May 04, 2024, 07:50:59 AM

Author Topic: Fire Wizard Build  (Read 13571 times)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Wizard Build
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
Quote from: "Sausageman" post=9186
But you have a Suppression Cloak in there too. This is duplicating a slot too. For the flexibility again?

Yes, for the flexibility. Different opponents require different counters.

Even though the games are quite different, building reactive spellbooks seems similar to building reactive decks in Magic. I am basically trying to figure out what I'm most likely play against and put in enough answers to handle it. The hardest part is the variation in spellbooks. Mage Wars is still young and doesn't have a national or worldwide meta established yet. Reactive books are very reflective of the local meta at the moment.

My goal is to build an early action advantage with the Battleforge and maintain it through long term mana denial. Once my opponent runs himself low on mana I want to make it difficult for him to build up mana in the quantities that will let him do whatever he wants. At that point I can start playing my threat(s) and hopefully the tables will be turned and my opponent will have to choose between defending himself and continuing to attack my mage.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 09:55:15 AM »
Hey Tacullu64. Why did you take out Drain Power? The card is way over costed IMO, just curious on your thought process. I too ran a elemental cloak with a suppression cloak in my wizard build. Its really just having a meta card in there, nothing wrong with that. When I play against a solo buff warlock, I use elemental, if Im playing a beastmaster Suppression cloak it is.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=9192
Hey Tacullu64. Why did you take out Drain Power? The card is way over costed IMO, just curious on your thought process. I too ran a elemental cloak with a suppression cloak in my wizard build. Its really just having a meta card in there, nothing wrong with that. When I play a solo buff warlock, I use elemental, if Im playing a beastmaster Suppression cloak it is.

I took out Drain Power for 2 reasons.

1.  I think it is over costed just like you said.

2.  Steady mana drain of 2 - 4 is more effective than I initially thought it would be. I'm not trying to say its super powerful or anything like that, but losing 6 - 12 mana over 3 turns makes a difference.

The way spellbooks are built and the game is played it's easier to put in "silver bullets" than other card games, so I don't mind duplicating equipment slots for cards that are only good against certain builds.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=9194
The way spellbooks are built and the game is played it's easier to put in "silver bullets" than other card games, so I don't mind duplicating equipment slots for cards that are only good against certain builds.

I think this is the point really, it's absolutely possible to do this IF (and I've found it's a big if in certain builds) you have the space to duplicate spells or equipment slots.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 08:06:54 PM »
Quote from: "Sausageman" post=9205
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=9194

I think this is the point really, it's absolutely possible to do this IF (and I've found it's a big if in certain builds) you have the space to duplicate spells or equipment slots.

The extra Elemental Cloak is primarily an insurance policy against lightening based conditions. Since I have a low creature count I don't want to lose mage actions to stuns and dazes, especially when I go on the attack.

When I started building spellbooks I would put in everything I thought I needed and I would end up with 170+ spell points for wizards and 140+ for the other mages. When I build them now I usually end up with 122 - 126. I've even ended up below 120 and had to find stuff to add. I still find it hard to shave off the extra spell points when I'm over.