May 01, 2024, 08:06:06 PM

Author Topic: Your hopes and fears about Forged In Flames  (Read 20905 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Your hopes and fears about Forged In Flames
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
I hope:

- many trap enchantments and/or conjurations (timed bombs, attached bombs, catapult trap, etc)
- some kind of spyglass goblin that allow conjuration to get the Indirect trait.
- shield equipment

I fear:

- they release Balista as it is right now, it would be the death of spawnpoints.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Your hopes and fears about Forged In Flames
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »
Hopes:

Interesting cards like alot of the latest promos.

The wizard no longer being on top of the food chain.

Warlord becoming viable.

Alternative mages being viable from the launch. (thinking Johktari and Priest here.)

New mages being distinct like Druid and Necromancer.

Fears:
Agree with the Ballista.

More cards like Vine tree and partially Libro.
Especially Vinetree is a 100% must use, and must open card. Takes away variety = boring in the long run.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:35:46 AM »
Hopes:  rebalance Wizard and Warlord. Something to make non living and psychic immune less dominant.

Fears: Failure to rebalance Wizard leads to boring meta until the next expansion.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:36:27 AM »
Hopes:
Alternated warlord does not pay triple for arcane and/or enough high level war spells to make playing a warlord viable.
Flying Walls
Some more water spells

Fears:
A new mechanic like vines, I love my Druid but vines are broken in my opinion (No other mage can spend a mana a turn to place tokens on the board, by round 3 a druid should be able to cast a creature almost anywhere on the board and never have to leave her starting corner.)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »
Hopes:
-Like everybody else has said, fixing the Warlord. That is a given. The triple arcane can stay as long as non-arcane alternative cards to things like teleport and dispel are made.
-Enchantment that converts normal damage to critical
-Attacks or creatures that deal critical damage
-Alternatives to teleport
-Fallen angels ;)
- Mage-specific equipment (specifically for the warlord. ACG has some good ideas for this)

Fears:
-Agree with Ballista
-Agree with wizard too. Any awesome fire spells that come out in this set are only gonna potentially help the wizard get even better
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:44:32 AM »
Don't forget awesome fire spells will also make the Warlock even better.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:07:57 PM »
Don't forget awesome fire spells will also make the Warlock even better.

Yes of course, I was just trying to point out that any new fire, earth, and other elemental spells will be helping the wizard as well.

So while the warlord and warlock should (hopefully) be getting huge boosts in playability, the warlord in particular, the wizard will probably be getting the 3rd highest boost out of the existing mage due to his choice of elemental school mastery.

Combining this with his current dominance of meta, I fear that his dominance will continue.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
This is my concern as well, and is part of the reason the Wizard has proven so hard to get under control. Boosting any other mage has a strong chance of also boosting the Wizard since he has so many potential schools and usually had plenty of book points for out of school spells.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
This is my concern as well, and is part of the reason the Wizard has proven so hard to get under control. Boosting any other mage has a strong chance of also boosting the Wizard since he has so many potential schools and usually had plenty of book points for out of school spells.

Exactly. I think it might have been more balanced if the Wizard had training in level 2 of an elemental school of his choice and then paid triple for the other elemental schools.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 12:44:24 PM »

Exactly. I think it might have been more balanced if the Wizard had training in level 2 of an elemental school of his choice and then paid triple for the other elemental schools.
I always thought the minors should also have opposing schools. So Fire v. Water & Earth v. Air this way a Fire Mage cant run cheap Dissolves and Vice Versa. This would provide some balance.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 01:21:11 PM »
Everyone always mentions how powerful the wizard is but no one ever points out that he is a glass cannon, if you can get on top of a wizard he is pretty much beaten. Wizards are frail and taste good to big creatures.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »

I always thought the minors should also have opposing schools. So Fire v. Water & Earth v. Air this way a Fire Mage cant run cheap Dissolves and Vice Versa. This would provide some balance.

I actually thought about this after my post, and I agree, I think it would help balance everything out a bit.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:38:28 PM by Lord0fWinter »

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »
Everyone always mentions how powerful the wizard is but no one ever points out that he is a glass cannon, if you can get on top of a wizard he is pretty much beaten. Wizards are frail and taste good to big creatures.

I don't completely agree with this. Once he has a couple of pieces of armor on, plus his voltaic shield, he has decent survivability. He definitely isn't the best tank out there, but he isn't designed to be. Throw on a regen belt along with the armor and shield, and he's pretty good to go. And if he ever gets in serious trouble, he can just teleport away.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
Hopes:

New warlord will be balanced.
Old Warlord with FiF cards will be also to compete fully with others
New Earth spell will not strenghten Earth Wizzard builds to a new unreachable level
Some non arcane teleport spell
Some creature or enchantement which makes Akiros Hammer playable

Fears:
New Warlord will be overbalanced
Old Warlord will not benefit from FiF cards
Dark side will gain more nasty stuff than Light side
There will be more new arcane spells (Dwarven teslacoil aka Monolith of storms >> Arcane)
FiF will arrive in may :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
Once he has a couple of pieces of armor on, plus his voltaic shield, he has decent survivability. He definitely isn't the best tank out there, but he isn't designed to be. Throw on a regen belt along with the armor and shield, and he's pretty good to go. And if he ever gets in serious trouble, he can just teleport away.

This is definitely right. The wizard starts with 32 life (but the average is only like 34 so that isn't a big deal) and the voltaric shield gives him extra survivability. Depending on his school selection, he's also one of the only wizards who can get in-school armor with a good elemental defense.