dust. The best weapon against big creatures is your mage with equipment (warning, if they have face down cards, you need to test what they are or remove them before you hit with 8 dice.
3.   If other sit back and users other opener, sit back and build up your creature army. Spread them out so they can snipe and so they don't get nuked by one single attack.
Option 1(Charge): The idea here is build up you bear with enchantments while protecting it with enchantments. You harrass enemy army once you get the bear out in order to seperate and preoccupy the enemy. Make good use of the dawnbreaker. With a big hitter, the enemy will want to kill it so use that to your advantage, put nasty reflect spells. Don't flip your enchantment till you are going to use them unless the enemy like dispell
Option 2(equipment):  With armor, a defense, and elemental resistance makes your mage pretty hardy. Make sure to have dragonscale and element cloak on or you will get your equipment exploded and it will hurt. The mage staff is super cheap but it has reach and ethereal so it solves most problems. Staff of Arcanum is nice if the enemy like to guard. You can then get in free range hits while they sit guarded. And you drain mana. In addition, you can wield a staff and a wand in your other hand. If you got a defense, with dawnbreaker, and you hit a creature with pillar of light,  you will be untouchable (without a perfect strike). Use that combo to take make the biggest threat irrelevant. Or the ferret of course. If Brogan comes out, take him out fast because he will chew through your army.
Option 2(Build the swarm): You will want to build the swarm up and make a Tegu a pet (or other medium hardy animal). The Tegu will be the anvil and you birds will be the hammer.   Use the tegu to put rots on the enemy mage. Once you have 5 or more beasts all in striking distance on the board, put down 2 rajan's in the same turn. Then, watch your birds and bobcats chew through even high level creatures. Use purge magic to even the game if the enemy has stacked enchantments on just one big creature. Also use teleport and push to move the enemy target creature into the position for your attacks.

Card List:
Gauntlets of Strength
Ring of beasts
Dragonscale Haubert
Regrowth Belt
Staff of Arcanum
Defection Bracers
Elemental Cloak
Mage Staff
Pillar of light
Blinding Flash
Elemental Wand
Falcon (2)
Bobcat (2)
Emerald Tegu
Ferret
Bear
Nullify(2)
Block(2)
Bull Endurance
Vampirism
Rhino Hide
Cheetah Speed (2)
Teleport Trap (2)
Poison Blood
Enfeeble
Hawkeye
Regrowth
Bear Strength (2)
Retailiate (2)
Circle of lightning
Cobra Reflexes
Dissolve (2)
Shift enchantment (2)
Dispel (2)
Purge Magic
Knockdown
Teleport
Force push
Battle Fury
Rajan's Fury
Rajan's Fury
Battle Forge
Tanglevine
Dawnbreaker

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Release the Ferret (BashCon adaptive Deck)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
I like this build, it seems versatile and has some excellent choices.  I particularly like your inclusion of the Temple of the Dawnbreaker.  Underrated card, I love it in my Priestess and it's going directly into my Forcemaster build as soon as I get the new stuff.  

Basically your defensive strategy is basically the same as my Priestess: stack miss chances (Defenses + Daze/Stun).  Good stuff.

Nice build.

One question though.  No Fellella?  I'm not so much as questioning whether or not you should include her, but rather why you aren't.  While familiars are very good, I've been on the fence about them myself recently because they have a lot of counters (Flameblast, Knockdown, Sleep, etc) and I'm curious to see if that's why you've excluded her from your build.  It's the reason I'm considering removing them from mine.

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
Fellella and Huginn seem to last about a turn any more when I play them.  In addition to those cards you mentioned, Ghoul Rot sees more than a few casts against familiars.  I stopped playing them in my latest round of decks, and while I feel like I'm missing out on actions I could have with them, I haven't put them back in as yet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
Fellella and Huginn are quickly taken care of with Geyser or other like "unavoidable" trait kind of attacks. Much like the Temples if you can use them effectivly then they are well worth thier cost in mana but if they die qucikly then you could of used that mana else where along with space in your Spellbook.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »
It's really, really awesome to watch a flock of Falcons suddenly go from 3 dice creatures to 5 dice creatures. (Rajan x 2)

I've seen a Lord of Fire go from full health to dead in one round of all flying, all squawking, feathers of fury. (to be honest, that's why I open Vampiress+Darkpact against Beastmaster)

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
Fellella and Huginn are great, no doubt. I choose the forge as my action efficient card. I have found 1 action efficient card is all you really want to deploy in a game (when they are fairly expensive). I love enchantments so I enjoy using Fellella but you are right, she is vulnerable. I use to play her offensively, to put on 1 or 2 curses while ducking in and out of range. And of course friendly enchants.  However, after playing with her, I believe she has to be kept in the back. And you really need to create a screen for her with your army. Or she will be sniped. Extra actions where you are casting enchants are strong because to place the cards down is so cheap. Then you can reveal cards as the battle changes.

In many games I have found it tough to budget the actions to put on protective equipment. And when you have no protective equipment, you die a quick death. For this reason, I love the forge. Also the forge is used as defensive insurance and typically gets its job done before it gets destroyed (if ever).

This deck has forge right now but the lair is also a strong action efficient card. When you have someone like Piousflea charging at your with a Lord of Fire, you learn to have a lean start. We use to both cast 2 or 3 mana crystal like spells but we have cut that down to two max (including a forge or lair).

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
Quote from: "halvor" post=7732
Fellella and Huginn are great, no doubt. I choose the forge as my action efficient card. I have found 1 action efficient card is all you really want to deploy in a game (when they are fairly expensive). I love enchantments so I enjoy using Fellella but you are right, she is vulnerable. I use to play her offensively, to put on 1 or 2 curses while ducking in and out of range. And of course friendly enchants.  However, after playing with her, I believe she has to be kept in the back. And you really need to create a screen for her with your army. Or she will be sniped. Extra actions where you are casting enchants are strong because to place the cards down is so cheap. Then you can reveal cards as the battle changes.

In many games I have found it tough to budget the actions to put on protective equipment. And when you have no protective equipment, you die a quick death. For this reason, I love the forge. Also the forge is used as defensive insurance and typically gets its job done before it gets destroyed (if ever).

This deck has forge right now but the lair is also a strong action efficient card. When you have someone like Piousflea charging at your with a Lord of Fire, you learn to have a lean start. We use to both cast 2 or 3 mana crystal like spells but we have cut that down to two max (including a forge or lair).

Good thoughts.  I only run one action efficient card as well due to the high cost of them (although Battle Forge isn't that bad really).  And yes, the familiars need to stay back to minimize their vulnerability.