May 12, 2024, 11:21:29 AM

Author Topic: Community Card Contstruction  (Read 18308 times)

Xilos of the mana temple

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Contstruction
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »
Enchantment: Visions of Insanity
Level 1 Dark + Level 1 Mind, reveal cost X times something to balance overpowered, Curse, Psychic.

Every round, roll a D12. On a 5-8, give the creature Slow. On a 9-11 deal the creature X Psychic Damage. On a 12 Stun him.

In addition, you can change it so that the X increases chance of roll instead of effectivity of roll.

WHY ISN'T ANYBODY RESPONDING TO WHAT I CREATE!!!

Xilos of the mana temple

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 05:22:24 PM »
Brain in a jar:
Level 4 conjuration, 15 mana, Quick action, 0-1 Casting range, Portal, Spawnpoint, Zone exclusive, epic, Forcemaster only.

Life 10, Armor 4, Channeling 1.

X dice, +9 Daze, +11 Sleep, Range 0-2. X=Creature's level.
Once per round, you may perform the attack above:

Respond if overpowered.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 05:23:31 PM »
Psychic?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 07:38:38 PM »

Please refrain from yelling on this post. We don't all get immediate responses, and that can be for a great many reasons, but you won't encourage people to comment by demanding their attention.

Enchantment: Visions of Insanity
Level 1 Dark + Level 1 Mind, reveal cost X times something to balance overpowered, Curse, Psychic.

Every round, roll a D12. On a 5-8, give the creature Slow. On a 9-11 deal the creature X Psychic Damage. On a 12 Stun him.

In addition, you can change it so that the X increases chance of roll instead of effectivity of roll.

We'd decided to do a creature. Also, we're not looking for mechanics yet, we were just looking at concepts. We're going to hone this card down, not start with a finished product.

However, right now it would seem that people are in favor of making a Brain in a Jar. So, tomorrow I'll start the next phase of this project.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 07:47:21 PM »
I would like to voice a dissenting opinion.  I am not in favor of a brain in a jar.  I don't think it fits flavorfully in the world of Mage Wars. However, I do think that if Aaron is in favor of it we should give it a try since this card is in his honor.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2015, 10:17:50 PM »
Query: does it have to be in a jar? Could we accomplish the same theme with a creature that is essentially just a disembodied brain floating around through psychic force or mind magic without a container?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 11:04:27 PM »
I would like to voice a dissenting opinion.  I am not in favor of a brain in a jar.  I don't think it fits flavorfully in the world of Mage Wars. However, I do think that if Aaron is in favor of it we should give it a try since this card is in his honor.

So noted. What makes it feel out of place? What do you think would make it feel "in place"?

Query: does it have to be in a jar? Could we accomplish the same theme with a creature that is essentially just a disembodied brain floating around through psychic force or mind magic without a container?

I suppose not. The container is always what made it "innocuous but creepy" upon first discovery, until it starts throwing things around or "mind controlling" people. In the end this needs to be a Mage Wars Brain in a Jar, and not some other game's Brain in a Jar. What kinds of flair make this uniquely Etherian?

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 12:09:03 AM »
The container is always what made it "innocuous but creepy" upon first discovery, until it starts throwing things around or "mind controlling" people. In the end this needs to be a Mage Wars Brain in a Jar, and not some other game's Brain in a Jar. What kinds of flair make this uniquely Etherian?

Well, flavor wise, there are lots of Mage Wars -esque ways a “Brain in a Jar” could play out. Here are some territories to consider:

Draconian Brain
This could be the brain of one of the original Dragons, ripped from its host and enslaved in an jar-like artifact during the Elemental Wars. After so many hundreds of years of imprisonment and disembodied torture, it has become a dark and twisted thing.

Infernian Brain
This could be the brain of a shadow demon. Shadow demons are minions of Moloch, Lord of Curses. The brain may have some sort of ability to project curses psychically.

Desjer-Tet
Perhaps this is the brain of a Djinn, enslaved in a crystal lamp. After all, the people of Desjer-Tet favor Dark magic, and their people are infatuated with life after death, and the world of the undead. There is also considerable emphasis there on the practice of Mind Magic, and of using its powers to help move great stones and build mighty monuments to the Dark Gods. 

Kumanjaro
Or this could be a creature/relic of the mysteries of Kumanjaro. There are six tribes of peolple living in the jungles of Kumanjaro, but one tribe, the Histanti is a complete mystery. The Histanti disappeared several centuries ago, leaving nothing behind but well preserved stone cities. The other five tribes refuse to speak about what happened; only that the disappearance happened in the span of a single night, and every Histanti was gone the next day. The Histanti is not their proper name, but actually a Kume word meaning “Adversary”. One missionary who befriended a tribe of Kume asked what the Histanti real name was, and was told it was not permitted to say “lest they hear you”. All five tribe share taboos about the Histanti, leading some scholars to wonder whether the five surviving tribes are loathe to speak of the Histanti out of fear, or guilt. This could be the brain of the last of the Histanti, shackled and enslaved.

• Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2015, 12:09:38 AM »
I love the Brain in the Vat idea. It's important to know (because we're talking about a dark and psychic creature) that the origin is from the evil demon argument. I've read all the meditations from Descartes and they are awesome! I always liked the skeptical example of a demon taking a heated prodding tool and searing a brain to make it believe something that is not actual reality. Descartes went as far as denying logic and mathematics with this example. If we go with a brain in a vat idea we have to keep in mind that it probably should manipulate the reality of conscious beings (most likely creatures).

I think the brain should be a legendary demon's brain. I could see it being in the power range of a a demon lord (maybe when the brain had a body?).

I think the ability should be that it takes control of living minor level creatures' move phase (Maybe all minor creatures at 1 range?), but not the action phase. They could move through a wall of fire, or into a wall and take 3 damage (not sure if you take 3 damage for a move action into a wall). You could also force the creature to move onto traps. This allows the creature to perceive reality differently by walking the wrong way, yet still make choices in what they are doing in that reality (by using their action phase to run, guard etc.). It's pretty specific (which is very psychic creature focused) and has a demonic evil to it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:14:30 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2015, 12:37:07 AM »
Wow, totally missed that we changed post... Okey here is a re-post of my last one the old thread:

One thing that could be a interesting feature would be an dissipating enchantment with a ongoing counter effect (mind)  and which generates a large bonus (dark)  when it is destroyed by the end of the count down. Something like this:

Dark soul.
Cost: 2+3
Effect: Dissipate 2. Upkeep 1. When target creature, or any of its attached objects,  is affected by an opponent spell that opponent must pay 2 additional mana. When Dark soul is destroyed by the dissipating effect it gives it's creature +3 melee, +3 range, and full attacks becomes quick attacks until end of round.

In this way the opponent have a choice to dispell before the enchantment takes effect.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2015, 12:47:33 AM »
i read somewhere that the mind-god comes frome another realm... shoudn't this brain be one of a guy from this other realm?

and about the jar: is it a simple jar to keep it alive or is it a torture-jar to make it obey?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2015, 01:17:29 AM »
Infernian Brain
This could be the brain of a shadow demon. Shadow demons are minions of Moloch, Lord of Curses. The brain may have some sort of ability to project curses psychically.

Desjer-Tet
Perhaps this is the brain of a Djinn, enslaved in a crystal lamp. After all, the people of Desjer-Tet favor Dark magic, and their people are infatuated with life after death, and the world of the undead. There is also considerable emphasis there on the practice of Mind Magic, and of using its powers to help move great stones and build mighty monuments to the Dark Gods.

I really like both of these ideas. If there is a jar of some kind, I think we should go with one of these and the idea that the Jar is a prison of some sort. Meanwhile, my jarless idea is basically that maybe this is some sort of naturally psionic, and evil, creature in the form of a floating brain. Possibly not "natural" as in from this world. It could come from another realm in the Mage Wars cosmology (I admit I'm not that familiar with the lore) but I do mean "natural" as in it was not created like a homunculus is. It is not a brain removed from a body, but rather a brain that never had a body. Tentacles might be included.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2015, 04:44:43 AM »
I'm not wild about the brain-idea since I was hoping for more "force". Nonetheless, the brain thing is still pretty neat!  ;)

Maybe we should decide the background & lvl of the brain now? lvl seems pretty urgent since a lvl 2 brain would be completely different than a lvl 5.

Really like the loremasters input. considering those 4 brains I would say not the curse one since the forcemaster would have a hard time using that. (The other 3 seem equally awesome)

About the level, I want a brain that the opponent really fears if I would summon it: 2 dark + 2/3 mind  :)

And maybe about the jar, How about a slave (dark cleric or even undead) holding the jar? Or maybe make it a combo. :D A strong demon holding/protecting the jar, allowing the jar to take a punch and make a regular hard hitting attack. (This might be too far away from what the rest was picturing so you can all just ignore this  ::) )

Edit: a lvl 4/5 brain can probably defend itself fine without the help of a demon, using dark shizzle we could make up later.. Maybe just the slave then to carry it over the field?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:56:44 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2015, 07:57:39 AM »
I would go for lvl 3 to 5 legendary Brain creature. 

Also i like mentioned idea, that this Brain could mindcontrol some other creature, creating a Mount/Guardian for it.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »
What if it's Sardonyx's brain? He's not using it anymore.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.