May 04, 2024, 02:19:51 PM

Author Topic: Miniatures Survey  (Read 19380 times)

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Miniatures Survey
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »
I would never buy them if they are not painted, either.  One point of note--and this is an honest question, my total skills and experience with painting minis would rattle in a thimble ; )--couldn't painters just whitecoat a painted mini, then paint over that if they *really* wanted a custom job?

Point being: unpainted minis are a deal-breaker for people like me, while I suspect painted minis wouldn't be a deal-breaker for those that would prefer to be able to paint their own.

Edit: Adding the key word "not" in my first sentence...; )
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:28:38 AM by IndyPendant »

Mika

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 04:35:25 AM »
+1 to this fantastic idea. But I want white metal miniatures... oldskool!
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »
I am a mini painter, and as such I would love to paint some mages.  However, this isn't a miniatures game and prepainted minis would probably sell better overall and I would them painted or unpainted.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »
I also don't like painting minis, but I do know that the price of prepainted minis has gotten really high.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »
Not to mention, it would be nice to be able to customize the artwork of your mage/spellbook at least to some extent.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »
So, how many people have completed the survey now then?

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »
I Kickstartered Yashima, just for Wizard mini :) in my case, only thing that matters is size and i am for bigger option here.

When comes to question, painted or not painted, there is a great greay area.

a) what quality will be a painting of minis
b) how much it will increase its cost
c) how many players already prepared their "green stuff" just to get more clothes for priestess or dress their dwar warlord into gold armor :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 12:40:18 PM »
I Kickstartered Yashima, just for Wizard mini :) in my case, only thing that matters is size and i am for bigger option here.

c) how many players already prepared their "green stuff" just to get more clothes for priestess or dress their dwar warlord into gold armor :)
I think this is a great reason for crowd funding. The base could be unpainted and then pay more for painted.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »

I think this is a great reason for crowd funding. The base could be unpainted and then pay more for painted.

Why would a company make both painted and unpainted miniatures.

If they are unpainted many people will either not buy them, or have to pay people to paint the mini's for them.  I will end up mailing my figures to someone to have them paint them to look identical to the cards.

If they come painted, you can easily repaint them to your liking. 

Selling both painted figures and unpainted figures sounds like a giant waste of money for a company.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
I am not familiar with "creating" process of minis but didnt they first create tham (f.e. 200 000) and then divide it to non-painted (150 000) and "going to be painted" group (50 000)?

Also, i am a big fan of creativity and seeing a black priestess on the board seems cool :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Rendrag

• Playtester
  • Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 10:48:32 AM »
I really like the idea of buying a pack of miniatures for a mage, such as a beast master pack that comes with the mage figure and other figures to represent the creature commonly used by the beast master.  Although I would like to see the dial down life counters, the one thing I would really like to see on the other creatures is a slot to put a number, if you are familiar with the X-Wing Miniatures game all the bases as slots to put numbers so you can distinguish between ships.  You could place the miniature on the board and the card for that miniature off the board and track damage/effects on the card.  The greatest thing about having miniatures is how much it would increase the aesthetics of the game.  I really think it would be a lot easier to get people into the game if they saw figures on the board instead of a jumble of cards, markers, and tokens.

P.S. Wall figures would be really helpful too

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »
I see that the survey is closed now. Personally, I'd never get anything that resembles a mini for this game. I also would hate to have to use them or have an opponent who would want to use theirs. I am hooked on the way things are, and don't want to be distracted by changes. I would hope these never are approved for use in tournaments. It was bad enough that I had an opponent who did not want to use a board to track their channeling / mana / life, but use a pad of paper instead....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 12:57:42 AM »
Before the magnetic status boards paper was a pretty good way to do it.

If the table got bumped all the little cubes got shifted and next thing you know we're both at 60 life and 34 mana on turn 3.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Miniatures Survey
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »
Honestly though, I think the minis are really really cool, but I probably wouldn't get them myself. In the context of the game, they do take up less space in the arena than a mage card, but aside from that they're a bit of a gimmick. I suppose it could be a bit distracting if your opponent has a very fancy mage mini. Another likely problem with using it in tournaments is that it   stands out so much that it aesthetically clashes with all the other spells and objects in the game, since they are all cards. It might also make things more confusing to new players, who see the mini standing out so much and understandably assume that it's special.

Maybe the minis wouldn't be so much of a gimmick if they created a non-zone based mage wars game.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:42:52 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 05:48:28 PM »
Honestly though, I think the minis are really really cool, but I probably wouldn't get them myself. In the context of the game, they do take up less space in the arena than a mage card, but aside from that they're a bit of a gimmick. I suppose it could be a bit distracting if your opponent has a very fancy mage mini. Another likely problem with using it in tournaments is that it   stands out so much that it aesthetically clashes with all the other spells and objects in the game, since they are all cards. It might also make things more confusing to new players, who see the mini standing out so much and understandably assume that it's special.

Maybe the minis wouldn't be so much of a gimmick if they created a non-zone based mage wars game.

Of course the mage is special, if he dies, you lose.