May 05, 2024, 05:35:34 PM

Author Topic: Help with finishing FM build  (Read 16702 times)

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finishing FM build
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
He also played i think 4 suppression cloaks.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »
We are getting pretty off topic.

chiller087

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »
Is it generally necessary to run 2x of your most important enchantments? 

So far I've been running 2x Bear Strength, 2x Mongoose Agility, and 2x Falcon Precision.

Also, how would a FM deal with Purge Magic?  Try to sniff it out and hope to counter with Jinx?

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »
Jinx doesn't really solve the problem of Purge Magic since they get their mana back and they can just cast it next round. It also doesn't do anything about Destroy Magic. Enchanter's Wardstone makes Purge Magic and Destroy Magic a lot less efficient. Nullify kind of helps, but it's easy to probe for a Nullify before playing Purge Magic and it does nothing against Destroy Magic. If you have multiple creatures, you can use Enchantment Transfusion.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

chiller087

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
So then does it make sense to run 2x Bear Strength, 2x Cheetah Speed, 2x Mongoose Agility, 2x Lion Savagery, and 2x Akiro's Favor, since I'm heavily relying on these and I can't prevent the Purge?

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 10:08:13 PM »
Stuff I would take out:

-Wall of Thorns
-Temple of the Dawnbreaker
-Regrowth
-Brace Yourself
-Defense Ring
-Decoy
-Reflex Boots
-Wand of Healing
-Sunfire Amulet
-Armor Ward

This would free up 47 points.  I'll explain the choices:

WoT; Good opponents play armor.  I understand people love the Force Push + WoT gimmick, but the moment your opponent plays armor, it's bad.  And pretty much all books have some kind of armor and Eagleclaw boots.

Temple, Defense Ring, Reflex Boots; With two very efficient ways to counter Defenses in Falcon Precision and Morning Star, among other cards like Tanglevine and those that inflict dazes, spending mana on improving your innate defense isn't worth it.  Think of her defense as a tax on her opponent she gets every game; your opponent pretty much has to answer it in some way while you can spend mana on things that actually help you deal more damage.

Regrowth, Wand of Healing, Sunfire Amulet; You should be more concerned about maintaining a high dice count rather than playing these.  Most of the time, if Vampirism can't give you the sustain you need to keep applying pressure, you're in serious trouble.

Decoy; Honestly, I've never seen a reason to include this card.

Armor Ward; Given that Galvitar has Cantrip, I'm not sure why you'd need this.  I think you'd prefer another Nullify.  You'll find that players are usually ok with paying extra to destroy powerful equipment like Galvitar, and Nullify can prevent cards that counter Galvitar hard, like Agony. 

I would suggest anything that can add to your actions, particularly Thoughtspores.  You shouldn't lean on them too much, but having one or two around helps a lot.  Goblin Builder is good here too, and lets you get out your conjurations while playing your enchants, and can take a couple hits guarding or removing guards before it's gone.  It can also cast Deathlock, which is my next suggestion; you'll want some ways to heal against mages that are also aggressive, but Deathlock is something defensive, late-game oriented mages can't ignore and have to destroy through attacking.  You'll probably also want a Poisoned Blood as a one-sided option against aggressive mage-centric builds so you can win the healing war.  Try the I. Stalker; though people complain about the FM's access to creatures, I very rarely see anyone play her signature creature, if any creatures at all. 

That's all I got for now.  The best advice is just to playtest and not be afraid to end a game in which your strategy just isn't working out and try something else.  This also helps you not get bogged down by losing, since it's no secret that Mage Wars can be a long game.  Even tournament Mage Wars lasts a while (1 hr 15-30mins) and they expect you to know your deck pretty well and play quickly at that point. 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »
So then does it make sense to run 2x Bear Strength, 2x Cheetah Speed, 2x Mongoose Agility, 2x Lion Savagery, and 2x Akiro's Favor, since I'm heavily relying on these and I can't prevent the Purge?

I would say that's a good idea.  I'm not sure about 2 Cheetah Speed, I would include 1 and then go from there, but 2 each of the others for sure. 

chiller087

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »
Stuff I would take out:

-Wall of Thorns
-Temple of the Dawnbreaker
-Regrowth
-Brace Yourself
-Defense Ring
-Decoy
-Reflex Boots
-Wand of Healing
-Sunfire Amulet
-Armor Ward

Funny, I took out exactly all those cards tonight right before I saw your post, except for WoT.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
I would caution the removal of Wand of Healing. It can remove conditions and that can be a huge boon to the Forcemaster. Just a thought.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
The forcemaster had the tightest restriction on actions of any mage, you are attacking almost every round and often need to use force pull which leaves you with Battleforge and very few versital actions. And if healing is very action intensive to use.

Every condition that can affect your made can be felt with by another card more action effectively. Corrode removed by deploying new armor or disarming your chest piece. Poison can be purged. Daze can be mitigated by akiro's favor. Burns can be washed off with geyser. Stuck can be teleported out of. Besides deflect deters most spells that cause conditions anyway.

Tl,dr: Use purify not wand of healing.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »
Most of the time I only really include Wand of Healing because removing Sleep in that way doesn't cause a daze or damage, and it provides a healing option that could be used later on.

The wand is better if someone is afflicting different types of conditions, but that's not usually the case.