May 10, 2024, 10:41:11 AM

Author Topic: Otto Kronig, Master Engineer  (Read 5225 times)

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Otto Kronig, Master Engineer
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »
How can we make [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC09]Otto Kronig, Master Engineer[/mwcard] good?  To get value out of Otto you need to have a non-living corporeal conjuration that is so threatening to our opponent that they want to destroy it and Otto can protect and repair it.  Also we are going to want Otto to get to work before the enemy arrives since he needs time to add armor.  If the enemy is already attacking we would likely be better served by being aggressive.  So we need a conjuration that is threatening and worth summoning by round 2.  [mwcard=DNJ01]Altar of Skulls[/mwcard], would be awesome but it takes too long to actually work.  [mwcard=mw1j11]Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard], [mwcard=mw1j19]Deathlock[/mwcard], [mwcard=mw1j16]Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard] and [mwcard=mw1j21]Suppression Orb[/mwcard] are all quite threatening at the right time, but situational and you don't want to play them too early.

Which leaves one thing, walls.  And if you are going to invest that much into armoring a wall, you want one that is easily repaired therefore: [mwcard=DNW02]Wall of Bones[/mwcard].  So who would benefit the most from walling yourself into your starting corner?  By denying line of sight you negate a lot of normal stratagies.  [mwcard=FWE06]Fortified Position[/mwcard], [mwcard=mw1e37]Sacred Ground[/mwcard], and [mwcard=mw1j15]Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard] all become much more powerful when your opponent can't dispel them or push you out of your zone.  Also your opponent can't teleport you out of your fortress without breaking down a wall first.  Another neat trick is if you are attacked by a flier you can use sleep to trap them within your fortress where they cannot be easily woken up.  Beware Huggin and thoughtspores which can teleport you out of your fort.

You will want to be able to cram a lot of bonus channeling into that starting square, you will want a way to attack your opponent over the wall, and you will want an innate long game advantage to get the pay off of all this defense.  Ideas I've had so far, none of them tested:

Gothic Priestess:  Otto, Bone walls, [mwcard=DNC01]Acolyte of the Bog Queen[/mwcard] can repair walls or power the  [mwcard=mw1j23]Temple of Asyra[/mwcard].  Use the temple to summon angels and wear your opponent down while your priestess meditates in safety.  Possibly use a magewand of [mwcard=mw1i22]Resurrection[/mwcard] to create an "infinite" endgame.

Entrenched - Defensive Warlord: You will want to grab more then one zone so that you can lay down a [mwcard=FWJ02]Watchtower[/mwcard] with [mwcard=FWC07]Grimson[/mwcard], and still have space for a barracks.  Eventually climb your wall and place an outpost on the outside and let your barracks start summoning.  Add alter of domination if you think you can pull it off.

Maybe wall in the corner and only play the barracks outside the sniper's nest once you've established a defensive line.  [mwcard=FWC10]Ludwig Boltstorm[/mwcard] can scare attackers away from your walls.  The dwarf warlord's +2 piercing makes Ludwig a beast.

The Skull - Defensive forcemaster.  Start with Grimson and an archer tower, Otto walls you in the corner, then summon 4 thought spores.  When ready use a thoughtspore to teleport the enemy mage into your cage of suffering.  Or use your massive channeling and action advantage to dominate the field.  Probably bind dispel, acid ball, and teleport, plus maybe minor heal or reassemble.  Thought spores benefit greatly from sacred ground and fortified position, and they can guard to lose flying and hide behind the walls.  Occasionally enchant them with block, most unavoidable attacks are range 1 or melee.

Who wants to help me get one of these to work?  Anyone else had success using Otto?

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Otto Kronig, Master Engineer
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »
i'd also argue that otto buffing your exposed barracks could be a good idea early on.

Any progress?

I've been working on a walled-in dwarves deal and its slow going. I'm thinking you have to own the first zone with a watchtower with boltstorm and/or sniper. From there, hop the wall or make Boltstorm kill one. I've been using wall of earth and no Otto. wall of steel with otto is an idea, but healing them is too hard.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:19:38 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
The problem is that most conjurations are already very high on armor. So spending a full action and 11 mana to be able to add a 4th or 5th armor points on next turn is pretty much a waste.

Indeed Wall of Bones is the best wall to get armor. 1-2 armor on a 12 hp structure is very good to make it last.

A spellbook like this one could work, but it would be long if you can't kill some opponent creatures via the bat bombs.

The strategy would be to wall off the rigth side to have 3 zones to cast Deathlock, Idol of Pestilence and Altar of Skull.

Maim Wing and Cloak of Shadow is to prevent Huggin to teleport you out of your fortress.

Teleport trap, Poison Cloud and Hellfire Trap is to really hurt anything passing the walls.

Reassemble, Mort and Otto should keep the walls alive.

Bats and Enchantment Transfusion are there to bomb the enemy mage with Curses and if possible Rot tokens.

Ichilitid with Eternal Servant are there to try to kill creatures to speed up the Altar of Skulls.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]BatBomb[/spellbookname]
[mage]Necromancer[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ01]1 x  Altar of Skulls[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j11]1 x  Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j18]3 x  Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]6 x  Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j19]1 x  Deathlock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c08]6 x  Darkfenne Bat[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC05]2 x  Ichthellid[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC09]1 x  Otto Kronig, Master Engineer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC07]1 x  Mort[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC01]2 x  Acolyte of the Bog Queen[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e09]2 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]6 x  Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]4 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]2 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]1 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e38]3 x  Teleport Trap[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]2 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]1 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e22]3 x  Hellfire Trap[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE02]1 x  Rise Again[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x  Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI03]4 x  Reassemble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i01]1 x  Banish[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
I'm wondering if you can use him with Goblin Builder. Thanks for the insight. I'm trying to figure out the right mage to do a two man team with. My biggest problem right now is the need for mana.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »

Actually, I lost a game against the Anvil Throne Warlord using this strategy.

He took control of half of the board, walled himself and his soldiers in and began shooting at me using the watchtowers while repairing and reinforcing the walls. I was with the Adramalech warlord and the only reason I survived so long is because I had the cloak of shadows making me obscure. My creatures weren't so lucky and they either perished before I could get through any of the walls or were not summoned, because they wouldn't survive one round...

It took me forever to be able to get through his walls. When I finally succeeded, I had no creatures left and was all on my own against 10 of his soldiers... Good luck Warlock! 

The end came shortly after...

However, it did take him quite some time to set everything up and almost died doing it.He was 2 damage away from dying before summoning his last wall of steel.

I guess I could've anticipated this and destroyed the watchtowers when I had the chance, but I got cocky and concentrated all my imps and fire attacks on the mage himself.

Anyway, long story short, this build can actually work very well and Otto and Goblin builder were key to all this.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
Awesome write up. I'm curious what his spellbook looks like and yours as well.

Actually, I lost a game against the Anvil Throne Warlord using this strategy.

He took control of half of the board, walled himself and his soldiers in and began shooting at me using the watchtowers while repairing and reinforcing the walls. I was with the Adramalech warlord and the only reason I survived so long is because I had the cloak of shadows making me obscure. My creatures weren't so lucky and they either perished before I could get through any of the walls or were not summoned, because they wouldn't survive one round...

It took me forever to be able to get through his walls. When I finally succeeded, I had no creatures left and was all on my own against 10 of his soldiers... Good luck Warlock! 

The end came shortly after...

However, it did take him quite some time to set everything up and almost died doing it.He was 2 damage away from dying before summoning his last wall of steel.

I guess I could've anticipated this and destroyed the watchtowers when I had the chance, but I got cocky and concentrated all my imps and fire attacks on the mage himself.

Anyway, long story short, this build can actually work very well and Otto and Goblin builder were key to all this.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 03:48:12 PM »
I'll see what I can do.
My spellbook is definitely saved and accessible, but I'm not sure about my brother's. I don't know if he saved it.