May 15, 2024, 02:43:01 PM

Author Topic: The King of the Mountain (Anvil Throne v 1.0)  (Read 4490 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
The King of the Mountain (Anvil Throne v 1.0)
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:47:40 AM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]The King of the Mountain[/spellbookname]
[mage]Warlord[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=]1 x  Altar of Carnage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Altar of Domination[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Armory[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ03]1 x  Barracks[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Construction Yard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ04]2 x  Garrison Post[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Harshforge Monolith[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Rolling Fog[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]4 x  Wall of Earth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKW01]2 x  Wall of Steel[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=]1 x  Bloodcrag Minotaur[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC07]2 x  Dwarf Panzergarde[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC04]1 x  Goblin Builder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC05]3 x  Goblin Grunt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC07]1 x  Grimson Deadeye, Sniper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]2 x  Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Gurmash[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Otto Kronig[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Talos[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]2 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]2 x  Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=]1 x  Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  General's Signet Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]1 x  Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ06]1 x  Horn of Gothos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x  Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ08]1 x  Ring of Command[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x  Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i02]2 x  Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i04]1 x  Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]2 x  Conquer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]2 x  Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]2 x  Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]2 x  Flank Attack[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Alrighty here's my first take on the new Warlord. Played this against my friend who is pretty new at the game and got the W. But he's new so it doesn't really indicate anything to me. The spellbook could be terrible and I wouldn't know after that game b/c he did some pretty dumb stuff.

Anyways, I recorded the videos of the gameplay and put them on YouTube. The first part is -->Here<-- and the second part is -->Here<--. Yes, they're terrible quality, I apologize for that. The next set of videos will hopefully be better.

For this spellbook, I'm thinking of taking out the Minotaur, Lion Savagery, maybe Grimson, and possibly a couple more. I've found that I shouldn't really have enough mana to bring out expensive creatures since I try to bring out at least 1 per turn. I'll definitely add in a Battle Forge and I'm not sure what else.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: The King of the Mountain (Anvil Throne v 1.0)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how I want to handle openings for the Anvil Throne Warlord. I tried him with a Barracks + Battle Forge build, but I think that build is probably better suited for the Bloodwave Warlord.

I definitely agree that Barracks based play shouldn't focus on expensive creatures. General's Signet Ring and Armory are more efficient if you play creatures more often.

When do you play Eisenach's Forge Hammer? I've been struggling with trying to figure out a decent timing for that one. If you open with Battle Forge + Eisenach's Forge Hammer, you don't have enough mana to play any big creatures until round 3, at which point you might want to be hitting things in order to try to proc the stun chance. But playing it later reduces the efficiency of the discount. I've been toying with a double Mana Crystal opening that equips my mage slightly later, once I have some creatures down, but I'm still not happy with it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »
Somehow didn't see this reply, sorry!! I've taken out the Minotaur, Grimson, and a few other cards. Added in 2x Crossbowmen and Battleforge and some other stuff.

I actually haven't used the Hammer yet. I put it in there just cause it's new and I figured I'd give it a try, but I've only played the book once and didn't use it.

A Battleforge + Hammer opening doesn't seem to work well but like you said, it needs to be played early to get the most out of it. Hmm. I was considering trying him out as like a solo-ish Mage but don't think that would end well for me.

I think my favorite opening is still the Barracks + Construction Yard. But we'll see if that changes as I play more games with this book.

I'm new to the Warlord in general, so this is a learning process for me :)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
I want to try opening with Mana Crystals, get 2-3 creatures down, then play Battle Forge and Hammer. The thing is that Hammer + Akiro's Favor seems really good, but you need a Battle Forge down to make the discount maximally efficient, and it's often more important to get a bit of armor than a weapon early on. You can cast Hammer with the Rune of Precision from a Battle Forge, then QC Leather Gloves with the Rune of Fortification for 10 mana from your mage, which is what you should probably do once you get the Forge down.

Overall I like Barracks -> Construction Yard as an option, but I tend to think that Barracks based play works better for the Bloodwave Warlord.

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »
I played a match last night with the Warlord against the Male Warlock and won. I wanted to use the hammer, but the ability didn't justify the mana cost in my head. I changed it to the Spiked Mace at the last second before the match. It was a pretty decent match. The only mistake my friend made was not pressuring me early ion He didn't start coming at me until turn 3 and by then I had my economy pretty much up and running by that point.

Managed to get Talos out, even after the LOF blew up one of my outpost. He was awesome. Even though my friend managed to kill him, he bought me enough time to get out ranged support and an Iron golem to start hammering him into a corner.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »
The obvious card to compare with Eisenach's Forge Hammer is Staff of Asyra. The Hammer lacks the bonuses against Nonliving creatures, and is less likely to Daze, but it has the built in discount, and it's cheaper. Plus the Anvil Throne Warlord can give it Piercing. The issue is that the timing is trickier because of the discount. Overall, since Staff of Asyra is often worth playing, I tend to think that Eisenach's Forge Hammer should be worth playing if you can get the timing right.

I need to play Talos at some point. I've never gotten the Altar of Domination down.

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »

I need to play Talos at some point. I've never gotten the Altar of Domination down.

This is the first time I played as the Anvil Throne Warlord and truth be told, I didn't think I was going to be able to get it out to begin with. In my mind, Talos was sort of a secondary objective for me. He is good, but not auto-win good. I was thinking if I had managed to get him out, great. If not, no big deal. The Alter of domination is a great distraction against the other mage. Once my opponent saw me get that out, he left my mage alone and started to target my outposts. That allowed my mage to sit back, build up mana, and defend my outposts.

I will say it is such a feeling of satisfaction when the Altar has enough tokens and Talos is summoned  ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"