May 04, 2024, 04:36:36 AM

Author Topic: Is anyone else a little concerned...  (Read 20261 times)

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Is anyone else a little concerned...
« on: January 03, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
...by the idea that we won't be getting another new-mage expansion for roughly one full year?

Please note: this assumes that what I've read on various forums is correct: that Battlegrounds and Academy will be released before Paladin vs Siren.  Assumption #2: AW is only working on perfecting one expansion at a time.  Assumption #3: AW takes its time to playtest and perfect expansions before release--something I wholeheartedly approve of, but does mean at least 4 months, and usually closer to 6 months, between releases.

We're getting some new cards in each of the other expansions, and presumably Battlegrounds at least would introduce a new style of gameplay.  But is there enough variety with the current state of the game to maintain interest for one full year without any new mages?

Or am I just posting sky-is-falling silly worries? : )

jupiter999

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else a little concerned...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:58:43 PM »
It would be great if perfecting is in progress, although too long will drag our heart a bit :-\
Just found out that MW overall rank in BGG has dropped from 30 to 31... A bit sad... :'(
Anyway, just a share of info~
Happy MW!

lukard

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 07:17:08 AM »
At least in my playing group it is easy to say that we did not have a chance to fully explore every expansion yet. There is a lot of strategies to for us to experiment still. It should keep us entertained for many months.

Also, I heard many non-MW players saying that they will wait for Academy to come out; so, they can give it a try.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:44:25 AM »
i don´t mind that we haven´t more new mages soon, i prefer they testing the new mages very well, i prefer have more cards for all mages, because my favourite mage, the druid, now it´s for me very boring play with her, because the new Adra. Warlock, kill her very easy, because we haven´t enough resources against the fire, and all my plants have a flame +2 trait, furthemore my plants are very very limited, i play the same, i haven´t more variety, and i need more, and that´s boring me.

I hope in battlegrounds, the druid will have 3 or 4 new plants, and plant enchantments, and the designers put in the new plants only druid, because it´s a pity find beastmasters (animal) that plays plants.

I wait something against teleport, very tired of this strategy, maybe a cheaper construction that avoid teleportation from that zone, i hate very much when my mage it´s teleported several times.

I wait that in battlegrounds we´ll have many promotions cards , because there ´re too many without released, and many of them could come in a pack common for all players.

Well, it´s new year and this is my post for the Mage Kings (6 january) .

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »
I understand the concern. Hopefully with this new wave of playtesters the process will be a bit quicker. My hope is that battlegrounds will give new light to the game as it's an entire new way to play and now people will have to plan their decks around a new strategy.

As for the PvS it will take awhile but it will remedy two schools that need some love (Water and Holy), and I'm willing to wait around for that.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »
And keep in mind, with battlegrounds there will be new cards introduced. also in Academy, the cards will all be playable in Mage Wars.

so right there you are getting 2 expansions set to come out by in the second quarter of 2015.

Just because PvS isn't coming out as fast as some people would like, you are still going to get a lot of new toys with the first 2 MW products coming out in 2015.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:21:41 PM »
What I am waiting for is the MW app.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »

Did you see this posted to Mage Wars FB page this morning:

Mage Wars

Great news this morning! Apple has told us we are officially being reviewed for the Mage Wars Companion App! Should be soon that we can release it!

https://www.facebook.com/MageWars?fref=nf

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

jupiter999

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 08:31:04 PM »
The 8 Promo Cards look awesome :o
I wish I can grab them...

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »

Did you see this posted to Mage Wars FB page this morning:

Mage Wars

Great news this morning! Apple has told us we are officially being reviewed for the Mage Wars Companion App! Should be soon that we can release it!

https://www.facebook.com/MageWars?fref=nf

Indeed I did.

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 05:51:12 PM »
I personally think the new game modes are more important in reigniting interest in this game than the new mages. I know quite a few people whose mage wars sets are rotting on the shelf, and need some kind of kickstart to get them to the table.

I sincerely hope these products come at a reasonable price in the UK.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:37:55 PM »

I personally think the new game modes are more important in reigniting interest in this game than the new mages. I know quite a few people whose mage wars sets are rotting on the shelf, and need some kind of kickstart to get them to the table.

I sincerely hope these products come at a reasonable price in the UK.

I'm skeptical that new alternate game modes will really make a significant difference. Of all the alternate variants on these forums, the only one that anyone ever plays on OCTGN is Zuberi's 2v2. If people are playing alternate variants offline, they aren't really talking much about it here. I have been feeling lately like the 1v1 metagame has been getting a bit repetitive and stale, and others have probably noticed, but few of us seem to make any serious efforts to spice it up and make things more interesting.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 01:10:47 AM »
Obviously I'm bound by NDA, but I don't think any of the variants in the forums come close to the new modes being tested. Most of the things in the forums are simply "I had this idea" rather than having serious number crunching and playtesting behind them, not to mention whole new cards designed to support them. I am positive that they will pump some new life into the game and encourage a wave of newcomers to try out the game. Plus, the new cards will also be useful in regular Arena gameplay and impact the meta by inspiring new strategies and combos, like new cards always do.

That's not to say there aren't great ideas on the forums. Just that they haven't been fully realized and developed. My own team variant that you spoke of could still use some refining, I know. Even though it took months to get where it already is.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 12:24:44 PM »
I think these new ways to play will actually help the game more than adding 2 more Mages into the mix IMO.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
While my group and I want shiny new mages I'm more excited for Battlegrounds. I know (from my own point of view) I have a bunch of mages still to master. I've played almost all of them to some degree but I'm nowhere near fully comprehending them all.

A few people in my playgroup are a little burnt on straightforward arena combat. We've experimented with variants but having new, tested scenario designs will kick it up a notch - at least for my group.

New goals and objectives means new ways to play what you know. And what you know may not be nearly as effective.

I, for one, welcome our new Battleground Overlords.

:D