May 01, 2024, 07:56:33 PM

Author Topic: Wizard Voltaric Shield and a few other ?  (Read 5881 times)

Rafpaz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wizard Voltaric Shield and a few other ?
« on: January 01, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »
Hey guys - new player here. After playing our first game several issues came up:
1. Is the Wizard's Voltaric Shield subject to critical hit rules just like armor?
2. Once revealed, does the Circle of lightning have any upkeep cost?
3. Can my Stunned Feral Bobcat role defense despite the fact that It is stunned?
4. I see that there is an open discussion on conditions and I will look into it, but this was easily the most confusing part of our play through. What is the manna cost on the bottom (grey circle) for ?  can I pay that and anull the effect, do I wait it out and pay that at the end as an additional penalty for being afflicted? Is it an additional cost for spells attempting to dispell or anull the effect?
Any responses will be greatly appreciated - the game is great

Rafpaz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Voltaric Shield and a few other ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »
Just saw that the rules actually clarify that certain conditions such as Stun can impede defense being used. That answers question number 3. Any other info regarding the other questions will be greatly appreciated.

Cavie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »
Quote from: "Rafpaz" post=6050
Hey guys - new player here. After playing our first game several issues came up:
1. Is the Wizard's Voltaric Shield subject to critical hit rules just like armor?
2. Once revealed, does the Circle of lightning have any upkeep cost?
3. Can my Stunned Feral Bobcat role defense despite the fact that It is stunned?
4. I see that there is an open discussion on conditions and I will look into it, but this was easily the most confusing part of our play through. What is the manna cost on the bottom (grey circle) for ?  can I pay that and anull the effect, do I wait it out and pay that at the end as an additional penalty for being afflicted? Is it an additional cost for spells attempting to dispell or anull the effect?
Any responses will be greatly appreciated - the game is great

I'll do the best I can here - I'm quite new myself so if I screw up something here, hopefully someone else more knowledgable can correct me.

1.  The way I understand the shield is that it absorbs 3 damage from an attack, critical or non-crit.  It can NOT however prevent direct damage such as that received from something like a non-attack spell (i.e. Drain Life) or a condition such as Burn.

2.  The only thing I remember on Circle of Lightning is Magebind +2 and that it creates a Damage Barrier.  Don't have the card in front of me but I don't remember an upkeep on there.

3.  You said you got this one figured out.

4.  I'm still not 100% about condition removals and hope to hear from someone else here.  The way I'm understanding the mana cost at the bottom of the token is that if you want that condition removed you must have a spell (like Purify for poison types) or ability (like the Priestess) that allows you to do that and then you pay the mana cost on the token to rid of the condition.  Otherwise I think certain conditions are removed after the criteria is met (ie. roll a 0 on Burn, or 'after acting' on Daze).

Rafpaz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:05:52 PM »
Thanks a lot Cavie.

I think you are right on the Voltaric shield. Looking forward to hearing definitive answers on the condition tokens.

Raidre

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:08:08 AM »
The number at the bottom of condition tokens is the removal cost. You must play a card or an ability that allows you to remove a condition, to be able to pay the removal cost on the token to remove the effect. As mentioned by others, some effects can fall off naturally or by other means and not just by paying the removal cost such as burn or stun.

You can always check the codex for each condition and it will explain the ways a condition can be removed if it has other options besides just paying the removal cost.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »
1) the Voltaric Shield cancels damage critical or otherwise. It is unlike armour in that it stops all types of damage.

2) If a spell has an Upkeep cost it will have the Upkeep trait listed on the card. Circle of Lighting does not have an upkeep.

3) You are correct

4) The Mana costs to remove a Condition are only used for spells or abilities that allow you to remove a Condition such as the Priestess' Restore ability. If you do not have an ability to spell that specifies that you can remove a condition then the Mana costs listed on the Condition token do not come into effect.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
One thing to remember about the Voltaric Shield is that is says you turn it off "The first time tthe Wizard is attacked and dealt damage this round".  It also says that you cancel up to 3 points of damage, which is why if it is critical or not makes no difference.
The shield is between your Wizard's armor and his skin.

klempad

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »
That brings up a good point:
Would it be reasonable to assume that the Wizard gets to choose which damage points to cancel? I.e., can he cancel critical damage so that his armor (if any) could help with the rest?

Cavie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:15:47 AM »
Quote from: "klempad" post=6142
That brings up a good point:
Would it be reasonable to assume that the Wizard gets to choose which damage points to cancel? I.e., can he cancel critical damage so that his armor (if any) could help with the rest?

Check out THIS thread.

Sounds like the Wizard's armor takes damage first, then the shield takes it.

klempad

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »
Yes, that seems to cover it.
Thanks.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »
Yes the armor is applied before the shield.

As I said before. ;)
The attack has to deal at least one point of damage to the Wizard in order to trigger and use the shield, and this damage is counted after armor has already taken effect. If the attack deals no damage to the Wizard (for example, all damage is absorbed by armor, or the attack is blocked by a Defense), the shield is not used. If the attack deals only 1 or 2 damage, all of that damage is prevented, but the shield is still used up (the unused points of reduction do not carry over into a future attack).
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage