May 02, 2024, 12:10:32 AM

Author Topic: Capture the Flag - Variant Game Scenario  (Read 4562 times)

TheDOMINATOR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Capture the Flag - Variant Game Scenario
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
Hello, everyone. Let me preface this topic by saying that I love this game; my girlfriend and I play it regularly, nearly every week, and have for quite a few months now. We're pumped about the upcoming DvN expansion pack.

Recently, I had this idea: what if there was another objective in the game other than destroying the enemy mage? What if there was another way to win? The thought was inspired by reminiscing about the old customizable board game HeroScape I used to play, with its many various ways to play and scenarios to choose from. I used to play HeroScape capture-the-flag style all the time and I loved it, and it dawned on me that this might be an interesting way to play Mage Wars too.

My thoughts right now are that this would be one-on-one, two full game boards put together side by side to make one massive arena. One mage would start at one end and the other mage at the other end (long ways on the board). In the first planning phase, each player would choose a flag represented by a card agreed upon, one that you don't normally use anyway (my girlfriend and I almost never use Mana Flowers; we're much bigger fans of the crystals), and you would also each pick two other additional cards, enchantments, at this time and the two players would place these three cards near their starting point, face down, in any of the six zones closest to them. This way, your opponent has an idea of where your flag is but doesn't know for sure - it'll be a fun little guessing game for later. These three cards, the "flag" and the other two cards (be they Hellfire Traps or Sacred Grounds or whatever), would not go against your spell point total - they would be "free cards" that each player is entitled to. And the objective, obviously, would be to capture the flag with a creature and bring it back to the player's respective starting zone and they win the game, or if you kill the opposing mage you win the game as well.

Now, we haven't fleshed out the rules yet (we haven't even tested this yet), but that's partly why I'm posting this on the forum. We're sort of looking for suggestions and feedback. I'm thinking that only Legendary creatures and the mages themselves have the ability to "capture" the flag, and if a creature that holds the flag is destroyed, the flag teleports back into the zone it started in. I'm also considering giving the flags the magical property of granting their controlling mage +30 spell points during spell book creation. 120 spell points just doesn't seem like quite enough for this type of game. I'm also considering giving the flag the trait "Heavy" I created, which makes the flag carrier Slow and causes Flying creatures to lose the Flying trait.

What do you think? Thoughts? Ideas? Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. We really can't wait to try this out. It sounds cool in theory anyway. Thank you.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Capture the Flag - Variant Game Scenario
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:46:04 AM »
You read my mind. I was just thinking about this idea for the past couple of days. I can imagine multiple ways this format could work.

Did you read my new Emperor-ish variant format, "Emblems"? It's similar, but not quite the same. If you haven't you should read it. It might give you some ideas, although I admit there are some significant differences between the two formats.

However, I'm thinking that if you're using such a big board you could make it more like the outdoor version of capture the flag, rather than the gymnasium version. Rather than having just two bluff cards, each player should have seven. Then they could be picked up by either friend or foe, and moved to another location, then dropped. Now there are many possible hiding places for the flag, and your opponent will have to actually LOOK for them. I'm thinking it should be a quick action to pick it up, and another quick action to reveal. No slow trait. I'm thinking if you kill the enemy mage, that should just make it easier to get their flag.

As for which creatures can pick up the flag card or the blank cards, I think it should be any creature. If you restricted it to legendary or unique creatures, then people would use a ton of spellbook points to include multiples of multiple legendaries and uniques. 30 wouldn't be enough extra book points for that. Maybe 50, 60, or 70 extra points? But I don't think that's worth it, it's too restrictive on spellbook building, and playstyles that don't want to go unique/legendary heavy will suffer. I think its best to stay at 120 book points. I'm thinking if a creature holding a flag or blank is destroyed, the flag or blank should just be dropped where its at, not teleported back to the starting position.

If you want a gymnasium-style capture the flag format, the teleport rule would be a good idea for the blank cards. Every time one of the two blank cards is revealed, it's moved back to the starting zones and then both they and the Flag card are shuffled and each one is placed back in one of your starting zones (you get to choose). This version of the format would probably favor turtle, swarm, and zone control strategies. It still sounds quite fun though.

I'm really excited about this format too! Have fun playtesting it!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

TheDOMINATOR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:09:07 PM »
Hello, Imaginator. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hadn't read your thread prior to posting mine, but I looked at it earlier today and I think it's a pretty interesting idea.

I like a lot of your suggestions. I agree that any creature should be able to capture the flag, not just legendary creatures. I also agree that the flag and two "bluff" cards is probably too few, but I feel that seven might be too excessive; I feel like your opponent should have a slightly better idea of where you flag is so that winning the game is less dependent on luck. I think my girlfriend and I will play test with the flag plus four bluff cards. Agreed also that giving each person 30 additional spell points for the match might be too much, but I still feel that 120 would be too restrictive for this type of match, so we'll play test with the 120 point max +20 extra and go from there.

I think that entering the zone with one of the face-down bluffs or flag should automatically trigger it to turn face-up, but you're required to spend a quick action to capture the flag. I like that suggestion. I stand by my thought in giving the flag the "Heavy" trait though; I find it very thematic, and it would be interesting to see how the mechanic works in the game.

So, here are the rules so far, a little more fleshed out:

To play Mage Wars: Capture the Flag
-Two game boards are put together long-ways to make one massive arena. Each mage starts spell book creation with their original 120 point limitation plus an additional 20 points.
-Both players choose five cards each that do not count against your spell point total: a flag (a spell mutually agreed upon that doesn't see much use anyway) and four "bluff cards," the only requirement for these being that they must be able to target a zone. These cards are to be placed in any zone of your choosing within your half of the mega-arena.
-The flag is not considered an object, creature, or any type of spell and does not have a level for all purposes in the game. And it possess the following three traits:
--Heavy. Any creature that holds Flag acquires the Slow trait and cannot gain the Fast trait or normal speed. Flying creatures lose the Flying trait while in possession of Flag.
--Mysterious Immunity. Friendly creatures can never pick up Flag. Spells such as incantations or enchantments cannot target Flag in any way from any source.
--Self Preservation. (This was my girlfriend's idea earlier today.) If a creature who is carrying Flag is destroyed, the owner of Flag may choose to teleport Flag up to 3 zones away immediately as a free action.
-You win the game by capturing the opponent's flag and returning it to your mage's original starting zone.

Regarding the flag's last trait, I do agree with Imaginator that the flag shouldn't automatically teleport back to its original starting zone, as that would make the game way too tedious and long and dependent on having a TON of creatures. But I don't necessarily think it should drop where the creature who was holding it is destroyed either. I think allowing the flag's owner to teleport it up to three zones away provides just enough flexibility and buys the owner just enough time to recover if they play smart. If the flag didn't teleport at all, say  the opponent had gotten it within one or two zones away from their starting zone - you'd be screwed anyway.

One last note, I don't think you should be able to pick up your own flag with a friendly creature because a lot of unfair scenarios could come into play. What if I killed my opponent's Grizzly or Angel or whatever who had just captured the flag and I quickly pick it up with the Lord of Fire buffed with Vampirism, Bear Strength, and some Bull Endurance, and simply decided to just hang onto it with him and keep moving around the board with it? That wouldn't exactly be fair, or much fun really I don't think.

Anyone else have anymore feedback out there?  :) Can't wait to try this out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:18:58 PM by TheDOMINATOR »

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:01:56 AM »
You should add to the flag trait that if a creature holding the flag get teleported, the flag stay where it is.