May 13, 2024, 03:02:09 AM

Author Topic: List Your Favorite Mages  (Read 21042 times)

labartels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: List Your Favorite Mages
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
6) Warlord- I just don't like the design- +1 melee why? Battle Orders should have been a free quick cast

5) Forcemaster- limited play options-

4) Priestess - Temple build- getting old fast

3) Beastmaster- fun to play lots of options

2) Warlock - Love the style- needs more card support

1) Wizard- Versatility- lots of options!

Jusy my opinion

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 10:51:39 PM »
1) Warlock: He is the master of early game aggression. (yes, even better than the BM) I feel like early fights require a lot more tactical skill than lategame fights. When you have very few creatures, enchants and conjurations, every move and every action becomes far more important, and the order in which you activate creatures becomes amazingly important.

2) Wizard: The most versatile of the Mages, the Wizard is whatever you make of him. You can play aggressively, defensively, creature-based, attack-based, etc. Any way you want it, that's the way you need it... there's a reason he seems to be the most popular Mage.

On the downside, the old Wiz feels like the most fragile of the Mages. Not because 32 health is that low (it isn't, and Voltaric Shield is great) but because he pays 2x spellbook cost for every healing ability in the game. At least in my experience, even the warlock heals for more with Vampiric and Deathlink.

3) Priestess: I like her because she can choose to play very aggressively or very defensively, and her Daze/Stun abilities can really shut down other players. Healing is very strong, and as long as the Priestess can keep a core army of level 3-4 units alive she is likely to win. The downside is that she is vulnerable to Finite Life and Nullifies, and since there is no Holy familiar she can find herself at an action disadvantage against multiple curses.

4) Beastmaster: In my opinion, the BM is like a weaker version of the Warlock. If you just read his character-card abilities, they seem stronger than the Warlock's. Yet after dozens of games I just feel outright stronger as a Warlock. I suspect that Ring of Fire and Fire Immunity has a lot to do with it. The Warlock is the only Mage that can freely blast away with zone attacks while also swarming with creatures.

5) Warlord: The Warlord is incredibly crappy in the early game but becomes exponentially more powerful as you let him build up an army. The problem is, there are so many early game aggression strats out there that Warlord players are often forced into playing the Round 2 Sniper Tower just to defend himself. The sniper tower is a strong play but it is a bit of a one-trick pony.

6) Forcemaster: I have no idea how to play a Forcemaster. With the exception of the very first Forcemaster vs Warlord game I ever played, I really haven't seen FM win any games. I'm not sure why she feels so weak, because her ability card seems extremely strong and forcefield seems extremely strong. I think it has to do with the combination of paying 3x cost for most creatures, and paying 2x cost for non-mind incantations and attack spells. If you only play in-school, you simply don't have any heavy-hitters other than Galvitar+Scimitar melee, which is easily avoided by Guards, teleports, tanglevines etc. As soon as you start taking many out-of-school spells, your spellbook gets so thin that you run out of options early in the game.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=12023
1) Warlock: He is the master of early game aggression. (yes, even better than the BM) I feel like early fights require a lot more tactical skill than lategame fights. When you have very few creatures, enchants and conjurations, every move and every action becomes far more important, and the order in which you activate creatures becomes amazingly important.

I think you and I are always going to disagree on this one, lol, not that there's anything wrong with that.  I think the BM's ability to quickcast level 1 creatures is huge when it comes to early game aggression.  A BM can move twice on his first activation (either by just double moving, or through Cheeta's Speed) and quickcast a Fox or Falcon.  If the opponent moved at all on the first turn, then the Fox/Falcon is getting in an attack, which is faster than the Warlock can manage.  Just seems like the BM gets those attacks rolling one turn faster than the Warlock, although I agree that, punch for punch, the Warlock hits a little harder.

6) Forcemaster: I have no idea how to play a Forcemaster. With the exception of the very first Forcemaster vs Warlord game I ever played, I really haven't seen FM win any games. I'm not sure why she feels so weak, because her ability card seems extremely strong and forcefield seems extremely strong. I think it has to do with the combination of paying 3x cost for most creatures, and paying 2x cost for non-mind incantations and attack spells. If you only play in-school, you simply don't have any heavy-hitters other than Galvitar+Scimitar melee, which is easily avoided by Guards, teleports, tanglevines etc. As soon as you start taking many out-of-school spells, your spellbook gets so thin that you run out of options early in the game.

I think one of her biggest problems is that she is so predictable.  Being one dimensional and predictable is a huge liability in this game.  I've said before that I hope they don't make any more mages that are so one dimensional in how they can be played.  The limitations you mentioned on her are crippling IMO, but maybe if they release some more creatures from the Mind school she'll fare a bit better on the battlefield.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
I think one of her biggest problems is that she is so predictable.  Being one dimensional and predictable is a huge liability in this game.  I've said before that I hope they don't make any more mages that are so one dimensional in how they can be played.  The limitations you mentioned on her are crippling IMO, but maybe if they release some more creatures from the Mind school she'll fare a bit better on the battlefield.

With all of that said, in a tourney situation, I would not be surprised if she were to win it all. There are very few mages that can be beating the living bejezures out of you by round 2. Foxes, Falcons or not. Might be one dimensional in more relaxed games but in a tournament the Forcemaster or Warlock have very very strong advantages.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 07:45:07 AM »
FM is my go to tourney mage. (From the current mages that are out*) :whistle:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 12:19:28 AM »
So my thoughts on the mages have changed quite a bit since I started this thread...

From favorite to least favorite:

#1) Wizard
#2) Forcemaster
#3) Tie between Beastmaster and Warlock
#4) Priestess
#5) Warlord

Wizard is #1 just because he is so versatile and unpredictable.

Forcemaster is #2. I realize now that my early failures with the Forcemaster were my fault; I just wasn't playing her correctly! In fact, the only keeping her from #1 is the fact that she can be very difficult to play right.

Beastmaster and Warlock are tons of fun.

Priestess is good, I just find her play-style a little boring. And no... I do not use the turtle strategy with her.

I'm sorry Warlord. I tried. I just can't help feeling that the Beastmaster is better than you in every single way. I gave the Warlord plenty of time to shine but I never felt like his abilities or creatures were as powerful as they were supposed to be.

"See you space cowboy..."

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
My thinking on the mages has changed a bit as well. I still dislike the Warlord, and the BM is still my favorite mage, but I like the FM a lot more, and the Priestess doesn't fit my play style as well as I'd like. I really like the Beastmaster, Forcemaster, Wizard, and Warlock. I think the Priestess is strong, but doesn't quite fit my play style. I'm looking forward to trying the new Priest, since he seems more my style. The Warlord just seems a touch worse than the other mages.

1. Beastmaster
2. Forcemaster
3. Wizard
4. Warlock
5. Priestess
6. Warlord
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying the new Priest, since he seems more my style. The Warlord just seems a touch worse than the other mages.

Speaking of mage variations, I can't wait to see what the variation of the FM is going to be. The current FM
's abilities/attributes focus on defense and positional control (i.e. force pull). Maybe the next FM will have a psychic focus? I can only hope!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 03:09:10 AM »
I dont have so much games under my belt but still, this is my list. If Warlord was somewhat different or his "second skill card" was a Dwarf Lord... he would be in my top 3 but he had so many cards which i cannot use properly (yup, i blaming me, not creators ;) - Akiros Hammer, Goblin Builder, his main weapon, Goblin Bomber... his command mechanics)

1. Beastmaster (his game options are in symbiosis of my play style)
2. Priestess (her game options are also in symbiosis of my play style but thematicly is less)
3. Wizard (versatility!!!)

4. Warlock (every one loved him and played him so i dont :) )
5. Forcemaster (i am not a solo mage player)
6. Warlord (stated above)

I deeply believe, that upcoming expansion will shufle this order of mages :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 04:17:00 AM »
I dont have so much games under my belt but still, this is my list. If Warlord was somewhat different or his "second skill card" was a Dwarf Lord... he would be in my top 3 but he had so many cards which i cannot use properly (yup, i blaming me, not creators ;) - Akiros Hammer, Goblin Builder, his main weapon, Goblin Bomber... his command mechanics)

1. Beastmaster (his game options are in symbiosis of my play style)
2. Priestess (her game options are also in symbiosis of my play style but thematicly is less)
3. Wizard (versatility!!!)

4. Warlock (every one loved him and played him so i dont :) )
5. Forcemaster (i am not a solo mage player)
6. Warlord (stated above)

I deeply believe, that upcoming expansion will shufle this order of mages :)

As somebody who used to play Warlord, Goblin Bomber, Goblin Builder, and Akiro's Hammer are awful. Goblin Builders especially.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »
Mine is a toss up between the Wizard or Preistess.

So far I have won every single game I have played and I would say the Wizard is just the easiest to win with (almost too easy, as in there isn't a challenge).

Mana suppression is SO powerful.  When I'm channelling 14 mana per round and my opponent is channeling 6 + upkeep + suppression effects, really it is just a matter of time before they are overwhelmed.  By the time you get to that point they can't do anything but try to react and even then it isn't enough to make a difference, you can summon a big creature every other turn OR what I like to do is just chain cast Chain Lightning and work them down until dead.

The other reason I like the Wizard is because the Gorgon + Basilisk double ranged attack is almost too overpowered.  By the time a creature or enemy mage can even get to you the gorgon is doing nice damage + weakening them and the basilisk (and/or combo of lightning stuns) is keeping them from getting in range to do damage.

----

The Preistess I like because you just can't kill her, if she gets low or in danger you just heal back to full and eventually your opponent runs out of steam.  She's not super powered offensively (although she has options) she has long term play options.

Also with the preistess I LOVE a pile of temples and just stun lock my opponents until they die while not being able to barely touch you.

----
In any deck I'm a HUGE fan of ranged, and not into big melee heavy hitters.  I like to kill them from afar and if I need to finish them off with melee when they get close.  It is about controling your environment and I feel ranged is best for that.  Although there is a counter strategy for everything, which makes the game cool.

Even though I have won with every mage I've played I think the hardest challenge was the Warlock because as much as I love curseweaving, I'm not impressed with the creature base and I feel DoT tactics are too slow for me.

The Beastmaster is fun but almost feels a bit too straightforward and simple to play.  Summon a horde, send em out, overwhelm your opponent, win the game.  Sure you can win but it isn't a big challenge, maybe I like the more subtle tactics to win. 

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »
I tend to agree that warlord is struggling at the moment. But there are a few cards in the new expansion which I think will help and also the dice tower promo ones look good for him as well. I'm sure he will have his day in the sun soon!

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »
Woah. Haven't posted in this thread for quite some time. Fav mages as of now:
1. Necromancer: awesome!
2. Warlord: even with all of his flaws I can't help but like 'em.
3. Wizard: does anybody hate the Wizard? that would be a first in my book.
4. Warlock: very close to topping Wizard for me. Wizard gets the edge for being versatile though.
5/6. Priestess/Beastmaster: effective but too straightforward in my opinion.
7. Druid: i want to like her! i really really do! i would have to win with her first  ;D
8. Forcemaster: i like creatures too much to enjoy playing as the FM.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 02:00:01 AM »
My current list would go something like this:

1. Beastmaster (both)
2. Warlock
3. Wizard
4. Necromancer
5. Forcemaster
6. Druid
7. Priest/Priestess
8. Warlord

I'm a fan of 1-5, and they are all very close. I'm not a big fan of 6-8.

The Straywood and Johktari Beastmasters are my favorites largely due to how much I like the nature school.

I've only played 1 game with the Druid, and my opinion on her is the least firm. I won the game, but I kept seeing vulnerabilities to cards like Ring of Fire, Deathlock, and Eagleclaw Boots. So far I'm much more interested in the Beastmasters, and they are my nature mages of choice. I'm sure that a strong Druid build could be put together based on the strength of the nature school, one that wouldn't be nearly as vulnerable to fire, Deathlock, and position control, I'm just concerned that it will involve many of the same cards and be too similar to one of my Beastmaster builds for my tastes.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 04:39:11 AM »
1 - Druid (I'm weird, I know)
2 - Warlock (Works well with a battleforge build, which I seem to prefer)
3 - Forcemaster (If I got to play her more often she'd probably be higher - I've been banned from playing her in my meta)
4 - Priestess (Still trying to work out my strategy with her...)
5 - Priest (Battleforge!)
6 - Necromancer (Kinda neutral here...not really attracted to undead)
7 - J. Beastmaster (Fun, but I can't help but feeling that her innate abilities don't mesh well...and issues with golems/zombies)
8 - S. Beastmaster (I'm just not into animals I suppose)
9 - Wizard (Feels too gamey for me at the moment, especially with Wizard's Tower - will reevaluate after seeing if Acid Ball is an actual threat)
10 - Warlord (Needs massive work before this one even counts as a mage tbh...)