May 01, 2024, 10:55:54 PM

Author Topic: Your hopes and fears about Forged In Flames  (Read 20906 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Your hopes and fears about Forged In Flames
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
However, I sometimes think they need what may be obvious to regular players spelt out to them. Because if you're designing, playing with new cards ALL the time, you're not actually the playing game as is (I know I'm more disconnected from the meta, almost all my games are not normal). So please have some sympathy if a few of these points have not been captured (I really tried, with long essays). I can't say more due to a Non-Disclosure clause. But unless they shoot themselves in the foot at the last minute, while I don't agree with one of the mages focused on, this next set should make most fans extremely happy. I'm pretty plain-speaking, never afraid to criticise AW, but the next set should be the best so far.

Since I started working here, I've been pushing for all of us to play at least one "normal" game each week. I know it's helped my design greatly. It's always good when you can get down into the trenches and see just what's working or not working.

Also, DB is totally right, we care about your feedback. We look at what our players want and we carefully wiegh our options. I've said before that we do not turn on a dime, and that is certainly true. We do watch, and at the end of the day we all want the same thing, for Mage Wars to be the best game it can be!

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 04:08:09 PM »
Everyone always mentions how powerful the wizard is but no one ever points out that he is a glass cannon, if you can get on top of a wizard he is pretty much beaten. Wizards are frail and taste good to big creatures.

IMO the opposite is the case. The wizard is by far the hardest to kill! A bit more life is meaningless compared  to 10 channeling, voltaric shield and the big spell book. Have you played against a wizard with high armor+veterans belt+regrowth? He is a cannon made of diamonds that actually dont turn into carbon when heated ...

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
My hopes are (not necessarily for FiF, but always) for more combo-card.

I would love to see creatures and conjurations that evolves. Like a super heavy dragon which have a extra sacrificial cost associated to it (egg conjuration with five time tokens or something).
Or three different conjurations that don’t really do anything for them self’s but together does something really powerful. I’m thinking: “Put one of each conjuration in each corner of the arena and your channeling goes up by +10”. With cards like this traps will be more useful, and you can lure your opponent to go after something (and waste time/mana) you never had in mind evolving.
Or a three step golem that starts out small (clay golem), which is later on is sacrificed to a medium golem (stone golem), who finally is sacrificed to large golem (rock golem (?)).

My fear is that frost spells once again will shine with its absence...

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 01:58:38 AM »
I would expect Frost with Siren mage. Not now, especially when name of upcoming expansion is Forged In Fire :D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 05:48:11 AM »
I would expect Frost with Siren mage. Not now, especially when name of upcoming expansion is Forged In Fire :D

But what about the Frost Giant from the Dwarven mountains? Seems like the perfect counter to a Fire-based Warlock.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »
As a 'Lord player, my hope is the designers drew inspiration from Dwarven anti-magic lore (mostly from the Warhammer universe).

My fear is that they didn't.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »
Hopes: balance the warlord and wizard.
Fears: the warlord and wizard will not be balanced, or will be even less balanced.

Also, I think Johnny is misunderstood. It's not that he cares little for efficiency. Johnny loves to experiment and try new things. If a strategy looks fun but inefficient, Johnny tries to find a way to MAKE it efficient. Fun is more important than winning, but it's even better to be able to have fun AND win, and everyone knows that. I think it can be argued that all customizable strategy players who design their own builds have an inner Johnny.

When designing a spellbook I try to think of interesting fun ideas, and then after that see which ones I can make work.

Johnny's solution to inefficiency is creativity. Goblin Builder with Gate to Hell is a sign of an amateur or sleep-deprived Johnny, at least in the current meta as far as I can tell.

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »
I don't think Johnny is misunderstood, I think the practice of claiming a single title out of the three is inaccurate. Most people are not pure Johnny, or pure Timmy or Spike. Most of us fall in between. I personally am both Johnny and Spike, leaning only slightly towards the Johnny side.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 02:01:08 AM »
i would like to known when forge in flames will be posible to buy.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:34 AM »
My guess is May, but that may be changed during next 14 days :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 07:45:18 AM »
As soon as we have a date we will let you know.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »
I am okay with any kind of date.

MW is like a wine, more you have it, more your head hurts..... from countless combinations.

MW is like a cheese, longer you have it unpacked on dinner table, more your wife yell to move it away.