May 10, 2024, 06:46:03 AM

Author Topic: Ok so lets try making a wizard after all.  (Read 5868 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Ok so lets try making a wizard after all.
« on: February 04, 2014, 02:17:36 AM »
Well I finally got my Wizard cards back from a guy who'd "borrowed" them and I figured "Hey it's 3am lets make a Earth Wizard." What else am I gonna do bored at work eh? Anyway here we go:

Attack:

Hail of Stone(2)
Hurl Boulder(4)

Conjuration:

Gate to Voltari
Mana Crystal(2)
Mana Siphon
Mordoks Obelisk
Quicksand(2)
Wall of Steel(3)
Wizards Tower

Creature:

Decouring Jelly(2)
Gargoyle Sentry(2)
Huginn Raven Familiar
Iron Golem(3)

Enchantment:

Divine Protection
Essence Drain(2)
Harmonize(2)
Nullify(2)
Reverse Attack
Reverse Magic(2)
Rhino Hide
Teleport Trap(2)
Turn to Stone

Equipment:

Dragonscale Haulberk
Eagle Claw Boots
Elemental Wand
Mage Wand
Regrowth Belt
Supression Cloak

Incantation:

Earthquake(2)
Dispel(6)
Dissolve(2)
Seeking Dispel(2)
Teleport(3)

This is pretty basic I figure. You hide behind your army of golem and jelly teleporting enemies to them so you can beat them down. Build walls so they can't escape that easy. When in doubt throw rocks at them. It capitalizes on what I hear wizards are good at: Mana Superiority, Armor, and tempo control I believe. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ok so lets try making a wizard after all.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:59:12 AM »
In a book like yours, I would definitely try to include the 4th Teleport and the 2nd Mage wand. Teleport is very needed for your slow creatures to attack. Maybe you could cut the Reverse attack for those.

I prefer using Wizard's tower as a toolbox spell, including many 1-of level 1 attack spells: Acid ball for corrode, Surging wave for daze (anti guard/defense tech), Fire blast for druid and Jet stream for push (at least). But it's just my preference. You could drop two boulders (you just need one for the tower and another one for an eventual QC) and one hail of stones for three of these spells if you are tempted to try the toolbox route.

Earthquake is a spell I haven't found that useful. But go ahead if it works for you, of course!

Finally, I would add a third Jelly instead of one Golem just to make the most out of your spawnpoint. Gorgon archer has seen better days where Non-living creatures were quite uncommon, but she's still nuts against hyper aggressive builds (Adramelech-Warlock rush). And she has a ranged attack, which is always very handy.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:04:18 AM »
I like your idea about the toolbox Wizard Tower. I'll try that out. Good advice thanks.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:01:09 AM »
In my humble opinion, you have to decide if you wish a mana-denial book or not.

I see Mordok Obelisk, Mana Siphon, Essence Drain... along with other spells. I really don't know if a mix like this could work... i'd try to focus more on the goal of the book.

Just my 2 cents.  :)

CYA,
G.

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:43:22 PM »
This is the earth wizard book I put together along with some explanations on my choices. The concept of this mage was pretty much the same, but with less defense, and more teleport. I also skimped on all the mana control stuff for more offense.

Attacks : Hurl Boulder x4
               Hail of Stones x2

Pretty standard I guess. Nothing to see here

Conjurations : Gate to Voltari x1
                       Mana Crystal x2
                       Mordok's Obelisk x1 (didn't want this in here really but against swarm, its a life saver)
                       Wizard Tower x1
                       Wall of Steel x2
                       Quicksand x2

Wizard Tower just has to come with my Wizard. I can't play without it, and the teleport traps help keep people away from it if need be.

Creatures : Huginn x1 (mi Familiar)
                   Gargoyle Sentry x2
                   Devouring Jelly x2
                   Iron Golem x4
                   Earth Elemental x1 (because...... EARTH)

Only changes I would make here would be more Jellies but I think a flying game is important to have, and for that the gargoyle serves nicely. Also I was just under the assumption that an earth Wizard doesn't come to any party without 4 golems. The elemental was just a theme choice really and can be taken out for other spells, or he can also produce some pretty big shock value if he manages to come sundering out.

Enchantments : Teleport Trap x5
                         Turn to Stone x1
                         Rhino Hide x1
                         Harmonize x2
                         Nullify x4
                         Regrowth x1

Teleport Trap is so annoying. It is gonna serve you in this deck by keeping things away from your mage, tower, gate, or anything else you just dont want people getting next to. Also since you won't be running with much armor, it's gonna keep things from coming into your face. Turn to Stone was another theme choice to me. I kinda felt at 3 spell points, I could do better, but it does come in handy in a pinch so its a one-of. I also chose 4 nullify for protection of your wands, and what precious equipment you do have. The Regrowth is optional, but I prefer to have one. The Rhino Hide serves as the mage armor here.

Equipment : Elemental Wand x1
                    Mages Wand x2
                    Suppression Cloak
                    Eagleclaw Boots x1
                    Regrowth Belt x1
                    Moonglow Amulet x1

I cut the armor here because I plan to not be in harms way if I can help it, and I don't like spending turns equipping myself if I can help it. I'd rather have the Rhino Hide face down making people think its a nullify until I absolutely need the armor. Then reveal it. The elemental wand is optional, and I wouldn't really equip either wand without a nullify to protect yourself with as they will surely draw a Dissolve from your opponent most likely. I took the Suppression Cloak over the elemental one just because if I had the option of attacking a mage in one or the other, I would despise Suppression Cloak more. Just me personally. The amulet was to help me get to that 13 channeling "golem every turn" sweet spot.

Incantations : Earthquake x2
                       Dissolve x2
                       Dispel x4
                       Teleport x4
                       Battle Fury x1
                       Evade x1
                       Seeking Dispel x2
                       Piercing Strike x1

Pretty basic stuff here as well. I threw a couple of utilities in here for Huginn as well in case I need to be elusive, or sneak an extra attack in. Also for high armor targets, I added one piercing strike.

That's it. There are a lot of cards I wanted to use but sticking with my goal, and in some cases the theme of the book, I opted out on cards like Banish, Reverse Attack, Reverse Magic, Drain Essence, Mana Syphon, and those sort of things. I wanted to be as slippery as possible with my spells until I could start popping out golem babies, protect my equipment, and use my Wizards Tower for support in doing that.

I'm no great MW player or anything so don't take this as gospel on what the perfect earth Wizard should look like. This was just my attempt at what I knew the Wizard could do, and how Earth could make that better. I'm open to any criticism of course.

I hope this either helps you create a better spellbook, or it confuses the hell out of you. Either way, I have made you question something :)

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 02:51:14 AM »
Your book seems really good. Some advices:

ATTACKS:
Drop Hail of Stones. You need different types of attacks for your Wiz Tower. At least 1 Acid ball and 1 Surging Wave (UNAVOIDABLE!!!)

CONJURATIONS:
Personally, i don't like walls...in almost every book!  ;)   I'd try to put in the 2nd tower.

CREATURES
For me Jellies > Golems. Never played Earth Elemental, so really dunno.

ENCHANTMENTS
In your build, i'd try Spiked Pit!

EQUIPMENT
No armor? You could be teleported in a dangerous zone and cut to half life... your choice btw.  :)

INCANTATIONS
OK

Try this book and tell us how's going!

CYA,
G.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:02:27 AM »
Ok so I think I'm gonna drop those Hail of Stones and put in more diversity of attack. Acid Ball, Surging Wave, and Flame Blast to be exact.

Keeping the walls, they're useful.

Might try a spiked pit here and there.

Keeping my creatures they way they are though I may add a Gorgon Archer if I get annoyed with my slow moving creatures. Those creatures who fail to live up to expectations will be executed and fed to the remaining creatures as an object lesson.....

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:08:30 AM »
Thanks Gizzu for your insight, and also my apologies to you grizzly. I don't want to seem like I was "jacking" your thread by posting my own book here. In retrospect, I feel like I should have started my own thread maybe.

I agree on the second Tower. It sure is a sad feeling to watch it crumble. Also, I wasn't crazy about Hail of Stones personally, just thought it was a good filler attack for an entire zone, and its the only other earth attack. The alternatives you offered are much better for the tower. Thanks for bringing me out of the theme to speak a little sense to me.

Earth Elemental is almost like having a body shield the size of another mage. His downfall is having no quick attack which pretty much restricts him to tower guard duty, and even then he's just guarding to soak a hit with no counterstrike option. He's basically just gonna smash on anything that happens to be standing in his zone, and 20 mana for something most people will just ignore may seem like a bad deal to be sure.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 06:27:52 AM »
Earth Elemental is a commitement but it has its utility. It is a fantastic guard/flyer remover with its 50% aoe slam. It is also good against swarm. See it as a mobile Hail of Stone. It also require a minimum of 18 dices to take it down.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »
Heh.  Sorry Wildhorn but I'm going to have to completely disagree about Earth Elemental.  It's a terrible guard (no Quick Attacks), isn't good at removing flyers (its melee attack does not have Reach), its AoE affects friendlies, and it's mobile at all with Slow and Unmovable.  It is also a 5 spellbook cost and 20 mana investment, which is (in my opinion) far too much to commit to an extremely niche creature that will rarely see useful play.  It does have a ton of Life though!

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
Heh.  Sorry Wildhorn but I'm going to have to completely disagree about Earth Elemental.  It's a terrible guard (no Quick Attacks), isn't good at removing flyers (its melee attack does not have Reach), its AoE affects friendlies, and it's mobile at all with Slow and Unmovable.  It is also a 5 spellbook cost and 20 mana investment, which is (in my opinion) far too much to commit to an extremely niche creature that will rarely see useful play.  It does have a ton of Life though!

I never said it was a good guard. This thing is a massive attack ball of rock.

Its zone attack is ranged, aka can hit flyers. With 50% chance to slam (which remove flying and guards) it is indeed a good flyer/guard remover. You indeed need to teleport him, just like an iron golem.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
Oh oh, ha!  I read your post as "fantastic flyer remover or guard", not "fantastic guard remover or flyer remover".  I still think it's far too expensive for what it can do, both in spellbook points and mana cost, but I agree it has a very small niche spot.  I just haven't been able to figure out a place for it yet.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »
It's totally cool Sylex, I got a little something from the replies to your book too.

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 06:05:41 AM »
Hi guys, i would like to have your comments on my view on the earth wizard , here's the build :

[mage]Wizard (Earth)[/mage]

[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]1 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1w02]2 x  Wall of Stone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]1 x  Wizard's Tower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j12]2 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]1 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]1 x  Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c18]1 x  Gorgon Archer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC03]1 x  Devouring Jelly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c21]2 x  Huginn, Raven Familiar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC09]2 x  Iron Golem[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNE03]2 x  Stumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e06]1 x  Circle of Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e17]1 x  Force Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e14]1 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE05]2 x  Spiked Pit[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]1 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e34]1 x  Reverse Attack[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]1 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q22]1 x  Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]2 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i04]4 x  Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i15]2 x  Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]4 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i18]1 x  Perfect Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]2 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i02]2 x  Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]1 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 121 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

there's 121 points, because SBB does not yet have the promo cards. So what i really have is a one hurl rock and one hurl boulder, and not two boulders...

What i tried to do here is to make a build with which i can pin down my opponent with spiked pit/stumble/tanglevine/knockdown and then afterwards bash him with my Golem.  I would like to do this by using teleport on my mage wand, and getting the opposing mage closer to my golem.  Huginn is in there to cast "charge" spells (4) on the golem or to pump him with battlefury.  Gorgon Archer gives me defense against creatures in the sky, or makes extra ranged attacks against the mage (pumped with hawkeye). I think the idea and the spells are ok here, but i find it not so easy to get the combo work.  I think it is important to know the order  in which you should build this up...

anyone's got tips or experience with this kind of build ? thanks in advance !
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid