May 04, 2024, 05:40:00 AM

Author Topic: Post your best Warlock build  (Read 27989 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Post your best Warlock build
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
The Warlock is often talked about as being very powerful (one poster on BGG went as far as to say they were afraid he was broken) and in fact, some people have boasted that they have never lost with the Warlock.  As a means of getting a good conversation regarding "deck construction" going, I'm hoping people will post their Warlock builds so we can talk about some particulars.

Obviously play styles matter, so please include any "key strategies" that make the build work...well, other than "run at them and bash them in the face with Lash of Hellfire"  :P

goofy

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Post your best Warlock build
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
lord of fire 2

Vampirism
Enfeeble
Magebane
Death link 2

Firestorm 3
Ring of fire4

Stone wall 2
Mama crystal 2
Deadlock
Mordoks obelisk
Suppression orb
Battle forge

Dragonscale hauberk 2
Regrowth belt
elemental cloak
F ring
ElementAl wand
L of hellfire 4
Mage wand
Helm of fear 4

Battle fury 6
Drain life
Teleport 4
Explode 2

goofy

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
I use teleport to get to there mage faster . I was going agaist the priestess and won when she was at max life at 90 with a lot of guys out. I run alot of copies of cards that r key for me to sin . I have not lost with him play 15 games

kamishev

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »
It seems like you have 4 MW sets?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
Quote from: "kamishev" post=2842

Four sets would be even more than me. Goofy may have got singles some place.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »
Quote from: "goofy" post=2841
I use teleport to get to there mage faster . I was going agaist the priestess and won when she was at max life at 90 with a lot of guys out. I run alot of copies of cards that r key for me to sin . I have not lost with him play 15 games

I'll give it a run and see how it plays, but I don't think this build would be difficult to beat TBH.  No offense intended, but I don't see how this could be undefeated.  You aren't running any real defensive cards like Nullify or Reverse Magic.  Seems to me you'd spend the whole game getting Dazed/Stunned and/or Pushed all over the place.  How do you deal with that?

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:23:25 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2844
Quote from: "kamishev" post=2842

Four sets would be even more than me goofy may have got singles some place.

He might be running proxies

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
That is what I recommend when testing new build and not having enough cards
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »
i should comment that the priestess life was 50 not 90 must have been a typo.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »
One weakness I can spot with goofy's WL build is that if someone has lots of Reverse Attacks/Magic, Blocks, Nullify, and Jinxes then that would effectively stop all those curses, and LoHF's attack too.

Though I'd be slightly scared going up against ALoF. He hits hard no joke  :pinch:
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
That's a nice spell you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
Koz, I think it's important to remember that when you Know exactly what someone has in their spellbook, of course their weaknesses will be obvious. goofy can still put down an enchantment on a creature (that he's put a Death Link on as well, say), not flip it over right away, and bluff a Nullify. In a game you won't know if he has one or not.

That said, I do agree that having a Nullify or two (and a Dispel or two) in your Warlock spellbook is a very good plan. It's much cheaper to have the Nullify than to re-cast the Lash of Hellfire over and over again. And what if you're up against another Warlock, who drops an Agony on you?

I guess I could post my list.

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »
Fireball
Firestorm
Flameblast
Ring of Fire

Battle Forge
Deathlock
Gate to Hell
Idol of Pestilence
Mana Crystal
Mana Flower
Pentagram
2 Wall of Fire

Adramelech, Lord of Fire
2 Dark Pack Slayer
Darkfenne Bat
Firebrand Imp
Flaming Hellion
Goran, Werewolf Pet
Malacoda
Necropian Vampiress
2 Skeletal Sentry

Agony
Bear Strength
Chains of Agony
Death Link
Enfeeble
Force Sword
Ghoul Rot
Hellfire Trap
Magebane
Maim Wings
Marked for Death
Nullify
Poisoned Blood
Vampirism

Demonhide Armor
Elemental Wand
Fireshaper Ring
Gauntlets of Strength
Helm of Fear
Lash of Hellfire
Moloch's Torment
Ring of Curses

Battle Fury
Charge
Dispel
Drain Life
2 Explode
Force Push
Seeking Dispel
Teleport
Vampiric Strike

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »
Keep in mind I only have the base set. Once I have a few more copies of Battle Fury, Bear Strength and Nullify I may change this list a bit.

Basically the idea is that I have many angles of attack and a wide array of counters. And I use the spells that seem appropriate for the opponent in question.

Priestess gets Deathlock.

Swarmy Beastmaster gets Idol of Pestilence, maybe a few Skeletons, maybe Ring of Fire when I'm really surrounded, maybe Adramelech + sweep. Not really sure what's best there. But Idol + Blood Reaper seems really good.

Wizard gets punched repeatedly in the face, and his Voltaric Shield worn down by bats and imps. And then I have a Teleport to bring him back if he tries to run away, or maybe to Teleport away his Hydra.

Not sure what you do against another Warlock. Maybe put up Force Sword? Maybe Agony them or Vampirism yourself and win the damage race?

Pentagram comes out if they have early summons, stays in the book if they don't.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
Quote from: "the_iron_troll" post=3012
Koz, I think it's important to remember that when you Know exactly what someone has in their spellbook, of course their weaknesses will be obvious. goofy can still put down an enchantment on a creature (that he's put a Death Link on as well, say), not flip it over right away, and bluff a Nullify. In a game you won't know if he has one or not.

That said, I do agree that having a Nullify or two (and a Dispel or two) in your Warlock spellbook is a very good plan. It's much cheaper to have the Nullify than to re-cast the Lash of Hellfire over and over again. And what if you're up against another Warlock, who drops an Agony on you?

I guess I could post my list.

Sure, you can bluff things like Nullify, but it will become quickly apparent that they are doing that becasuse you're going to be targeting them regardless.  The problem with Goofy's build is that he's going to get Sunned/Dazed and Pushed all over the place.  He has no Perfect Strikes, so Defense dice will really hinder him as well, as will creatures on guard (he has no Mongoose Agility either).  My Priestess build would exploit the hell out of his build by Dazing/Stunning him with various effects while using Defense dice (backed by the Temple of the Dawnbringer) and guards to absorb all of his attacks (with a few Reverse Attacks if I feel like he might actually get one through).  I would be surprised if he was able to hit my Priestess very often, if at all (being Dazed plus me having multiple Defense dice is a lot of miss chances).  

I won't comment on your build because you admit to only haveing one set and that is a major drawback.  I do think your build is too unfocused and will result in you not being able to really do any one thing particularly well.

goofy

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 01:56:23 AM »
A first of all u dont know how I play it . Second I got two copies and my friend has two copies . I am also a very good player . I pick up the came in a couple of hours I play a play tester and beat him . His name was shadow . At gen con . sorry if that songs mean but it ture. I been playing since gen con 6 to 8 maybe more game a week . I posted a list out . And most poeple run 2 and 3 dispel they will run out . If I run they I only run 2 . Thank u sorry if u take this wrong