May 02, 2024, 08:53:28 AM

Author Topic: Your hopes and fears about Forged In Flames  (Read 20907 times)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Your hopes and fears about Forged In Flames
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
Hope:

- More cheaper creatures for all mages, and competitives, more better bats, nature plants of level one, ....
- More spells versus army of one mage (forcemage).
- Better fire spells.
- Maybe a Fire elemental creature.

Fear:
- Ballista (i hope when its relased would be unique)
- More arcane spells.

My best hope:

- I would like to see spoilers NOW!!!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
Hope:
To one day finally know what Frost does.
To be able to get my car out of the ice filled parking lot.
More demons and fire spell variety.

Fears:
Not being able to free my car.
That I'm out of oreos.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 02:57:57 PM »
LOL :D

Well, my first guess was that frost will lower armor or attack capabilites. Now, i think it will restrict movement.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »
Hopes it. Comes out before 6 monthes after DVN

FEARS IT WONT

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 03:38:48 PM »
Hope:

Fears:
That I'm out of oreos.

I am pretty sure Frost will work to prevent you from getting your car out of the parking lot. Bring some fire spells to counter it.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »
Hope:

Fears:
That I'm out of oreos.

You have good theory but scientifically and historically speaking it's been proven that fire and my car don't mix....

I am pretty sure Frost will work to prevent you from getting your car out of the parking lot. Bring some fire spells to counter it.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »
Hope:

Fears:
That I'm out of oreos.

You have good theory but scientifically and historically speaking it's been proven that fire and my car don't mix....

But Oreo's and Girl Scout Thin Mints are quite nice frozen.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
Mint Oreo milkshakes are amazing.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 12:11:58 AM »
In all seriousness though I've been looking at what's been shown so far I'm hoping it's at least half as cool as it looks. Oh man you can summon a God of War for the War Lord? That's awesome! I'm a huge fantasy fan-boy anyway and I always prefer dwarves to elves. Getting to play one and smite stupid elves will be huge fun. Yeah I know my favorite Mage is a wood elf....but Grizzly's are just cool so I overlook that. But once I get a functional dwarf then all bets are off.

My one true hope though? The one that I asked Santa for? The one I've been good(yeah basically...sorta....sure) all year for?

I want a dragon.

Not a super giant awe inspiring Smaug like dragon. I don't think we could handle the awesome.

But a dragon. Preferably one that breathes fire but I'll settle for acid breathing black dragons too.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »
In all seriousness though I've been looking at what's been shown so far I'm hoping it's at least half as cool as it looks. Oh man you can summon a God of War for the War Lord? That's awesome! I'm a huge fantasy fan-boy anyway and I always prefer dwarves to elves. Getting to play one and smite stupid elves will be huge fun. Yeah I know my favorite Mage is a wood elf....but Grizzly's are just cool so I overlook that. But once I get a functional dwarf then all bets are off.

My one true hope though? The one that I asked Santa for? The one I've been good(yeah basically...sorta....sure) all year for?

I want a dragon.

Not a super giant awe inspiring Smaug like dragon. I don't think we could handle the awesome.

But a dragon. Preferably one that breathes fire but I'll settle for acid breathing black dragons too.

I have a hunch that'll be happening in this expansion. They had a skeletal dragon they were working on for DvN that didn't make the cut because he needed a little bit more playtesting. I'm assuming they have had ample time to get the finishing touches done on him.

They even had a contest for naming him. The winning name was Sardonyx, blight of the living. I'm gonna guess he'll have a breath attack that inflicts rot tokens.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 12:46:51 AM »
Yes I'd heard of this bone dragon but couldn't find the thread. This strikes me as a good start as it's at least HALF a dragon. A necrotic dragon would certainly make me go make a Necromancer book or 5. A breath attack that did Rot would be amazing.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 02:42:25 AM »
I always prefer dwarves to elves. Getting to play one and smite stupid elves will be huge fun. Yeah I know my favorite Mage is a wood elf....but Grizzly's are just cool so I overlook that. But once I get a functional dwarf then all bets are off.

First Beastmaster then Wizard, now the Dwarf. Go on, Silver, just admit it. It's the beards, isn't it...? :)

I want a dragon.

In Clix, do you like to base your team around a high-point "tent pole"?
Is there a name among Clix players for that type of team preference?

In Magic, there are 3 archetype players:

Johnny - for him the clever show-off combo/manoeuvre is all that matters, even if inefficient or situational
Among regular posters here, Imaginator fits this achetype best (he even tried Gate to Hell + Goblin Builder)

Spike - he's ultra-competitive, all about efficiency, doesn't care about style, he will exploit the best cards
I'm a Spike but not proud of it, sadly no game is perfectly balanced so that all strategies are equally viable

And then there's...

Timmy! - he's the one who who wants the biggest threat in play, "everybody, just look at the size of mine!"
If we're honest, all customisable game players have an Inner Timmy cos it's fun controlling the Biggest Bad

If you draw a triangle with Style, Efficiency and Awe at the 3 vertices, most players can map where they are

As for the thread subject, if final looks anything like what we last saw, most of the hopes listed above will be fulfilled and most of the fears will be allayed. However, this is a really good topic - I only wish it had appeared earlier. I advise somebody to post a similar titled thread which grows in the intervening X months between Forged In Fire and their next set. It's a shame they don't crowd-source more, leverage their best free asset, their perceptive fans (I brought this up after Shad0w's "promos are a beta test" comment). But they really do listen to their fans and care (and the amount of design feedback they give playtesters is frankly awesome). However, I sometimes think they need what may be obvious to regular players spelt out to them. Because if you're designing, playing with new cards ALL the time, you're not actually the playing game as is (I know I'm more disconnected from the meta, almost all my games are not normal). So please have some sympathy if a few of these points have not been captured (I really tried, with long essays). I can't say more due to a Non-Disclosure clause. But unless they shoot themselves in the foot at the last minute, while I don't agree with one of the mages focused on, this next set should make most fans extremely happy. I'm pretty plain-speaking, never afraid to criticise AW, but the next set should be the best so far.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:05:10 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 03:30:35 AM »
I always prefer dwarves to elves. Getting to play one and smite stupid elves will be huge fun. Yeah I know my favorite Mage is a wood elf....but Grizzly's are just cool so I overlook that. But once I get a functional dwarf then all bets are off.

First Beastmaster then Wizard, now the Dwarf. Go on, Silver, just admit it. It's the beards, isn't it...? :)

I want a dragon.

In Clix, do you like to base your team around a high-point "tent pole"?
Is there a name among Clix players for that type of team preference?

Hehehe good reply Deck. Though I don't remember ever mentioning a preference for the Wizard, just made a book for him once. I do in fact however have a very awesome goatee of awesome(my girlfriend named it) in real life.

In clix I actually am not a tent pole player. The term btw is simply "tent pole team." I am vastly more likely to run Birds of Prey rather than say just Superman. The term for my style is "swarm team" and is pretty self explanatory. Clix matches are based on points that are multiples of 100. For example a 500 point game would consists of pieces who's total point values are equal to or less than 500. Some of my best friends will gladly run a 500 point team base or Galactus but it's not my style. At 500 for example I prefer to bring 5-8 pieces to the fight and diversify my threats. So Oracle(50), Black Canary(100), Big Barda(145), Dove(86), Catwoman(71) with a 14 point Utility Belt and 5 points tied up for the Birds of Prey ATA is vastly more my style. Both tent pole and swarm are perfectly valid strategies but one just doesn't work for me. My record for my last season I played I think was 21-8 with the final Championship finals belonging to me(barely) and one tournament missed. My favorite current teams are Birds of Prey and Avengers.

Anyway back on topic I have huge faith in the next set. I really want to stress that I'm very pleased with everything I've seen in Mage Wars so far. It's been really easy for me to get a good strong player base and all the matches I've played have been tight competitive events that have left big smiles on our faces.

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 05:56:14 AM »
I mostly share the hopes (more love for the old Warlord!) and fears expressed in earlier posts in this thread. Some additional hopes:

- war school attack spells
- war school torso armour (ever noticed how almost every other school has a very specific one but the war school doesn't? Still can't get my around that)
- some kind of scout creature (elusive and/or fast)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 06:40:06 AM »
Playing all Mages until now, but the Arena tells me that normally the best (and most used ) Mages are those with Channel 10. In fact, Warlord, Warlock, the Beasmasters and the Priest are underpar (imho).

So speaking about them (mainly Warlord) i hope in an object like Vine Tree for Druid that brings Channel to 10.
In War style, this could be translated like this example:

MASTERPIECE
After the Warlord equips a weapon, put the Masterpiece token on it. The weapon gains the Indestructible Trait, +1 Atk and the Warlord gains Channel +1.

CYA,
G.