May 07, 2024, 10:04:09 PM

Author Topic: Fliers get charge bonus in same zone  (Read 8218 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Fliers get charge bonus in same zone
« on: February 01, 2014, 04:28:01 AM »
Based on the same rationale of how a flying archer can ranged attack into its own zone, I'd like to see a flying unicorn get the charge bonus against targets in the same zone. If this rule already exists, I'd appreciate a reference.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Fliers get charge bonus in same zone
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 08:34:29 AM »
It is an interesting idea, but currently does not occur. Charge requires the creature to move into a zone.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
It is an interesting idea, but currently does not occur. Charge requires the creature to move into a zone.

Correct currently charge is based off taking a move action for balance reasons.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 04:19:01 PM »
if you want a thematic explanation, flying creatures aren't heavy enough for charging the enemy to increase their melee damage output. How do you think angels fly? Magic? And what does the magic do to make their flying possible? Why, it lowers the force of gravity on them of course! And if you argue that the force of their charging attack would be equal to their mass x their acceleration, and not their weight x acceleration, I would then say that they're lowering their weight and increasing their inertial mass, and therefore lowering their acceleration. So they would have so much inertial mass that charging would hit really hard--if they could actually hit at all while charging that is. Their great inertial mass makes it much harder for them to move normally. They use the light of their holy spirits to command their wings to carry them, and their light is so great that it's much more likely to move them longer distances rather shorter ones. Hence why they have no problem moving between zones while flying but can't increase their melee attack by charging from the air. They would have to descend to the ground and maybe retract their wings first, like when an airplane has to go down a runway when landing because of how fast it's going.

And if you tell me that such a process of flying using the light of one's holy spirit requires infinite energy, well, they ARE quite holy. The light of their holy spirits are pure and infinite. Their souls generate that infinite energy, and since energy in Etheria doesn't always need to stay in the form of quantum packets, they can fold that infinite energy into a fractal that fills a finite amount of space, such as their bodies.

Of course, dark mages sometimes have a similar process. The fear, hatred, and evil in their souls are, while not always infinite, they are very big, but don't necessarily have to be in quantum packets. Therefore, they can be folded into a fractal to fill a finite space, like a phylactery.

In summary, the reason (IMO) that fliers can't charge into their zone is because flying is, at least partially, an inherently magical ability that uses the flier's own brave and unbounded will to keep them aloft, and that brave and unbounded will represents a large amount of energy that increases their inertial mass. decreases their weight, and allows them to literally defy gravity.

If you think that this explanation is unnecessarily complicated, now you know a very good reason for why people who live in a magical world usually handwave unexplained aspects of magical phenomenon just by saying "It's magic!" Magical Mechanics are extremely complicated and difficult to study, as any sortilegian wizard would tell you.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:25:24 AM »
Though, a "swoop +X" feature could be a neat substitute for fliers.

Kind of a backwards version of charge exclusive to fliers- "creature gains the X bonus to melee attacks made when attacking a non flying creature in his zone.  A Creature only gains the swoop bonus if it did not move prior to the attack"

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:51:55 AM »
Birds aren't magic and they fly though. I can easily see the arena ceiling being low enough they couldn't get a proper height for a true dive bomb though.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 03:11:15 AM »
Birds aren't magic and they fly though. I can easily see the arena ceiling being low enough they couldn't get a proper height for a true dive bomb though.

Going by the cover art on the rulebook, the arena is an open top colosseum type thing.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:18:47 AM »
Well true. Though the cover art also has a griffin on it and I'd like a griffin now please :) Or a dragon.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Fliers get charge bonus in same zone
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:53 AM »

Who says birds aren't magical? They have WINGS. Angels also have wings. If there is anything remotely resembling evolution in Etheria, I would say this is not a coincidence. If Angels got their wings first, I would say that certain kinds of creatures who came into contact with them gained the ability from the Angels.

If birds got their wings first, I would say the angels just copied them.

If they got their wings at the same time, then I suppose it could be pure coincidence.

Saying that their wings keep them aloft through mere the mere thrust of flapping them is only one way to look at the phenomenon of flying. In Etheria. That theory does not work in the majority of cases. The Eaglewings enchantment grants living creatures wings that allow them to fly regardless of their weight, and we have already seen many creatures with innate flying that are not light enough to fly on the thrust of their flapping alone.

I don't think it works to explain everything away by saying "It's just magic," since the sorteligian wizards wouldn't have any research published otherwise.

If the flying ability reduces or removes gravity's hold on a creature, rather than allowing them more power to fight against it, that would be a good explanation for why charging doesn't work for attacking a creature in your zone if you have flying. With an extremely low weight and gravitational acceleration, the charge ability would not increase their damage output when going down.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:12:36 AM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 12:55:17 PM »

Who says birds aren't magical? They have WINGS. Angels also have wings. If there is anything remotely resembling evolution in Etheria, I would say this is not a coincidence. If Angels got their wings first, I would say that certain kinds of creatures who came into contact with them gained the ability from the Angels.

If birds got their wings first, I would say the angels just copied them.

If they got their wings at the same time, then I suppose it could be pure coincidence.

Saying that their wings keep them aloft through mere the mere thrust of flapping them is only one way to look at the phenomenon of flying. In Etheria. That theory does not work in the majority of cases. The Eaglewings enchantment grants living creatures wings that allow them to fly regardless of their weight, and we have already seen many creatures with innate flying that are not light enough to fly on the thrust of their flapping alone.

I don't think it works to explain everything away by saying "It's just magic," since the sorteligian wizards wouldn't have any research published otherwise.

If the flying ability reduces or removes gravity's hold on a creature, rather than allowing them more power to fight against it, that would be a good explanation for why charging doesn't work for attacking a creature in your zone if you have flying. With an extremely low weight and gravitational acceleration, the charge ability would not increase their damage output when going down.

Birds aren't magical, they pooh on my car too much to be magical....though some of them ARE magically delicious when fried!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 06:02:57 AM »
Based on the same rationale of how a flying archer can ranged attack into its own zone, I'd like to see a flying unicorn get the charge bonus against targets in the same zone. If this rule already exists, I'd appreciate a reference.

I suppose that you could make your flying unicorn fast also... move it out of the zone and then back in and attack....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess