May 17, 2024, 08:38:13 PM

Author Topic: what with two reverse attacks  (Read 2935 times)

Wouter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
what with two reverse attacks
« on: April 17, 2015, 03:24:45 AM »
If my mage (with a hidden reverse attack) attacks an enemy. And that enemy reveals a reverse attack, the attack is send back to me.
But since I have also a reverse attack, do I get to reveal it and send the attack back?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: what with two reverse attacks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:42:40 AM »
No, you do not. If you read the text of [mwcard=MW1E34]Reverse Attack[/mwcard] closely it says that you reveal it during the Avoid Attack Step and it only changes the target of the attack during the Roll Dice and Damage and Effects steps. Therefore, your mage will not become the target of the attack until after the Avoid Attack Step is over with, and will not get the opportunity to reveal their own Reverse Attack.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
The discussion/ruling over here suggests the timing window stays open long enough* for both [mwcard=MW1E34]Reverse Attack[/mwcard]s to trigger, but you generally wouldn't pay the 5 mana for the second Reverse Attack because the "attacker" is the new "defender."

• Creature A attacks Creature B.
  • Creature B's Reverse Attack is revealed and Creature B's controller pays 5 mana.  The attacker is still Creature A but the defender is now also Creature A.
  • Creature A's Reverse Attack is revealed, but since the attacker is Creature A, Creature A's controller chooses not to pay the 5 mana since it would result in Creature A attacking Creature A again.

* That, or since the first attack was reversed during the "avoid attack" step, there's a new "declare attack" step where the new defender is the attacker, so there's a new "avoid attack step" when the second Reverse Attack must be revealed.

*edit* was the text on Reverse Attack updated?  The online version specifies "who now becomes the target for the next two steps" implying the Reverse Attack doesn't produce a new attack (i.e. with new "declare attack" step, new "avoid attack step") - but I don't remember it saying that on my physical copy of the card.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:30:20 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
No, you do not. If you read the text of [mwcard=MW1E34]Reverse Attack[/mwcard] closely it says that you reveal it during the Avoid Attack Step and it only changes the target of the attack during the Roll Dice and Damage and Effects steps. Therefore, your mage will not become the target of the attack until after the Avoid Attack Step is over with, and will not get the opportunity to reveal their own Reverse Attack.

RA is a strange card indeed. As per the combat section of the rules:

"If the attack is avoided, skip to step 5: Additional Strikes."

However that does not happen with RA, but from a technical as written view makes RA not function at all unless the RA happens in Step 5 which would allow for a defense to be used. (first thought reaction without fact checking so ingest that with a grain o slat, special edition)

I think iNano might be right here with timing window, since you can reveal before proceeding to the next step but would still hit yourself as attacker never changes, only the target.