May 04, 2024, 09:39:40 AM

Author Topic: Post your best Warlock build  (Read 27990 times)

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Post your best Warlock build
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »
I keep hearing people say that Firebrand Imps are bad. They are not!!

An Imp has a 2 dice attack with a 1/3 burn chance. This is roughly equivalent (in damage) to a 3 dice attack. (An average burn token deals 3 damage over 2 rounds)

This means that the Imp has the same offensive power as a Fox, but instead of being Fast it has 1 extra HP and it is Fire Immune. Don't underestimate the tactical advantage of being able to Firestorm your own army, or lay down Fire Walls and walk straight through them. (This is an awesome way to counter a ranged attack heavy army)

Also, 6 health is a "sweet spot" where it is relatively difficult to kill in one hit. A 4-5 dice attack has a very significant chance of killing a 5 HP creature in one hit but will often leave a 6 HP creature with 1 HP.

Of course, the firebrand imp is 100% useless against anything fire resistant, but as a corollary it is really good against flowers and watchtowers and stuff.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Post your best Warlock build
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »
Agreed!  I don't usually go the Fire Wall into attack route with my book, since walls are kinda expensive and I'm not good at managing them (been pushed through them too many times), but being able to cast a Ring of Fire and not have to worry about decimating my own army is extremely potent.  Imps and Hellions simply don't care, and the Slayers have enough health either way, and probably won't get burned due to lowered effect die numbers.

I probably cast more Imps from my Pentagram than anything else.  I know that many forum-goers seem to really dislike the Pentagram, but swarming with a couple/few imps is a good fall-back plan against defenses after my Perfect Strikes run out.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock