May 13, 2024, 10:30:37 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars block formats  (Read 4197 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars block formats
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:50:19 PM »
Kind of like mtg block constructed formats. Some sets are legal and others aren't. It's generally best if spells from the core set are always legal.

Arena Blocks

-Core, Forcemaster vs Warlord, and Forged in Fire

-Core, Paladin vs Siren, and Conquest of Kumanjaro

-Core, Druid vs Necromancer, and Conquest of Kumanjaro

-Core, academy core, academy priestess, and academy warlock

These blocks are intended to be optimized for balance and diversity, or at least diversity. As more sets get released, there will be more block formats added to this list. This list could also function as a useful guide to the order to buy different sets in for your playgroup. Sets that are in the same "block" will likely go well together and make for a fun, fairly healthy semi-casual metagame. Although if you're planning to make a competitive tournament with it, you might want to watch out for imbalances that only become apparent when taken advantage of by sufficiently skilled players.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:42:27 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

lukard

Re: Mage Wars block formats
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:29:01 PM »
I really enjoy this idea and in my personal experience the format "1 core set and 1 big expansion" worked very well.

Normally, when I meet a new player I make a point to make a speelbook only with the cards the new player has; so, it turns to be more competitive and I do not throw a bunch of new cards/information on the table, focusing on the "fun experience" and avoiding throwing too much information at new players.

I also do similar things to other games and it works very well.

Cheers,
Lukard

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars block formats
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »
Edited the OP to be less complicated and more feasible
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars block formats
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 04:42:21 PM »
I really enjoy this idea and in my personal experience the format "1 core set and 1 big expansion" worked very well.

Normally, when I meet a new player I make a point to make a speelbook only with the cards the new player has; so, it turns to be more competitive and I do not throw a bunch of new cards/information on the table, focusing on the "fun experience" and avoiding throwing too much information at new players.

I also do similar things to other games and it works very well.

Cheers,
Lukard

As far as I know, warlord doesn't do so well in a core+FvWd only meta, and right now there are only two "big" expansions, the other one being Druid vs Necromancer, not counting domination. What do you do in the core+FvWd block when some helpless innocent brings a warlord, and finds out how much he sucked before any other sets were released? Back then pretty much everything he could do could be done better by an earth wizard, so there was no point to playing him. Granted, the errata to garrison post might have changed that enough for warlord to not suck in that block, but I'm not sure. Maybe a build that uses thorg would work.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:49:39 PM by Sailor Vulcan »