May 19, 2024, 08:05:19 PM

Author Topic: Expanding from the Core Set  (Read 4738 times)

redben

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Expanding from the Core Set
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:29:36 PM »
I have the Core Set and I'm struggling to figure out where to go from there to expand my selection of cards. Ideally I'd just buy all of the expansions but that's not something I can afford. Assuming I'm not bothered about getting any of the non-Core Set mages, and that I just want access to cards I don't get in the Core Set, what is the best way to about it? Does every expansion have cards unique to it or do they get duplicated in other sets?

Downloaded

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding from the Core Set
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:21:42 AM »
I am in your exact position and from what I understand if you just want cards from the core set, you're going to want to get some of the core spell tomes.  They are cheap and just contain duplicates, I believe.

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:17 AM »
You can check out the spell lists, rule books etc. here: http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources-and-downloads

It's great that they are freely available for download.  Thanks Arcane Wonders!

• Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

redben

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »
I'm aware that they are there. As best as I can tell the spells are by individual expansion, which doesn't tell me which spells are unique to the expansion, which are duplicates, or where they're duplicates from. Or if it does I haven't seen it. Nor does it tell me which is the best one to get after the Core Set or where the most used cards are found. Again, if it does then I've missed it.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:14:05 AM »
"Does every expansion have cards unique to it or do they get duplicated in other sets"
99.9% Unique

tldr: get Druid vs necro first.

I just got them chronologically, but I think they differ in quality. I got conquest of kumenjaro(COK) first and i either like it the least or consider it part of the core by now. its the least school-focused of the expansions(according to me), so it has a few cards for everyone.

I would start with the expansion which offers schools/mages which appeal to you. If that fails, start with Druid vs Necro since its the best one :P. I'm biased because I love the druid, but Arcane wonders did a podcast on what to buy, and they rated D v N high too

Don't get forged in fire until after you get forcemaster vs warlord(FvW) unless you want to proxy a few cards(barracks and standard bearer for example). FIF or FvW alone is a warlord with limited tools(though the other mage in each respective set is fun). I believe FvW is out of print, but I found its warlord too underdeveloped until FIF came out. The forcemaster is pretty fun though. I'd say FvW is better than COK, but it probably costs twice as much, and you stated that price is a factor.

arbitrary order: Druid vs necro-> conquest of kumenjaro -> FvW ->FIF

Dominion is coming out soonish so if you arent buying immediately, check that out as an option.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:15:08 AM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

redben

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 08:27:05 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice  :D

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:40:57 AM »
If you only want to use the core set mages, then Conquest or Forged in Fire can be very good for you. Conquest has fantastic additions to all the core mages, and its cards have a wide spread across schools. Now Echephron is right, you want to get Forcemaster Vs Warlord if you want maximum value out of Forged in Fire. However, If you love the Warlock, it can be worth it regardless.

As to FvW, a restock is coming. We'll announce as soon as it's in.

Hope this is all helpful to you.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Expanding from the Core Set
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 10:04:14 AM »
Which expansions you get really depends on your playstyle and whether you want to do organized play. You should make sure you can build spellbooks you like with the cards you will get before you buy them. Unfortunately, it's usually more expensive to make decks for all four core mages then it is to focus on one or two of them and buy expansions that support them specifically.

If X is my favorite mage than I should buy the following expansions:

X=Beastmaster
Druid vs Necromancer (for swarms and more nature spells)
Conquest of kumanjaro (for fellela and buddy pet builds)

X=Priestess

Conquest of kumanjaro and/or
wait for Paladin vs Siren

X=Warlock
Forged in Fire

X=Wizard
Conquest of Kumanjaro and at least one of the following depending on which wizard(s) you want to play

Fire wiz: Forged in Fire
Earth wiz: Forcemaster vs Warlord
Water Wiz: Druid vs Necromancer or wait for Paladin vs Siren
Air wiz: relies on promo cards that have not been released in any expansions yet.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:27:08 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
If X is my favorite mage than I should buy the following expansions:

X=Druid
Druid vs Necromancer
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »
Conquest of Kumanjaro is your best bet. It makes the Wizard very nasty with the Wizard Tower and Gargoyle Sentry. This lets him greatly increase his offense and get some solid defenders.

The Priestess picks up Guardian Angels and frankly those things are insane. Healing Charm can be cool also. I can not stress how solid the angels can make her defense though.

The Beast Master picks up Dire Wolves and those things can be scary if you play them right. Eagle Claw boots are also a nice nature spell that a lot of mages get use out of.

The Warlock gets Drain Soul, which if you can pull off is easily game changing. Gaining 6 permanent life is awesome even if your opponent gets rid of the two Taint Markers you put on them.

A lot of mages use the Sunfire Amulet and Surging Waves are a cool way to get rid of Blocks and maybe shove someone into a wall.

Honestly for $30 Kumanjaro is just a good investment. Even if you go get the other expansions you're going to find stuff in Kumanjaro you'll want later anyway.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »
Honestly, it does not matter what expansion you get, they are all fun and open up new possibilities.  Get one.  Play it to death with all your mages, then get another one.  Of course if you can play in some organised play, all the better.