Poll

What format should we use for the next review video

Like PvS - A video for every card
9 (36%)
Sectioned videos for each category
16 (64%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: November 24, 2016, 11:43:38 AM

Author Topic: Arcane Duels - Paladin vs Siren Review  (Read 16266 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Duels - Paladin vs Siren Review
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »
Keep up the great work guys! As for the crusade banner I'm liking it later and later in my games.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
Me after every zombie brute joke Puddnhead makes:

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 11:38:20 AM »
Hale I literally laughed out loud at that. Puddn has seriously been haunted by zombies D:
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Arcane Duels - Paladin vs Siren Review
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
Me after every zombie brute joke Puddnhead makes:

Eww no way! They're too stupid and gross! :P
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
LOL.  Hats off to you, Sir!  My hatred has become a Meme.  Glad you all are enjoying the videos.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 07:13:01 AM »
I would prefer video covering one block of cards. Like Equipment block, Incantation block etc. In case of a bigger block (creatures), lets divided into two halves. Siren part and Paladin Part.

If you look at first video " Heeeeey I am Coshaaaade aaaand thiiiis iiiiiis Puuuudnheaaad!" and compare its opening with Temple of Meraveran :) There was a lot of introductions :)

You did a great job and i love all those analysis and little hints that would probably didnt came to my mind otherwise (casting Steadfeast Boots on other guy to keep them in place).

Looking forward to Grimoaire vids and GenCon vids :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 11:31:29 AM »
I disagree on the crusade banner. You call it a turn 2 card, but I would for sure use it mid-game or even end game!

At the start of the game you can invest all the precious mana in different stuff like big knights/angels/.. or armor. Later on, when you have more mana to spare, but become action starved, you can cast the banner during the final quickcast and have 2 creatures ready to battle the very next round! You can still move and melee attack that round, so you don't lose crucial momentum and it costs only 5 mana! That's a crazy good deal.  :D

This is a very good point! I suppose there are two camps for the Paladin in my head right now for Banner usage. One is to try and get a mana advantage by playing it early, and the other is to save up mana for mid engagement. Both seem to be based on playtstyle and book building to me. Also I think eventually we may see 1 aura Paladins vs 2 aura paladins for book building. In my experience getting 2 auras activated is super tough!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 02:46:28 PM »
I disagree on the crusade banner. You call it a turn 2 card, but I would for sure use it mid-game or even end game!

At the start of the game you can invest all the precious mana in different stuff like big knights/angels/.. or armor. Later on, when you have more mana to spare, but become action starved, you can cast the banner during the final quickcast and have 2 creatures ready to battle the very next round! You can still move and melee attack that round, so you don't lose crucial momentum and it costs only 5 mana! That's a crazy good deal.  :D

This is a very good point! I suppose there are two camps for the Paladin in my head right now for Banner usage. One is to try and get a mana advantage by playing it early, and the other is to save up mana for mid engagement. Both seem to be based on playtstyle and book building to me. Also I think eventually we may see 1 aura Paladins vs 2 aura paladins for book building. In my experience getting 2 auras activated is super tough!

You mean an *action* advantage by playing it early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »

You mean an *action* advantage by playing it early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he means a mana advantage.  If you can keep Crusade Banner alive for 4+ turns you've gained a mana advantage in addition to an action advantage.  That would be the reason to play it early.  All spawnpoints give you an action advantage.  Crusade Banner is unique in that it only works once, so timing its use is key for getting value out of the action you spend to cast it.  If you cast it late you need to have a mana reserve that can support two creatures hitting the field on the next turn.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
No, he means a mana advantage.  If you can keep Crusade Banner alive for 4+ turns you've gained a mana advantage in addition to an action advantage.  That would be the reason to play it early.

One reason to play it early. Actually I prefer to sprint forward and play it in FC on Turn 1, and bring 2x Red Helm Knights out on Turn 2, but that's just me...

Yes, it can definitely be used early or late, for action advantage only, or action and mana advantage... If you are happy to play it well back (or use a Guardian Angel) then you can easily get a lot of mana advantage with it.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 12:31:07 AM »
ב"ה
First, I just want to say that I totally share the hate of zombie brutes with you, Puddnhead.

Second, If you don't want the mana but only the actions, it will usually be better to just bring a temple of asyra that will let you bring a creature every other turn (unless you just want 2 creatures on 2nd or 3rd turn). It cost only 3 more, but give you many more actions.
What's good about the banner is that it is already channeling 2, s it gives you a mana advantage.
And obviously, if you just have loads of mana and not enough actions to do anything with it (because you melee attack for full action, and bring only small spells for quickcast and your opponent often use jinx), It is a possible play to cast it on final quickcast and bring 2 creatures to just use that mana.
With melee builds (Usually with a priest or a forcemaster), I tend to stack a load of mana during midgame, when I keep attacking but only bring an enchantment or a small attack spell. Paladins are sort of builded to be made as a melee build, so having a contingency to use when they have tons of mana and not much to do with it is actually really awsome.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
There are a lot of good suggestions about Crusade Banner here.  I'm digging it!  It's a surprisingly flexible spawnpoint for its constraints.  I'm looking forward to seeing some reports/spellbooks when everyone gets a chance to throw it in the arena!

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 12:20:03 PM »
ב"ה
First, I just want to say that I totally share the hate of zombie brutes with you, Puddnhead.

Second, If you don't want the mana but only the actions, it will usually be better to just bring a temple of asyra that will let you bring a creature every other turn (unless you just want 2 creatures on 2nd or 3rd turn). It cost only 3 more, but give you many more actions.

Over the longer game, yes. If you plan on the gaming ending around turn 5-6 then you just paid a lot for unrealised potential.

Also, assuming you want a longer game with a bunch of creatures. Some books only want 2-3 creatures anyway (I presume we agree that books wanting 0-1 creatures won't be playing banner!).

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
kinda off topic here...

Will you guys be reviewing the Sherean Leviathan, considering you already did the Promo Dragon ?

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 01:31:39 PM »
kinda off topic here...

Will you guys be reviewing the Sherean Leviathan, considering you already did the Promo Dragon ?

All of the cards in the set will be up on YouTube by the end of the month--Including Alfiya and the Leviathan.