Mage Wars > Spellbook Design and Construction

120pts vs spellbook design

<< < (2/3) > >>

Arcanus:
Ha!  Good catch Klaxus.  Yes, 16 pts.

TJ said it well, 120 points is fairly tight.  You'll want to stay in school as much a spossible, but will find you can still have some nasty surprises for your foe.

I'd like to point out too that FAMILIARS are creatures which can cast spells, and SPAWNPOINTS are conjurations which can cast spells.  When you add those in, you could cast a lot more than 30 spells in 15 rounds.

Last note:  Long before you run out of spells, you will run out of options.  Having limited options starts affecting your tactics and play style, and your opponent will see this and react accordingly.

Hekireky:
I've noticed that that on every single mage card description there is a number 120 shown at how much spell points you can allocate to your spellbook. However, I was wondering if there will be other mages, who will be able to "scribe"/"remember"/"learn" etc. etc. spells, for e.g. an arch-magus, who will be able to learn a total of 140 spell book points. Will that be possible to see for us in the future expansions? :)

Klaxas:
if i recall correctly i think i heard mention of a future arch mage who was powerful enough to take on 3 other mages (as in 4 player game, 3v1) and that they would come out with a new arch mage every year or so.

again dont quote me on this thats just something i think i remember hearing somewhere (and my memory isnt always good lol)

1unatic:
Hi Hekireky,

We absolutely would like to see mages with varying spell point pools for spellbook construction.  One of the issues we struggled with is how you deal with this in custom scenarios where players mutually agree beforehand to build spellbooks with an alternate number of spell points.  If players decide to play by a 'house rule' and use, say, 125% of the prescribed spell points, then each mage would have 150 spell points to spend.  However, if they have different totals, the scaling has changed, and mages that naturally have more or fewer spell points will receive more or less additional spells, respectively.  If players decide to use a flat spell point modification, such as +20 spells for each mage, it still isn't entirely fair because going from 80 points to 100 points is of greater benefit than growing from 140 to 160.  This last issue also presents itself in our ideas for 'campaign modes', where a mage can advance and improve over the course of a campaign (perhaps lasting a few weeks), and acquire bonus spell points to add to their pool.

These issues are minor though and not part of the core game.  I would definitely expect to see mages with a different number of spell points in the future - though it is unlikely to deviate far from 120 since this value has been fine-tuned over years of playtesting.

On a side note, Klaxas is right about the "Arch-Mages".  These are being planned for future expansions that allow unconventional arena scenarios that support 2v1 or 3v1 play.  Though I am unable to say at this time how far down the road to expect something such as this.

Hekireky:
That sounds really great, I am really surprised how well you prepared this game, I have a hunch that this could become a really popular board/card game, but on the other hand, I don't care whether it is going to be popular or not, because all I want from games like these is to see it grow and become something complex and really fun.

Staying to the topic, I thought about one thing. The idea of a spellbook was already a great thing and I am happy you took it to its living, but once you mentioned an arch-mage and 2vs1/3vs1 battles, I thought: " What spell book will arch-mage use?", so since he is going to be more powerful it would be more reasonable for him to have a more powerful spellbook, for example, he could have more slots in it, OR have like one frame per page and in those frames would be framed one card, that would be really powerful, so it would look like this: you open up your spellbook and you only see one spell per page (like 4 pages would have that many looks) and those spells would have impact on you, because you would think: "Ahh my most malevolent spell waiting for me in his page, I shall use to wipe-out all those who dare to rise a hand a against me" or something :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version