May 09, 2024, 04:31:51 AM

Author Topic: I feel the temple is overpowered  (Read 16117 times)

timer000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I feel the temple is overpowered
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:32:22 AM »
My friend play a priest with a lot of Hand of Bimshallas & ToL
He use "wall of pikes"to stop me attacking TOL at turn 2 
and using "force push" to push me  &my creature back to the  "Wall of pike" again &again(only by paying 3 mana).
My creature always been dazed or stun.It make me harder to destory ToL.
Then he start to summon more Hob and  knights.
Finally I destory the TOL by spending my a lot of mana & turns.
But he summon another "TOL" only by paying 9 mana= =
May someone tell me how to handle this condition???

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:42:42 AM by timer000 »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: I feel the temple is overpowered
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »
What mage are you playing and what basic strategy are you hoping to implement? You're being so non-specific that I can't really answer you in any kind of detail.

The first thing that comes to mind is summon more mid sized creatures, but there may be other strong options. For example, a Steelclaw Pet is vulnerable to Daze/Stun lock, but 4 Timber Wolves aren't nearly as impressed by Daze/Stun lock plays. Angel of Light is immune, so a Priest/Priestess can respond with her.

Also, you don't necessarily need to kill ToL. If you want to destroy ToL, Ballistae will be a strong option for that once they come out. Right now, fire attacks are probably your best bet, although Dark Pact Slayers/Brogan can do a lot of damage with their high Piercing attacks.

As for Wall of Pikes, pull your opponent out of them. Then they'll have to Teleport or run back through them to get away from you.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 06:11:32 PM »
stun lock is anti solo/duo aggro builds. but the early damage of tol also makes it good against lvl 1 swarm creatures most of the time it will 1 hit fox and other lvl1 creatures.

my most recent comp set up was tol so I am preemptively looking for ways to counter it. here is what I have.

solo/duo agro:
1. don't bother with deflection bracers they don't stop ranged. pack 1-4 cobra reflexes enough for your mage and your big creature.
2. choose a creature with ranged dodge (I think the forest shadow, not sure)
3.avoid non living at all times, obvious
4. get mage closer to you with your choice of teleport/force then wall the temple of light off. the temple can kill most walls in 2-3 turns buy that should be enough to really damage her.
5. get a creature with intercept and give it a ranged defence see 1
6. a well placed deadeye can take free shots at tol without being hit by bit
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:04:49 PM »
I think the key problem here is that you're focusing on the temples.  Focus on the opposing mage instead.  Temples aren't going to kill you nearly as fast as attack spells and creatures will.

It would also be helpful to know what mage you're playing and which creatures you're using.

The best advice I can give with that description is:

1. Don't worry about the temple.  Attack the opposing mage.
2. Use creatures with flying.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Hellkite

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »
Using a Wall of Stone/Steel will block the ToL while you work on the other temples.  You can also use Chain Lightning to get multiple attacks on the temples.  Depending on the number of other temples he is running you might be able to ignore the ToL and the Hands, but for the most part you just have to see what works for you.  Just because one strat will work against someone playing temples, doesn't mean everyone plays them the same way.  Hope this helps.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
keep in mind when it comes to the tol itself it ranges from 70% efficiency (only tol, asyra and daenbreaker) to 86% (1 tol and 6 hands) compared to an extrapolation of creature values on lvl (because there is no lvl 8 creature). there are only 28 combinations when you consider the epic/legendary restrictions.

as a general rule count the number of temples and assume the tower is a ranged creature of 3/4 that lvl (in attack, defence and mana cost).

so if there are 4 temples (tol and 3 hands aren't unheard of). don't spend any more effort as you would against a lvl 3 creature.

also should mention if you run some form of purify (the wand of healing or the incantation/mage wand). any lvl 3 creature should kill tower in 2-3 turns
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 03:39:23 AM »
How do you guys place a wall of stone to block LOS if the ToL is placed like this:

You
|
|
V

Z Z Z Z
Z Z T Z
Z Z Z Z

^
          |
          |
     Priestess

Placing a single wall blocks a maximum of 2 Zones, and it does not block ANY zone that holds other temples (asyra or Hands)

Also to those who wants to spend 6 mana on teleport (getting priest to enemy side of wall) and 7 mana on (a single i assume) wall of stone which totals 13 mana.... how do you after spending 2 actions get that BIG attack off that is supposedly going to punish the priestess for her temple build?

Getting both wall and teleport off in 1 turn requires QC and action marker from mage which in returns give the priestess the option to move (hindered i guess) 1 zone away so a possible grizzly wont get a full action attack off. Plus She will have saved her Hands to buff her with 3 armor most likely so a quick attack will average 3-4 damage depending on what big creature ur using.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 07:43:14 AM »
I've played against several "temple builds" and have never lost to them, so they can't be overpowered because I'm pretty new to the game and not that good. :)

Basically I ignore HoS, I do spend resources killing ToL though.  Once ToL is dead then I just send everything I have at the enemy mage.  Maybe I am getting lucky but so far I've never lost a game yet.

As far as how to kill it in the least amount of turns and least investment so you aren't wasting valuable momentum on it.  Depending on the mage you are using I have used hurl boulder, lightning or Force Hammers against it to take advantage of the +2 conjuration.  The Temple of Light falls and crumbles pretty quickly 1-2 turns and it is out of your life.

You can ignore the wall of pikes since it doesn't really do much to a flying creatures, so you can either use flyers or give non flyers flying with eagle wings or send a few creatures at it and use fast and get around the wall.  That thing can only stun ONE creature so it isn't like it can stop 4 creatures plus a forcehammer coming at it.

It's a great card but not overpowered, there are so many ways around it or to deal with it.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
force orb and reflex boots are other options to avoid ranged attacks.

timer000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »
I think "daze" will make our attack spell miss.
Using attack spell maybe is not a good choice..@@
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:53:01 AM by timer000 »

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 07:07:12 PM »
I think "daze" will make our attack spell miss.
Using attack spell maybe is not a good choice..@@

Assuming the temple attack actually dazes and assuming you don't have initiative.  And even then, there are many, many ways around it, and other posters have already mentioned them.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »
there really hasn't been a good description of how to affectively deal with temples. you see posts of people saying "temples aren't op I can beat them easy" yet nobody has posted exactly what to do against them. when you consider most temple builds have format 2 moves that look very similar to this
1, tol+toa
2, hob+hob.

I would like to see an effective counter that beginner players can use

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »
If your opponent is playing Hand+Hand on one of his creatures, the easy reply is Bear Strength on one of yours.
You're up an action and 5 mana, and your creatures are equally pumped. Kill his creature, and use the extra action and your remaining mana to kill one of the hands. Repeat.

I mean, it's not like this is a tactically hopeless, foregone conclusion here.

Now, I've been trying to argue that we should do more experiments, because we're long on hypotheses but short on results.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 05:11:17 AM »

I'm long on money but short on time.

Otherwise I'd be trialling all sorts of malarkey with various builds.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »
For a Few Big strategy (like Wizard), spend 10 spell points on Samandriel. If you start off going second (or duck a 1 in 6 stun in turn 1), you summon her NC turn 2 and attack ToL (assuming in FC) on turn 3. The rules even state you can only guard creatures from flyers (not conjurations) so ToL is soon doomed from the Light Immune Flyer (as the priestess has over-committed to Temples to contest in the air). If a card forces all others to include a specific creature, the designers should errata ToL to Epic at least.

The only other plausible anti-ToL strategies I can think of are
> walls blocking LOS while assembling a small army 1 away
> creatures with ranged defence (ideally inherent not buffs)

As for attacking the Hands bolstering it, if you can't kill the ToL in this 1 round of attacks but can reliably kill an adjacent HoB, I see value in culling the boosting HoB, especially if powered by Rajan's Fury. But generally focus on the ToL threat.

I do think the designers may have goofed by not making ToL Epic as this creates a very dull attrition strategy as opponent over-commit resources to destroy each successive ToL hence the priestess should win the battle of attrition by default. The combination with cheap HoB is what makes ToL far too simple and strong.

If the designers don't errata it (no shame to discover unforeseen overpowered cards in games like this), I hope future expansions feature cards that nerf it (Steel Wall helps).
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.