May 16, 2024, 08:54:32 PM

Author Topic: How much v'tar do you need to win Apprentice Domination?  (Read 1750 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
How much v'tar do you need to win Apprentice Domination?
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
There were apprentice domination mage wars demos at origins this year. I don't remember whether the win condition was 6 v'tar or 7 v'tar. Or was it 5? I would like to know because I made a map for it in New Apprentice Domination.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: How much v'tar do you need to win Apprentice Domination?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 02:05:58 PM »
This question has become relevant to other things too now. Could I please get an answer?

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: How much v'tar do you need to win Apprentice Domination?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »
I'm not sure what they played at Origins or what the official answer would be. Doing a quick spreadsheet of the two-player maps included in the Domination Rule Book though it would seem that you should have approximately one orb for every two zones in the Arena and require approximately one V'tar for every zone.

So, a 6 zone arena should include around 3 orbs and 6 V'tar. These figures are by no means a hard rule and do not take into account the shape of the Arena used or the special tiles used which can both have an affect on game length and confrontation level as well. They are merely the very roughest of guidelines.

Increasing the number of orbs would make the game less confrontational and V'tar easier to get. Increasing the amount of V'tar needed would increase game length and make mage death a more viable winning condition, while reducing it would have the opposite effect. The Orbs should be placed symmetrically allowing both players equal access to them.

Looking at images of the maps they had at Origins, it seems like they used 4 orbs, which is probably a good idea since it's hard to place 3 symmetrically in the 6-zone Arena layout they used. I would probably also increase the V'tar needed to 7 in this case though, to help balance out the easier access to it and make Mage Death more viable.