May 09, 2024, 01:35:15 PM

Author Topic: The efficacy of corrosive orchid  (Read 10662 times)

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: The efficacy of corrosive orchid
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
I like the comparison of Corrosive Orchid to Explode.  Fortunately, a 7 mana "hasty" conjuration that does 2 dice +50% corrode is much more useful than a 4 die flame attack on a mage.  I often find that even the threat of a Corrosive Orchid can make it pretty unappealing to play Leather Boots, Leather Gloves, and often even the torso pieces!

That said, the additional threat and flexibility of corrosive orchid (dissolve at vine range is pretty handy) does come at a steep cost.  When I build Druid books, I tend to skew heavily toward Dissolve, since the extra mana is not available early game, and honestly, rarely late game either. 

I think the ideal mix is somewhere in the 1-2 orchid:2-4 dissolve range.
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
Interesting. I have never run as many as 4 dissolves in a deck, because I have a hard time justifying spending so many actions on equipment removal. If my opponent spends that much mana on equipment, it is often easier just to overpower him with more creatures+Conjurations instead of trying to remove Equipment.

The one time where removal is absolutely necessary is Mage Wand + Teleport. Everything else can be played around or brute forced through, but repeated Teleports are pretty close to GG against Druid.

One huge advantage that Orchids provide is that they don't have to use one of your Mages actions. Orchids can be deployed via seedpod or Vinetree, freeing your other two actions for other things.

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
If you solve most problems by brute forcing, I like your style.  The community seems very keen on Equipment, Enchantments, Incantations, and Attacks, but mostly I just want to Summon.

The last game I played was Druid vs. Necromancer.  Early in the game I used one Dissolve on a Necro Ring, because it represented a huge mana advantage over the course of time.  I feel like if both players are going to go the attrition route, that kind of card is dangerous over a lot of tuns.  Late in the game I dissolved a Teleport Wand and a Cloak of Shadows, both because they interfered with keeping the opponent in my heavily planted square.  I never used my Corrosive Orchids, but I was sure glad to have them since opponent could have easily had another Teleport Wand.  (I almost used an Orchid instead of Dissolve to get the Cloak "unexpectedly" at Range 2.)

Would you have left the Ring alone?  Maybe so many Dissolves makes me too aggressive with them?

I think there are other equipment worth destroying:
* Warhammer (that thing does a lot of damage/daze every round!)
* Healing Wand (they usually just have one, and then you can load on the conditions)
* Lash (just if you are the Druid, the Fire is just too effective)
* Eagleclaw Boots (when you have a way to exploit moving the enemy mage)

I mean, yeah it costs you some tempo, but it cost them tempo too.  Reactive cards mean they get one round with their toy, but in the case of some toys, the long game is what it's about.
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 07:51:50 AM »
In my opinion  the cost of corrosive orchid is to high, I rather just use a dissolve to get rid of pesky equipment and focus on beating the other mage down with raptor vines and pulling/pushing him through my walls.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
In my opinion  the cost of corrosive orchid is to high, I rather just use a dissolve to get rid of pesky equipment and focus on beating the other mage down with raptor vines and pulling/pushing him through my walls.
This is mostly true, the [mwcard=DNJ02] Corrosive Orchid's[/mwcard] dissolve is un-counterable at this time. My Necro yesterday was [mwcard=MW1I12] Force Pushed[/mwcard] into a zone with one by a Druid and my [mwcard=MW1A06] Flameblast[/mwcard] [mwcard=MW1Q08] Elemental Wand[/mwcard] was sadly dissolved and there was nothing I could do about it.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
Because you cannot counter the orchid it might be worth putting one into a druid spell book, but I could never really see putting 2 or 3 into a spell book.