May 07, 2024, 07:08:46 PM

Author Topic: Upkeep - who pays?  (Read 6168 times)

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Upkeep - who pays?
« on: February 10, 2014, 05:16:08 AM »
Good morning guys,

brand new member to these forums - half a dozen of my friends and I have just gotten into Mage Wars (ie since the new year) but already a couple of us have all the expansions plus extra card decks.  Fantastic fun - loving the game.

Anyway, the question is - who pays upkeep on certain spells?  Specifically a couple of the guys were playing and one of them had "Essence Drain" on an ememy creature, AND "Force Hold" on a second enemy creature - and was making Darren (his opponent) pay 5 mana per turn as upkeep.

Now my thoughts are that Darren should have been paying the 2 for essence drain, but that it should have been the originator (Jed) who paid the +3 upkeep to keep Darren's big beastie tied up.

I know this is going to seem all rather "Noddy" to you guys, but we are ALL complete newbies here - a case of the blind leading the blind!  But we are all loving the game, and hope to get a goodly few of our regular club into it - and with 56 paid up members in the club, I am hopefull!

Cheers guys, and thanks in advance.

Dave I

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: Upkeep - who pays?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »
If a spell has an upkeep trait, like mind control, the controller of that spells pays the upkeep.

If a spell gives a creature gains the upkeep + X trait then the controller of that creature has to pay the mana.

Whirling Spirit has an upkeep so whomever controls it has to pay it.

Essence drain gives a creature the upkeep trait so the owner of the creature has to pay the upkeep.

Now my thoughts are that Darren should have been paying the 2 for essence drain, but that it should have been the originator (Jed) who paid the +3 upkeep to keep Darren's big beastie tied up.

Yes that is correct, Jed gave the creature an upkeep but still has to pay the upkeep on his force hold

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
Kharhaz is right. And you should have posted this in Rule Discussion forum.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
This has been asked and answered before. Next time use the handy search tool on the top right.

PS: Moving to rules.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
Good evening guys.  Thanks for the replies - nice to know that we're working through the mechanisms correctly.

Apologies for not using the search thing, our putting the question in the correct area.  This stuff is all rather new to me, and it was my first posting onto the forum - and, in my defence, I would point out that I'm probably somewhat older than your usual bods who frequent these forums - I've been happily retired for nearly 4 years, and am just enjoying myself with lots of new hobbies and holidays.  So all this IT malarky isn't quite my thing - but I will try harder.

Oh yes - and it is great fun when I manage to beat the "youngsters" down at the club!

Keep up the good work - loving the game.  Playing most of tomorrow and all day Wednesday.

Cheers.

Dave I

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »
Good evening guys.  Thanks for the replies - nice to know that we're working through the mechanisms correctly.

Apologies for not using the search thing, our putting the question in the correct area.  This stuff is all rather new to me, and it was my first posting onto the forum - and, in my defence, I would point out that I'm probably somewhat older than your usual bods who frequent these forums - I've been happily retired for nearly 4 years, and am just enjoying myself with lots of new hobbies and holidays.  So all this IT malarky isn't quite my thing - but I will try harder.

Oh yes - and it is great fun when I manage to beat the "youngsters" down at the club!

Keep up the good work - loving the game.  Playing most of tomorrow and all day Wednesday.

Cheers.

Dave I

No problem just letting you know. Trying to keep things in order as more and more join us.  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage