May 18, 2024, 11:52:04 PM

Author Topic: Cursing Warlock  (Read 30563 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Cursing Warlock
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
At least from my POV the point of perceived overpower card is the ToL buffed by the HoB. I am suggesting that the Force Hammer would be useful against the 9 Mana, 3 Armor, 8HP . Temple of Light. There is a chance you could one shot it.

If you decide that it is in your best interest to take it down, it is in your best interest to take it down as quickly as possible using as few actions as possible. Force Hammer fits the bill.

There of course are other options, move a middle level critter in to the zone of the ToL and buff with at Piercing Strike. That would be cheap mana wise.

All I am trying to say, is there are ways to take out ToL that are effective other than the action(s) lost.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »
Temple of Light is the only thing worth killing though, I ignore the hands they are a minor nuisance and aren't a bother to me, they don't stun me.  Temple of light is however worth a force hammer or creature etc.  And they can be taken out in 1-2 turns without losing much tempo.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
I agree, but don't discount the power of 6 HoB. That is  +6 either  (or permutation of) Melee, Armor, Healing. It might be of interest to have a critter who's purpose is to kill HoB's or at least knock the number down 1 or 2. Yes you would have to fork that creature off from the mage, but if his strategy is to highly leverage the HoB's then taking them out may be disruptive.

If you concern is mana efficiency then Earthquake might fit the bill for the HoBs especially if they are adjacent...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:12:53 PM by sIKE »

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »
Well, I mentioned Hammer more for the fact that it's an attack spell too.  Meaning that it is far less niche than a lot of other solutions.  It also isn't part of a particular Elemental minor school, so it remains effective through Elemental Cloaks and armors.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »
Totally agree, sdougla2 had said it was inefficient, I was just saying not so against the ToL....

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 03:01:19 AM »
With 6 hands out that player has to be setting up for late game, so you can't ignOre the Mage and focus on them, however it is a 12 zone board and to have six out means they are going to stick out and I'd wager at least 2 if not 3 will be in convienient locations to destroy.  I.e zones B2, B3, and A2/C3.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »
I don't think anyone is going to cast all 6 at once. But if the opponent is spending more to destroy them than it's costing the temple player to cast them, I think the temple player might just extend that line of play as long as the opponent will let them.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
I don't think anyone is going to cast all 6 at once. But if the opponent is spending more to destroy them than it's costing the temple player to cast them, I think the temple player might just extend that line of play as long as the opponent will let them.

True, but if they do then they will e easier to kill and would be needed to kill because it could turn an SUV into a Semi.  But if you do do something to kill them then it would only make sense to park a creature and maybe use a low cost mana attack to finish one off.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »
LoL so....uh...yeah...  How's that cursing warlock build workin out JMoodie?  :-X
Si vis pacem para bellum

jmoodie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 09:04:51 AM »
LoL so....uh...yeah...  How's that cursing warlock build workin out JMoodie?  :-X

I'll let you know on the 7th. It was very apparent the piousflea is on the right track. DoT can't sustain enough damage. I need to get at least the vamp on the board. Then the imp.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
Does no one like the werewolf creature that I believe is warlock only? I forget the stats.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
Does no one like the werewolf creature that I believe is warlock only? I forget the stats.

I like him, Goran is pretty solid.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »

Seconded.  Goran costs 15, has 3 armor, 12 hp and swings really hard.  He doublestrikes for 7 (8 if Warlock is with him), and his quick attack is pretty high at 5, sometimes 6 dice. 

Basically, he's really undercosted for the amount of damage he does, which is probably why they gave him to the Warlock, though I think he's a little better as a guard than an attacker in my experience.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

jmoodie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »

Seconded.  Goran costs 15, has 3 armor, 12 hp and swings really hard.  He doublestrikes for 7 (8 if Warlock is with him), and his quick attack is pretty high at 5, sometimes 6 dice. 

Basically, he's really undercosted for the amount of damage he does, which is probably why they gave him to the Warlock, though I think he's a little better as a guard than an attacker in my experience.

Goran is a beast. I think a lot gravitate towards the vamp due to optional flying to clear stuff. And with vampirism, she can be tough to finish off.

You make a good point about guarding, though. Setting him as a guard in a DoT setting could be interesting. Ideas, ideas.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
I'm gonna have to use him more, I don't know why.