May 02, 2024, 11:46:44 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Tournament @ Origins Game Fair 2014  (Read 22853 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Tournament @ Origins Game Fair 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to post these Shad0w. Always good to see what books are used at tournaments.  Surprised to see the lack of a Wizard being played again. & 3 out of 6 used Druid. Odd. Wonder why people aren't playing Wiz, because he feels too easy to win with perhaps? Or just isn't fun to them? Curious..
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »
I'll get hate for this Winter but I'll take a stab at your question....cause by now a lot of people can counter a wizards tricks? I look at the books posted and they are pretty good and I think the Warlock that won has the tools to take a wizard down. I don't think this one tournament will change anybodies minds but then I've never seen a wizard win one of our local events either.

I played a wizard today run by our reigning local champ and took it down with a Druid book I recently put together. The wizard is a VERY good powerful mage, but play em enough and you learn how to counter em just like anything else.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:43:19 AM by silverclawgrizzly »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
Shadow I wanna say thank you for posting these books and the results my friend. That's pretty wild about the three druids! I've recently started playing her myself again, I may steal a few ideas from those books.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
I'll get hate for this Winter but I'll take a stab at your question....cause by now a lot of people can counter a wizards tricks? I look at the books posted and they are pretty good and I think the Warlock that one has the tools to take a wizard down. I don't think this one tournament will change anybodies minds but then I've never seen a wizard win one of our local events either.

I played a wizard today run by our reigning local champ and took it down with a Druid book I recently put together. The wizard is a VERY good powerful mage, but play em enough and you learn how to counter em just like anything else.

I won't give you any hate, on the contrary, I hope you are right. It would be nice if people started learning how to beat them and end their reign of dominance.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 06:33:21 AM »
sorry, I seem to have overlooked the results.  were these the books for the final rounds or all the competitors in the competition.  What was the results of the duels?

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 06:35:00 AM »
Oops, never mind, there it all is on Page one,  going blind in my old age.  Wonderful Shadow, thanks for the info

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 06:40:18 AM »
thank you very much for that report. Winner Warlock with only one creature... yeah, i definetly can imagine what kind of game it was :)

IF somebody is from czech republick, just check our facebook ( mage wars cz ). I rewrote a whole report and put some questions for discussion :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
thank you very much for that report. Winner Warlock with only one creature... yeah, i definetly can imagine what kind of game it was :)

IF somebody is from czech republick, just check our facebook ( mage wars cz ). I rewrote a whole report and put some questions for discussion :)

I talk to Joseph L about the match after the result to find out what happened. He said Harry had moved in and it looked like he was going to attack next turn. So when Joe did the planning phase both his card were to counter an aggressive line of play. Harry held back for a turn costing Joe to lose tempo.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »
That is brilliant! Instead of planning agressive move and trying to came with a solution how to overcome probable counter spells, he just didnt use aggresive spells at all!

Isnt there a line in "art of war" from Sun Tsu about this?

My lust for a instant game just went critical. See you tomorrow :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »
Only six players for Origins?  That's a bit surprising honestly.  I had thought this game was pretty popular, but six players is a very low turnout, even for a game of this type. 

Not to detract from anyone's victories, but these tournament results really don't tell us much about the meta either.  Six players with no Wizards, Forcemaster's, or Priest/Priestess's just doesn't tell us much about the relative power levels of the various mages.

Also, an all core book winning is very odd to me too.  It makes it seem as if the expansions haven't changed the meta at all, and we're still sitting at square one.  It seems obvious that the expansions have indeed changed the meta, which is why results of this nature are very, very strange.

I just don't know what to make of these results honestly.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 04:36:24 PM »
It was listed as an all day event and $18 to enter. I had over 10 people tell me that is why they are not playing
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
The line of over 2000 people clogging the main entryway certainly didn't help.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »
The line of over 2000 people clogging the main entryway certainly didn't help.

That line lasted for several hours. I think it did not start to slow till about noon

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 04:42:56 PM »
Were you actually charging $18 to enter or was it just listed as that?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »
Were you actually charging $18 to enter or was it just listed as that?

It was $18

AW gave away
3 canvas prints
4 trophies
And 1 ipad