May 13, 2024, 05:17:23 AM

Author Topic: Community Card Contstruction  (Read 18311 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Community Card Contstruction
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »
Hello again everyone! We've been working on developing a community card. I've started a new thread to keep things a little more organized. So far we know that it will be Dark and/or Mind (mostly have the "and/or" in case we want to make a level 1 spell) and also a creature. Remember that the mind school is a school of strange otherworldly entities (like the Psyocculouses we've seen already). Mind creatures are meant to be rare and specialized. Now I personally have a few cool ideas to put out, but first I want to see what you all come up with. Right now don't worry about mechanics, just worry about theme. What do you want this card to do? Is it a construct made of force? Is it an apprentice forcemaster? Is it a brain in a jar? (yea I'm voting for Brain in a Jar, those who've talked to me about my DND games know why).

So throw your themes out there!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Contstruction
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
I am afraid, that ACG nightmare creature just flooded my head. If i try to think about my version of theme, his takes control in my head :)

Creature parasiting on other creatures which are sleeping is something i would really like to see :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
I'd like to put forth the idea of an "eater" creature...The Unmaker or Phantasm of Oblivion.  Some horrible multi-mouthed phantasm that eats things.  There are a few mechanic possibilities:

1) It just has devour and can eat anything it does lethal damage to...additionally, you can pay an amount of mana to eat objects attached to the devoured object and gain additional bonuses.

2) It eats tokens (or conditions) such as burn, weak, rot and taint...perhaps even armor +1 or Veteran markers as well.  Each token it eats gives it melee +1 or a growth marker.

3) Slow and does area damage and drains mana for each creature hit.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »
I would rather go for an "mind"-creature instead of a "force" creature since it is also dark. Toying with the opponents head definitely has a dark touch. (I like the nightmare idea)

Another idea, linked to fear. As an attack it can use a zone attack, 1 die critical damage + d12. with a 9+ the creature has a mandetory run action during it next action. (2 zones if not slow or lumbering & not back and forth)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
What about a ghost that's sort of a psychic memory? Or a parasite that feeds on mental energy and thus could drain mana?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:51:24 AM »
As a general theme, I'd like to put in another vote for some sort of nightmare or phantasm creature. Definitely picturing some sort of shadow slithering around the arena, although the particular shadow I have in mind differs from those already suggested.

I'd like a more powerful creature than ACG's nightmare, something good for a buddy build. Instead of putting creatures to sleep, it causes the Stagger condition, representing a fear ability. Minor creatures are so scared that they can't act at all, and other creatures have their attacks severely weakened as they quiver in their boots. I'm thinking something big like Level 3 Dark and Level 2 Mind, and Legendary, this would be the type of creature you build a book around. I'd also like to see it be able to move as a teleport.

I guess I'm kind of picturing a bigger, meaner [mwcard=DNC04]Grey Wraith[/mwcard] except that instead of being a spirit it is a projection of the mind's worst fears.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 12:00:04 PM »
if its mind/dark i cant see it being a force creature. Maybe a spirit creature but that could be a stretch. Something cthulhu-ian could work. That makes me think of Terror.

How bout a Psyoculus(or new creature type) which causes (psychic) fear (on a non-mage creatures) as an action. I imagine it working similiar to the oposite of thorgs taunt. must move away. must not attack it.

Fear: they cannot attack and gain pest while in the zone of the fear-causer. ends when fear-maker gets a new turn.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:02:58 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
for a dark-mind creature, i like the nightmare idea.
- a big creature (level 4 or 5)
- an eye? a metamorphe? a slimy or fogy thing?
- it would be able to find the fears of it's prey, making them unable to act or acting against themself
- it would be hard to damage (ethereal? something like the warlock's helm of fear?) but easy to kill (low life? a disipate triggered when damaged?)

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »
I vote for zombie fungus.  (or some other mind-controlling parasite.)

Infected by the fungus Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, a common denizen of the world's tropical forests, individuals of a certain species of tree-dwelling carpenter ant behave in a most peculiar manner. Wandering as if drunk, they leave their nest high in the canopy and stagger or fall to the understory below. There they mill about aimlessly until, at the appointed hour, they bite down hard with their mandibles onto the main vein on the underside of a leaf about 10 inches above the ground. Those jaws remain locked even as the ant dies, its body still clinging to the leaf. A few days later, the victorious fungus pushes a stalk through a hole in the dead ant's head, and the stalk drops spores to infect more unsuspecting ants.
http://news.psu.edu/story/277383/2013/05/21/research/getting-bottom-zombie-ant-phenomenon
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:17:55 PM by vlad3theimpaler »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
The point of making it Force instead of Psychic was to give the FM a creature that helped against his Psychic Immunity weakness. If we choose to make it a Nightmare/Fear/Phantasm then it will not help the FM very much as the main complaint is that he really does not have a solid creature that isn't effected by Psychic Immunity. Just my two cents......
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 03:39:06 PM »
The point of making it Force instead of Psychic was to give the FM a creature that helped against his Psychic Immunity weakness. If we choose to make it a Nightmare/Fear/Phantasm then it will not help the FM very much as the main complaint is that he really does not have a solid creature that isn't effected by Psychic Immunity. Just my two cents......

Some background on how I imagine non-living creatures work.  Instead of a corporeal brain, a non-living has a magical enchantment-based brain controlling the non-living mass.

We could make a spell which interferes with the enchantment-brains. Either interference causing non-livings to be incapacitated or stealing control of the enchantment ala "mind control". Neither of these work well as a creature however.

I still don't see how dark and force can overlap thematically.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »

Some background on how I imagine non-living creatures work.  Instead of a corporeal brain, a non-living has a magical enchantment-based brain controlling the non-living mass.

We could make a spell which interferes with the enchantment-brains. Either interference causing non-livings to be incapacitated or stealing control of the enchantment ala "mind control". Neither of these work well as a creature however.

I still don't see how dark and force can overlap thematically.
Two Words:
Darth Vader
Two Words:
Darth Maul
Two Words:
Freddy Kruger - now he has a Psychic component to him, but if he hurt you in the dream (Psychic) you were hurt in the real world (Force)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
i differentiate a creature who can use force(A) from a creature made of force(B).
A wouldnt have the force subtype
B would

Without the subtype, I wouldn't call A a "force" creature. Of course this is just an argument in semantics.

A dark creature with a force weapon eh?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »
I agree with sIKE's sentiment about the psychic weakness. The creature definitely needs to have a non-psychic attack, preferably an untyped attack, to combat creatures that are Psychic Immune. I don't see that as completely incompatible with a nightmare type of creature though.

A fear effect definitely seems like it would be psychic in nature, but perhaps it could have a normal, untyped attack bar, and then cause a fear effect in it's text box to other creatures that try to attack it, or that end the round in the same zone with it. Or perhaps it could have two separate attack bars, one normal and the other psychic.

The creature itself might have the Force subtype, to combo with [mwcard=FWQ03]Force Ring[/mwcard], but I'm also a fan of a new subtype such as Nightmare or Phantasm. I also wouldn't be opposed to the Spirit subtype, though I foresee others finding that controversial.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »
i differentiate a creature who can use force(A) from a creature made of force(B).
A wouldnt have the force subtype
B would

Without the subtype, I wouldn't call A a "force" creature. Of course this is just an argument in semantics.

A dark creature with a force weapon eh?
A force based attack would work......