May 04, 2024, 07:32:11 AM

Author Topic: Why Bearskin for the Beastmaster  (Read 5690 times)

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Why Bearskin for the Beastmaster
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »
Why does the Beastmaster have a Bearskin as an armor in the suggested basic spellbook?

The main set won't have any frost attack spells if I'm correct. So the Beastmaster would be better off with a Dragonscale Hauberk or something similar.

patrickconnor

Re: Why Bearskin for the Beastmaster
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »
For the flavor, Bearskin just seemed to match up well and provide some basic armor for the Beastmaster. Of course, our list is merely a "serving suggestion" and you can substitute any of the spells for something you feel would be better suited for your Mage.

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »
For most people this won't be a problem, and with the release of the Necromancer and his frost attacks even less, but there might be some people who will play the suggested builds for a while and they might think that the Beastmaster is underpowered. Both the Warlock and the Wizard have fire attacks and they are also protected against them with their suggested armors. Just a thought, not a complaint.

Kalidor2000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
I don't have the cards in front of me, but I seem to recall that the cost, in spell points, would be much greater for the BM adding a Dragonscale, no?

The Bearskin not only makes thematic sense but costs much less I think...

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:18:19 PM »
Quote from: "Kalidor2000" post=2997
I don't have the cards in front of me, but I seem to recall that the cost, in spell points, would be much greater for the BM adding a Dragonscale, no?

The Bearskin not only makes thematic sense but costs much less I think...

Bearskin if 6cc level 1 nature
Dragon scale is 6cc level 1 fire

so it only cost 1 extra point when you build your book.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »
BM pays triple for fire school.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
just a thought

for the beast master you could kit a
Dragon scale for 3 spell book points (fire cost triple) with [2 armor] [-2 flame] costing 6 mana

or

Bear skin + elemental cloak also for 3 spell book points (1 + 1 x 2 arcane) with [3 armor] [ -4 frost, -2 fire, -2 lightning] costing 12 mana

the later provides better stats but granted the 2nd option takes and extra turn to achieve and an extra 6 mana. as the beast master him self will eventually be taking attack that are also non-fire, the extra 1 defense seams worth it in my opinion.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 12:23:46 AM »
Quote from: "nitrodavid" post=7922
just a thought

for the beast master you could kit a
Dragon scale for 3 spell book points (fire cost triple) with [2 armor] [-2 flame] costing 6 mana

or

Bear skin + elemental cloak also for 3 spell book points (1 + 1 x 2 arcane) with [3 armor] [ -4 frost, -2 fire, -2 lightning] costing 12 mana

the later provides better stats but granted the 2nd option takes and extra turn to achieve and an extra 6 mana. as the beast master him self will eventually be taking attack that are also non-fire, the extra 1 defense seams worth it in my opinion.

It depends on who you're fighting against.  Against a warlock, it might be worth getting both the dragonscale AND the elemental cloak.  It is a bit expensive, but it significantly reduces the effectiveness of Warlock spells or melee.  Fire Wizard also.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 12:59:40 AM »
My Necropian Vampirsses are also waiting for some Frost spells to pop up so that they can be even more awesome than they already are.