May 03, 2024, 12:14:14 PM

Author Topic: Wizard revealing elemental training  (Read 2912 times)

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wizard revealing elemental training
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »
Hi!

Is the wizard player supposed to reveal which elemental school he has chosen for his build? This would give his opponent some very important information about what to expect.

I want to apologize if this questioned was answered before, but I was unable to find anything related in the browser nor in the rulebook (probably I missed that part :D).
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard revealing elemental training
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03:53 AM »
No insight on this?
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:16:14 AM »
On OCTGN its revealed in chat because the wizards are named after their school ie. firewizard. And Octgn display the name of the card when played. Tbh i like that.

I realize that how OCTGN works should never dictate the rules of MW, but i must say i think its pretty fair that the opponent knows what school you are. Perhaps its because i find Wizard the most OP mage, that i dont think he needs additional strength in terms of a hidden/unknown spell school.
With every other mage (so far) the opponent will know what school he/her is specialized in prior to first preparation phase.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:17:39 AM »
I don't think it is addressed in the rules. IRL we declare what we are playing when we reveal. Sort of like Octgn, but have been doing it since our first game before Christmas last year.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:35:58 PM »
Wow, I never thought of that!

I think it might also add some flavor. After all, there's got to be an announcer in the Mage Wars Arena right? And the crowd will be more interested if they know a little bit about the mages fighting. Like this:

"In the western corner, a monster of a man with a heart of ash, burning with darkness, a nigh-undefeatable warlock said to be a demon himself, (WARLOCK'S NAME HERE)! And in the eastern corner we have a powerful forcemaster, the might of her mind has crushed all who stand before her in a nightmare of blood! (FORCEMASTER'S NAME HERE)!"

Also, I think something to keep in mind flavorwise is that at the beginning of the game, the mages don't necessarily look like they do on the cards. No armor, no cool-looking creatures or magical items. All they have is their spellbooks and the clothes on their backs. This means that without the announcer, neither of the mages know what type of mage the other is until they start casting spells. But in a game of mage wars, both the players know, and can start strategizing of how they're going to deal with the particular mage they're facing before that mage starts casting any spells.

I think that revealing training is important not just for gameplay, but to prevent a disconnect between gameplay and flavor.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.