May 02, 2024, 10:35:31 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Tournament @ GenCon Indy 2014  (Read 49257 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Tournament @ GenCon Indy 2014
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
The Mage Wars Tournament for  GenCon Indy 2014. Will be held on  August 16, 2014

For more info you can check out the Arcane Wonders Tournament HQ and / or http://www.gencon.com/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:55:43 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Tournament @ GenCon Indy 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »
Just the one tournament this year or will there be qualifiers? Also, are there any plans to organize casual playing?
I care not how many minions I lose,
the Darkfenne always has more graves.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »
Have not heard about anything other than the 1 tourney.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:58:14 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »
Could anyone be starting to make recordings of these tournaments ? I would love to see match coverage on YouTube ! Just like the ones you can see from magic the gathering....i can already imagine a pro tour mage wars, or a mage wars grand prix being aired live on twitch !
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
I also wish this would happen, as do all of us. However, I'm quite sure it would be very expensive to get full coverage of a tournament.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

urdarkerend

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Im not seeing Mage Wars/Arcane Wonders anywhere on the events list for GenCon2014. Is it just not an official GenCon event or what is the deal?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
Still waiting on final word

surtur5150

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:34:50 PM »
I'm excited to play and meet people!

urdarkerend

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
No updates to the Gencon events page yet, BUT i do see Arcane Wonders as Booth# 743. So there is still hope for a tourney :D

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »
I'm going to start signing up for events this weekend. I would like Mage Wars to be included in the list, but if they aren't posted soon, I might not be able to join in the fun.

PLEASE get them on the schedule ASAP!
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
Found out from FB it is an issue on Gencons end.  :o AW is working to get the events listed  8)

Jordan Moton Will the Mage Wars team be at GenCon? I didnt see you guys on the events list...Like ·  · May 10 at 10:17pm
  • Mage Wars Yes sir! Check back soon for an update.May 11 at 8:36pm · Like
  • Ray Slover They are listed on the map in booth 743 which is right next to the artist area. But when scanning the events, I did not see any events listed.May 14 at 9:34pm · Like
  • Mage Wars We will be there and we do have events and a tournament planned.  We're working with the Gen Con team as to why they aren't showing up though, but rest assured, we are VERY much looking forward to Gen Con and meeting up with all our fans!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:50:13 PM by Shad0w »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Tournaments @ GenCon Indy 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 02:59:18 AM »
This is the info I currently have about the events.  8)

Mage Wars Apprentice Tournament - Thurs - 08/14/2014 08:00 PM

Swiss format. Players will be grouped in pods of 8 & use a pre-constructed Apprentice spellbook.

75 minute rounds
Swiss Style
3 rounds                                               

4 points for a win before time - 0 points to the loser

When time is called you complete the current round you are in then. To see if a winner can be decided after time we looked at the highest remaining life totals.

To be clear: Highest Remaining Life Total = Life - Damage.

3 Points for a win after time - 1 point to the loser
1 point to each player for a perfect draw

Mage Wars Gen Con 2014 Championship - Fri - 08/15/2014 04:00 PM
You can register for this round without having played in any other events

This mulit-day, swiss-style. Entrants must bring a Tournament Legal spellbook. Top 8 will compete Sunday for the Championship.

75 minute rounds
Swiss Style
3 rounds on Friday then 3 rounds on Saturday                                               

When time is called you complete the current round you are in then. To see if a winner can be decided after time we looked at the highest remaining life totals.

Only cards have have been released in a full Mage Wars product will be legal.

Mage Wars Gen Con 2014 Championship - Sat - 08/16/2014 04:00 PM
This event is invite-only.
In the event you may not use a different book from the day 1 book

75 minute rounds
Swiss Style
3 rounds on Fri then 3 rounds on Sat with a cut to top 8 for the Sunday event                                               

Mage Wars Gen Con 2014 Championship Finals - Sun - 08/17/2014 10:00 AM

This event is invite-only. (Top 8 with the best record from the past 2 days)
In the Finals you not may use a different book

75 minute rounds
Single elimination among finalists from day 1 & 2.

If you have no clear winner another round is played. Until the match has a winner using the " To see if a winner can be decided after time we looked at the highest remaining life totals."

Spellbook preregistration for the Mage Wars Gen Con 2014 Championship begins at 3pm on Friday

Random books will be checked on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If you get checked on any day you can still be checked on another day. If your book is not registered correctly when checked during a round you will get an automatic round loss. If  a book is checked and it is not correct before the event you must correct the error but no loss is given.

In the Mage Wars Gen Con 2014 Championship players are require to bring all mage specific tokens they need to play their build.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:11:58 PM by patrickconnor »

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »
I saw that it was finally listed last night. Unfortunately, I also learned that I can't drop events until GenCon starts now to make room for the tournament, so I'm just hoping that there will be an opening left....

It would have been nice to have at least known the time slot(s) to plan to keep open prior to GenCon opening to event sign-ups. Maybe next year you can tell us that much in advance, at least.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

shawk

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 07:32:43 AM »
Looking at all the events it would seem that Saturday should be like Friday's event as they have 32 seats listed.  Not sure it should have been invite only, would have thought the finals on Sunday would be the only invite only as it states it is for the finalists from day one and two.  Someone should ask Patrick to clarify this, I would hate for Saturday to have no participants.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Tournament @ GenCon Indy 2014
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »
Does each round start at 4pm or end at 4pm? Also what's the entry fee?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:04:18 AM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.