May 04, 2024, 06:42:51 AM

Author Topic: Most Underpowered Cards?  (Read 5404 times)

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Most Underpowered Cards?
« on: June 13, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »
There have been some discussions in the past about lackluster and disappointing cards, but since a new expansion is set to be released soon (which will hopefully shake things up a bit, since it provides a new victory condition), I figured this might be a good time to re-examine all the old cards and discuss which ones could use a buff in some way. 

In particular, I want to know if you think a card is terrible because the card itself is bad, or because certain cards haven't been released yet which might make it useful.  I'd also like to know what, if any, ideas you have to improve cards that are just genuinely bad. 

For example, I think [mwcard=MW1J06]Gate to Hell[/mwcard] is a legitimately terrible card (I've heard it has been slightly errata'd, but still).  It is a massive investment and grants relatively little in return.  [mwcard=MW1Q02]Bearskin[/mwcard], on the other hand, should be perfectly fine once frost cards start actually coming out. 

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Most Underpowered Cards?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
I'm a little underwhelmed by Ziggurat of Undeath. It only really functions to extend your book when you don't have any other creatures left to play. You can reanimate an opponent's creature if it would be particularly beneficial, like brogan fighting angels, but that will rarely happen. Add in that it only triggers when one of your zombies destroys a creature, and it means only late game zombie centric builds will get much use.

As for the possibility of changing the opinion in the new releases, I would be surprised if the new releases changed my opinion.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 09:21:34 PM »
Akiro Battle Cry.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:09:55 AM »
goblin builder: useless as a creature, a conjuration familiar is not usefull, and the reparation rate is to slow.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 01:27:21 AM »
Here is my list. I think that some spells will actually get stronger as some specific traits and creatures will get out of the AW laboratory.

Core set

Animal Kinship
Gate to Hell
Mountain Gorilla
Moonglow Faerie
Turn to Stone
Resurrection

Forcemaster x Warlord

Akiros Hammer
Goblin Bomber
War Sledge

Conquest of Kumanjaro

Makunda
Akiros Battle Cry

Druid vs Necromancer

Mohktaris Branch

Forged in Fire

Cerberus
Sardonyx

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 03:08:44 AM »
[mwcard=MW1Q02]Bearskin[/mwcard], on the other hand, should be perfectly fine once frost cards start actually coming out.
Lol. So, in approximately two years time it may become playable?  ;D

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:18:57 AM »
[mwcard=MW1Q02]Bearskin[/mwcard], on the other hand, should be perfectly fine once frost cards start actually coming out.
Lol. So, in approximately two years time it may become playable?  ;D
You joke, but the sad thing is, that estimate is actually generous.  Assuming the Siren doesn't specialize in ice magic (which is somewhat unlikely, since she already uses normal water and mind spells), the Cryomancer probably won't come out for 3 or more years.  Based on past releases and shared information, we already know Arcane Wonders' rough schedule for upcoming Mages:

1. Paladin vs Siren
2. Alt Wizard vs Forcemaster (artwork has been available for a long time online)
3. Shaman vs Illusionist (from episode 8 of Mage Wars Mondays)
4. Alt Necromancer vs Druid (based on previous releases)
5. Sorcerer vs Vampire (from episode 8 of Mage Wars Mondays; it's possible the Vampire Mage will come later on or be revamped/scrapped entirely)

Considering the recent releases have been roughly a year apart and the staff's attention will presumably be divided among Arena, Battlegrounds, and Academy releases for the foreseeable future, I'd estimate that Sorcerer vs ____ (the first expansion somewhat likely to contain a Cryomancer) will probably come out around November 2019.  So yeah... that's depressing. 

Back on topic, I'm surprised no one has mentioned [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC09]Giant Wolf Spider[/mwcard] yet. 

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
Maybe I am wrong. But I remember that I read somewhere that frost will be coming with Paladin vs. Siren.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 02:50:00 AM »
But I remember that I read somewhere that frost will be coming with Paladin vs. Siren.
Yup, in the speculation/wishlist thread about the expansion  ;)

It boggles the mind why Arcane Wonders chose to include spells with keywords in the core set that are completely irrelevant for years to come! Imho, Frost spells should have been included in the 'Conquest of Kumanjaro' expansion. Even a single Frost spell would have made a difference.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 05:43:09 AM »
Its simple. Before MW was ever released, there was a gigantic ammount of time (i think 5 years) in which its autor boil all ideas into one great pie.

When the time was right, only a small piece of this pie could fit into Core Set. Also, Ideas are still evolving and new more brighter overlaps the old ones. Sometimes, you need to cover some issue (War school in need of more cards) so this probably leads to different order of releases or change of what Frost can actually do.

Maybe it was reducing armor but then Corrode idea came or it prevents movement but then Stuck came...

I used Bearskin many times because it cost less spellpoints in my nature book. I would not say it is underpowered ;)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »
No, I think I read it somewhere more official. It was definitely not a wishlist.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
I actually like Akiro's Battle Cry, Animal Kinship, and Turn to Stone. I think that they have their uses, anyway.

How about adding Invisible Stalker, Perfect Strike, and Samara Tree (at least for now)?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »
I'm a little underwhelmed by Ziggurat of Undeath. It only really functions to extend your book when you don't have any other creatures left to play. You can reanimate an opponent's creature if it would be particularly beneficial, like brogan fighting angels, but that will rarely happen. Add in that it only triggers when one of your zombies destroys a creature, and it means only late game zombie centric builds will get much use.

As for the possibility of changing the opinion in the new releases, I would be surprised if the new releases changed my opinion.
I think it's more important that you only have to pay half the creature's cost to reanimate it.  It's an economy booster as well as saving on spellbook points.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer