May 03, 2024, 05:13:12 AM

Author Topic: Mind Control & Controller  (Read 3278 times)

redwlfjsc

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mind Control & Controller
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »
I'm excited to try out the new Forcemaster, but I have a question about Mind Control. The card states, "the controller must be within 1 zone of Mind Control." The codex states, "is controlled by the player who cast it." From this I understand the controller to be the player. How is it determined if the player (controller) is within one zone? Does the controller's mage have to be within one zone? Any of the controller's creatures? Any of the controller's objects? I'd assume mage, but it seems odd it didn't just say mage specifically.

P.S. As of now there is not a familiar that can cast a level 6 spell, but if there is at some point would the caster be the controller instead of the mage?

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Control & Controller
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
Let me try to answer all your questions, bear with me:

The controller of a spell is the player who cast the spell. For example, if you cast a Goblin, then you control that Goblin.

If an object you control casts a spell for you, then you are also the controller for that spell or object.  For example, if your Fellela familiar casts an enchantment, then you also control that enchantment.

Sometimes, that control can change with a spell like Mind Control. If you cast a Mind Control on a creature, you now become the creature's controller, instead of the player who cast the creature.

Very importantly:  The player, is represented on the board by his Mage card.  So the player, and his Mage, are one and the same.

So, when you cast Mind Control, your Mage on the board controls that Mind Control enchantment.  In order to reveal it, he (the Mage card on the board) must be no further than one zone away from the Mind Control spell.  (We did this both for spell balance and realism). Once it is revealed, and the reveal cost is paid, you now control that creature.

I hope this answers your question and makes sense!

redwlfjsc

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »
Very clear and very fast! I love the realism of this game!

Using this understanding, I was looking at the Charm enchantment. It would seem my other creatures can attack and damage a charmed creature without removing the enchantment. Correct?

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »
Yes they can!  

The creature has sort of "fallen in love with" the Mage who casts Charm.  So, he'll continue to attack everyone else as normal, and they can attack him as well without affecting charm.  

The creature just has reservations about attacking the Mage who charmed it. However, if that same Mage attacks the creature, then it breaks the spell.

redwlfjsc

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »
Thanks again!

ABGames

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »
So by that logic, if you steal something that is a cantrip,
and it is destroyed it would go to the new owner's
spell book?

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »
Quote from: "ABGames" post=7858
So by that logic, if you steal something that is a cantrip,
and it is destroyed it would go to the new owner's
spell book?

I don't believe so. When you cast steal equipment you become the controller not the owner(otherwise it really would be stealing     B) ). The codex says under cantrip to return the spell to its owner's spellbook when it's destroyed. Since you never become the owner I'd say no.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »
Well said!