May 11, 2024, 05:31:24 AM

Author Topic: Paladin Duel Spawnpoint  (Read 9117 times)

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Paladin Duel Spawnpoint
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
The idea behind this deck opening is simple, delay until the spawnpoints can overwhelm the opponent.
This means a lot on 4-9 mana creatures. It does include a Crusade Banner which can be used for a more powerful creature or as a detraction from the temple and mage.

Turn 1: 10+9=19.
-Move then Crusade Banner -7
-End QC Temple -10

Turn 2: 2+9=11 (works best if you have ins this turn)
-Tanglevine -5
-Astor Anchor -6

Turn 2: 0+9=9
>Cleric for temple 5-2=3 (any of the 5 mana clerics will work)
-Arcane Ward -2 (for Astro Anchor if it not despiled),
-Have a Astor Anchor or Tanglevine to keep the enemy mage locked down. If neither Tanglevine or Anchor is needed then just go in and attack.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

ExcaliburTK

• Curator of the White Spires
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Paladin Duel Spawnpoint
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 03:21:47 PM »
One of my friends made a book similar to this and harmonized the crusade banner then used dawn breakers initiate to pray on temple and then when crusade banner dropped creatures he would run the initiates in my face baiting me to kill them to teleport creatures into my zone

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:53:36 PM »
Sounds like a fun strategy! How many Tanglevines are you running? Also do you have backup Astral Anchors?

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 12:46:25 AM »
Why harmonize a banner?
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 02:11:56 AM »
Why harmonize a banner?

Agreed. Even after 5 turns it's only generated 1 mana, which wasn't worth the 1 action, so it would need to be a plan where you leave the banner generating for 8-10 turns, which doesn't seem very realistic...

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 05:39:33 AM »
I've harmonized a banner and used it to spawn Brogan and Aurora for free.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:29:12 AM »
I've harmonized a banner and used it to spawn Brogan and Aurora for free.

Why did your opponent leave it alone for 9 turns?

...and not kill you?

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »
Because not everyone plays a rush. And if you get out a GA or a few NVs, you can defend it rather easily.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
Because not everyone plays a rush. And if you get out a GA or a few NVs, you can defend it rather easily.

Even in a non rush book I would not allow this to happen. A Harmonised spawn point that pops to use? I would choose to pop this for my opponent.

Consider against a wizard. A single angel I would knock the guard counter off with something like a blue gremlin, negate the intercept, and use a hawkeyed fireball, that's 9 dice then you have wasted a turn of actions for nothing. In return I have used a toolbox attack spell and cards that are part of my win condition anyway. Thanks for the mana on my gate.  ;) :P

The few Noble Vanguard are sitting in a zone and not doing anything? L2 creatures. then you have 4, I have 4 gremlins. read above.

The liberal application of blue gremlin and fireball solves this.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
Something
Something something

The liberal application of ... fireball solves this.

This. I subscribe to this. You're spot on  ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »

Killing you in 3-5 turns is a rush. Killing you in 10 turns is a slow win...

Even if your deck is uber-slow and wants 15 turns it can still Fireball/Boulder a banner before Turn 10, or it's fundamentally flawed.

I've currently got about 30 books, about 2/3rd of which are slower controlling books. All of them could easily take this out by turn 5, even with a Guardian Angel Guarding... It's worth it for them too...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:45:03 AM by Kelanen »

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
Good for you.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 04:23:33 PM »

Even if your deck is uber-slow and wants 15 turns it can still Fireball/Boulder a banner before Turn 10, or it's fundamentally flawed.

I've currently got about 30 books, about 2/3rd of which are slower controlling books. All of them could easily take this out by turn 5, even with a Guardian Angel Guarding... It's worth it for them too...

dude you need to stop talking about how good you are...

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 04:28:15 PM »

dude you need to stop talking about how good you are...

+1. Not interested in how good YOU believe yourself to be.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »
ב"ה
If you try to go for a long game, the temple of asyra is just better. If you harmonize it instead of harmonizing a crusade banner, you could bring a creature every turn instead of two creatures only once.
Keep in mind that enemy creatures could probably get to your banner a lot before turn 9 even if the opponent didn't rush.

I've never seen a game that ended on turn 3 or 4. A rush that rolls well could end the game by turn 5, and with avarage rolls on turn 6 (assuming everything goes as planned).

Now, about fireball or hurl boulder on a crusader banner, it has a few drawbacks-
1) A fireball or a hurl rock cost 8 mana and a quick action. The banner cost 7 mana and a quick action. to kill it will cost you more than the cost to create it.
2) A single boulder is not so likely to one shot a crusader banner, and a single fireball might fail in it as well. That would mean you just spent all that mana and all you got was making the opponent use that banner a little sooner.
3) Casting a fireball or hurl boulder require your mage to be within 2 zones of the banner, and that means you just went to the Paladin's face. Assuming the paladin is going for a melee build, going all the way to the paladin just make the game easier for him. Against melee builds it is usually safer to stay away as much as you can.