May 15, 2024, 03:15:31 PM

Author Topic: From the Board Room: The Moments We Share  (Read 5088 times)

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
From the Board Room: The Moments We Share
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »
Here's my latest article, where I ask, "what are your favorite moments with our games?"  Feel free to post yours here, in pics, videos, or text.  I look forward to hearing about them!

http://www.arcanewonders.com/arcane-wonders/from-the-board-room-the-moments-we-share
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

rayzor6

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: From the Board Room: The Moments We Share
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 11:57:40 AM »
For me...it's this learning phase.  I have only played boardgames in general for less than a year and Mage Wars is my favorite.  It takes all the things I liked about CCG games that I played for years and improved on them ALL!

I have lost more games than I have won....and let me add: I like it this way.  I'm learning about the flow of the game, what cards work best with others and strategies. 

I played MTG for many years and not to brag, but in my tenure...I was very good.  I dominated at many events and especially my local shop, but winning all the time gets boring.  You have to play one of X deck types to win (at the latter part of my MTG 'career') and it gets a bit tedious.    I like to mix things up and try to make things work.

The learning part of the game is exciting as new ideas come together and your play style becomes defined.  That is the moment I'm in now...and while most people hate it...I am greatly enjoying it!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

London_Dave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
Playing as the basic Warlock vs the basic Beastmaster. My strategy revolved around Malaconda - getting the BM and assorted animals into his zone for a slow poisony death. This was going well so I came in for the kill with the lash. Unfortunately the BM proceeds to tanglevine me and cast Moktari tree of life, leaving me to suffer my own poison damage while her minions regenerate! I fireballed the tree and somehow managed to scrape a victory, but that was an awesome play by the BM. Love this game.

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:22:59 PM »
That's cool Rayzor6!  I too learn more from defeat that in victory when beginning a game.

London_Dave, that soudns intense, and fun, all at the same time!  It can turn on a dime, and those with quick qits and fast decisions can usually prevail.  Glad you won, good stuff there! :)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »
Constantly playing against my friends and making each other better. The hard fought wins/losses where the survivor was obviously about to go down next action, the insane plans you pull off that pay off huge, and the wacky dice rolls good and bad that swing a match. I enjoy spending weeks trying to counter a local mage and finally getting that one combination that cracks the book. I really love teaching the game to new players and watching them get so into the fight. Mage Wars feels like an old style duel sometimes where it's just you, your book, and your wits against the other player and I love that aspect.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
Well, those stories about 1 hp left or "all blanks" on a nine dice throw must have nearly every true practicioner of mage wars. There are lot of moments which i will probably remember until the days, when i will become too old to hold spellbook but still had enough strength to tell stories, and pass those stories unto my grandchildren.

First story i will tell them, will be how i first met Mage Wars. How the idea of "whole deck in hands" strucked me like a pillar of light could hit a zombie crawler (+2 vs nonliving) and how i was stunned.

My second story will be, how i completly remember all cards from core set, completly absorb whole 50 pages of rules and how i win my first battle.

My third story will be about how i became ambassador (i am a bad ass odour?) and had my first demo, convinced first apprentice to become a full mage and create a great tournaments and leagues.

My fourth story will be about friends, honorable enemies, great advesaries and one nemesis which i couldnt beat despite the fact how hard i try and despite the fact, that oponents i beat, beat also my nemesis.

My fifth story will be my last, but this story doesnt happend yet. So please, bear with me. There is more then 15 years which need to happen until i would be able to tell it...

Until then, be afraid of an alternate necromancer http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/242/9/2/attack_of_the_necrosaurs__by_sirhanselot-d7xa0j5.jpg
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »
I remember being at GenCon while talking about my dislike for the MtG mechanics and how I've thrown so much money at it that I had to leave the game behind. At the height of my exclamation I looked to my right and there was a person taking names down to demo this new game coming out the following year...

Over the years I showed and taught my friends how to play. One day I looked at my friend Justin and said, "We've had some great games and i want to see how many people out there think about this game as much as we do."

Now every week we dedicate our time to make Arcane Duels a group that shares these exact moments.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

UrNemesis

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
I just keep thinking of going up against people playing the Beastmaster against me and how I have not won once against any of those decks. It blows my mind how this keeps happening to me but then I go and play the same people when they have other mages and I win more often than not. Crazy fun but frustrating at the same time. Which, in the end gives me the most excitement because maybe, just maybe this next time I'll win against that Beastmaster.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 10:31:18 PM »
At least for this week:

Watching Charmyna and Schwenkgott battle it out for 4 hours while spectating their game on OCTGN.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
I love it... there's so many unique stories out there, and so many more to be made!  Great stuff gang, thanks for sharing!