May 02, 2024, 07:23:53 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Tournament @ GenCon Indy 2014  (Read 49263 times)

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
GenCon Report
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 01:34:17 AM »
So, who can tell us how all is going at GenCon?

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: GenCon Report
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 03:01:34 AM »
Man, i was thinking that someone is already reporting :D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 07:17:31 AM »
I think Rick from Let's Level Up was trying to do some coverage of it but I haven't heard any updates about it. I'm not sure if it was going to be throughout the tournament or just the finals, or what.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-PsDKtBnZE

Mage Wars Domination explained by tox!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:01:13 PM by Cnoedel »
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »
I think Rick from Let's Level Up was trying to do some coverage of it but I haven't heard any updates about it. I'm not sure if it was going to be throughout the tournament or just the finals, or what.

I believe Rick will report on the Tourniment on Zaterday. Further it seems to be troll the internet for bits.  Check out photos on Mage Wars FB page fot Toni Drling as Priestess

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 07:17:10 AM »
I'm in the tourney using my Forcemistress so don't want to reveal too much (2-0 atm, wish me luck) First round had lots (4+) of necros, wizards and warlocks(arraxian no adramalechs) with a smattering of forcemasters (3?), druids(2?), beastmasters (1), warlord (1?). Haven't seen a single priestess, priest, joktari, or adramalech. I'm rather surprised at the lack of lady locks with the recent release of FiF but maybe folks haven't had time to get a handle yet. I believe total people was 25-30.

Most I interesting matchup I saw was lock v lock, both beatdown arraxian builds standing toe to toe in the center wailing on each other like Rocky Balboa heavyweights. I believe the winner only had 2-3 life left.

AW is selling magnetized status boards and acrylic colored dice which look really cool so that is my mission today.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
Good Luck Battle Hamster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Tournament @ GenCon Indy 2014
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
You should be able to join on site with no issue every year we have had about 18-24 sign ups.

I got in early on Wednesday and switched around my Friday schedule in order to get a place. It was nice to see that all 32 slots were filled by Friday.

Thanks for running the show for us.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:48 AM »
So, the StrayWood beastmaster wins the Tournament. With Falcon Swarm! I must say, i am really interested in his spellbook. Also, i can comfortably say to each new player, that there is no super strong mage, which wins every tournament, it is all about player it self and his ability how he uses his tools (spellbook and mage).

Congratulation to the winner! Now i have to wait until America will had morning and more news and pictures will flood MW facebook and this forum :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 02:44:34 AM »
Boo my friend I'm in America and I can hardly wait lol. Like you I'm very interested in that spell book as the Straywood Beast Master is my favorite Mage. I'd also like to know what he faced as well.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 09:21:56 AM »
I'm Alexander West's brother and the forcemaster he faced in round 1 of the top 8.  Here's a quote of his brief summery from another thread:
Arcane Wonders said they were going to put out a full report with the top 8 booklists, lots of pictures, and some metagame analysis of decks.  I also plan to write a tournament report which I will probably complete sometime this week.  Without going too deep into it at the moment, I'll give a brief sketch of my plan:

T1: Lair (aggressive move to NC and cast in FC, defensive cast in start corner)
T2: Deploy Falcon (pet), QC Falcon, punch if possible
T3: Deploy Falcon, QC Falcon, punch if possible

It's really important to get a critical mass of birds on the table fast so that the opponent is pressured to spend time armoring up or countermeasures like archers or flying creatures can be killed before taking (much) action.  From there I mostly tried to use cards like Dispel/Dissolve/Acid Ball as countermeasures to defensive measures my opponent might take.  Acid Ball vs. armor stacks or to soften armor on conjurations, Dissolve vs. cloaks, bows/whips, and sometimes chest pieces, Dispel vs. damage barriers, etc.  Etherian Lifetree and Healing Spring both played a big role in keeping falcons alive vs. some threats (the tree is amazing vs. Ring of Fire) while Rajan's Fury provided extra firepower when a critical mass of Falcons were achieved.

My opponents at the tournement:
Swiss:
Arraxian Crown Warlock (4-0)
Anvil Throne Warlord (0-4)
Water Wizard (4-0)
Arraxian Crown Warlock (3-1)
Top 8:
Forcemaster (4-0)
Air Wizard (4-0)
Fire Wizard (3-1) - Charmyna Blasting Banker book

More to come later, but for now I should probably go back to sleep!   ;)

The short version is: acid ball made swarm viable since Druid vs Necro came out, wizard isn't king.  Alexander's book had virtually no new cards from FIF.  I would have played a goblin swarm warlord if I had had time to test the book, but I had to stick to my trusted forcemaster.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »
Where i can see the rules of this tournament? thanks

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
Where i can see the rules of this tournament? thanks

HERE
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
You should be able to join on site with no issue every year we have had about 18-24 sign ups.

I got in early on Wednesday and switched around my Friday schedule in order to get a place. It was nice to see that all 32 slots were filled by Friday.

Thanks for running the show for us.

NP good to hear you had fun. My voice is shot I knew it was going on Friday hoping it held all weekend but it did not.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 12:06:11 PM »
About 2.5 hours till I get home then I pass out will get report up tomorrow or Wednesday.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage