May 12, 2024, 11:55:49 PM

Author Topic: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature  (Read 51643 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Construction - Making a level 4 Nightmare Creature
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2015, 03:22:21 AM »
Nightmare
Lv3 mind + Lv1 dark
Ethereal
Cost: 10(?) mana
6 Life
0 armor
1 channeling - may not be necessary, would limit the sleep attack without it...
Legendary
Cantrip
Upkeep 3
As a move action it can teleport to a zone with a sleeping creature. (I thought this was cool - might be even more amazing and add to resiliency if it was a once a turn ready marker power)

Quick attack: Can cast sleep
Slow attack 1: Can cast mass sleep (enemy and friendly creatures)
Can stack sleep tokens (remove 1 per attack on a sleeping creature)

Each upkeep phase every sleeping creature within 1 zone from nightmare takes 1 direct damage for each sleep token it has, then heal nightmare the same amount.

Slow attack 2 (nightmare's blast): range 0-2, 1+x dice, dark, etheral, X = sleeping creatures within 1 zone of the Nightmare.

The vampiric effect may be a little unnecessary as its a cantrip and 6 damage is a pretty easy kill, it might make more sense for it to just get recast... so keep the mana in the 10 range, but leave it as a little fragile.

Mass sleep might be too powerful combined with the blast, but I wasnt sure if a single sleep was sufficient?

The creature still has quite a lot of flex, but against a solo buffed mage has little it can do, so isnt a guaranteed play.

i don't like:
that it needs cards to cast sleep
that it changes the rulles about sleep (doesn't normally looses the tokens when damaged... and what about the directs damage it inflicts?)

i like:
that the power of the blast depends of the number of the sleepers
that it can teleport

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2015, 03:42:18 AM »
This is all I can think of!

Dont worry, i have same mind block. On second place is neighbours kid :)

To be contributive,

Nightmare should just take advantage of sleep tokens, not cause them. I am not sure but a good nightmare never put me to sleep latly :)

No Etheral, No Upkeep, just Resilient or Defense 5+

Two attack bars.

1. X attack dice with Stun or Daze chance
2. 0 attack dice - Tainted 1+   -  second attack can be used only on creatures with psychic condition or spell on them.

I like things simple :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2015, 03:46:35 AM »
i don't like:
that it needs cards to cast sleep
that it changes the rulles about sleep (doesn't normally looses the tokens when damaged... and what about the directs damage it inflicts?)

i like:
that the power of the blast depends of the number of the sleepers
that it can teleport

I wasn't thinking that it needed the cards to cast the spells, but it had the ability to cast those spells intrinsically.  I'm leaning to it having both + the built in channeling.  I think both cost enough that they're not making the creature over powered and it would need the extra mana generation to be viable.

I don't think the proposition is to change the rules for sleep, but to allow sleep tokens to stack, so a creature is 'more asleep'.  Of course if it strikes a creature then it wakes up.... ahh do you mean the indirect damage at upkeep?  I see your point.  Like I said, I think the vampiric trait is cool but not essential.  As long as its easy enough to get out again, then being a bit fragile is fine.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2015, 03:49:59 AM »
Xanth Nightmares did cause dreams/sleepiness (kinda)... so its not a totally new meme.

It feels like you're proposing a totally different creature... which isn't a problem, just doesnt seem a refinement and more a counter offer :)

This is all I can think of!

Dont worry, i have same mind block. On second place is neighbours kid :)

To be contributive,

Nightmare should just take advantage of sleep tokens, not cause them. I am not sure but a good nightmare never put me to sleep latly :)

No Etheral, No Upkeep, just Resilient or Defense 5+

Two attack bars.

1. X attack dice with Stun or Daze chance
2. 0 attack dice - Tainted 1+   -  second attack can be used only on creatures with psychic condition or spell on them.

I like things simple :)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2015, 04:02:25 AM »
Yup. When everyone is making wedding cake, i am making morning bread :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2015, 04:51:44 AM »
Yup. When everyone is making wedding cake, i am making morning bread :)

Good to be prepared for when the wedding guests wake up hungover and hungry :)

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »
Maybe we could explore a Terror ability which somehow can be linked both to a Nightmare and a force attack/ability.
Something like: X dice for every inactive action marker in the arena.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
Well that's interesting...

That has a unique feel to it. What if you made an invisible creature with that ability...

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2015, 06:25:48 PM »
Invisible creatures (like the Stalker) is only able to target at the end of the round, if played as it should. My thinking was that if a creature had the Terror ability your opponent must make a choice; act on it at once while it is still weak or face the consequences later in the round. If it were invisible the whole fun will kind of go away... Nice that you liked the idea though.  :)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2015, 07:33:22 PM »
How about if you made it slow and lumbering, resilient so it can take a hit but is easy to run away from. Its terror attack should be a powerful zone based attack (its own zone, a bit like the earth elemental or even neighboring zones (slightly lesser strength)).

I guess I was trying to imagine a large scary creature that noone wants to be left close to near the end of the round as that's when it will be most powerful.  You can try and swarm it to take it down, but theres a pretty good chance they'll die if you aren't successful.  However, even if you take it down your worst dreams will come back to haunt you again real soon.

Would it work to make the attack compulsory?  i.e. all creatures within one zone range take the pain?  That way you can't use it to guard your mage, but its very effective anti swarm or can assist a swarm from another side of the arena.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2015, 09:05:02 PM »
Well that's interesting...

That has a unique feel to it. What if you made an invisible creature with that ability...

It compliments the Stalker nicely. Stalker is best when the Forcemaster outnumbers the enemy (e.g. because the enemy is going solo). Forcemaster can act and then qc Jinx the opponent, and then the Stalker can attack last after the opposing mage must act.

+x dice for every inactive marker is best against several creatures, when you're outnumbered and can keep passing your activation. Invisible could work to keep it going, or possibly just obscured combined with some kind of movement ability.

It would also give the FM more reason to try running a few more creatures, if her own inactive creatures count.

I think you're right, that is a really interesting idea.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
How about if you made it slow and lumbering, resilient so it can take a hit but is easy to run away from. Its terror attack should be a powerful zone based attack (its own zone, a bit like the earth elemental or even neighboring zones (slightly lesser strength)).

I guess I was trying to imagine a large scary creature that noone wants to be left close to near the end of the round as that's when it will be most powerful.  You can try and swarm it to take it down, but theres a pretty good chance they'll die if you aren't successful.  However, even if you take it down your worst dreams will come back to haunt you again real soon.

Would it work to make the attack compulsory?  i.e. all creatures within one zone range take the pain?  That way you can't use it to guard your mage, but its very effective anti swarm or can assist a swarm from another side of the arena.

As long as you don't give it unmoveable the Forcemaster should have an easy enough time getting it into position.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »

How about a combination of traits like - Incorporeal, Resilient, and Obscured.

The combination makes it difficult to target and tough to destroy. Psychic attacks would be a weakness since they still do critical damage to a Nightmare.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
Incorporeal AND Resilient means that you only damage it 1/6 of the time without using an ethereal attack.  That's a really tough nut to crack...nevermind the obscured!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2015, 12:11:53 AM »
How could something been Incorporeal and Resilient at the same time thematically vise?