May 15, 2024, 07:35:50 AM

Author Topic: Barbarian vs. Sorcerer  (Read 12181 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Barbarian vs. Sorcerer
« on: April 13, 2016, 10:03:26 AM »
Some dude at Boardgamegeek posted the following:

"As others have mentioned (including Aaron, who's the lead designer), Paladin vs Siren is coming soon, albeit it's already long overdue. And there have been rumours (from Bryan Pope) that beyond that we can expect to see an alt-Wizard vs alt-Forcemaster (similar to Conquest of Kumanjaro and Forged in Fire), followed by a Barbarian vs Sorcerer. And the next Battlegrounds expansion is rumoured to be an Archmage (hinted at in Domination; probably a one-vs-many format). And they plan to release more mage types for Academy in the future (e.g. Forcemaster, Warlord, Druid, Necromancer, Paladin, Siren, ...)."

Barbarian vs. Sorcerer sounds awesome!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Barbarian vs. Sorcerer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:19 AM »
We haven't locked down what the next two Mages will be for certain. Barbarian and Sorcerer are the two front runners, but we have 2 other Mages we've been looking at as well. So, right now Barbarian vs Sorcerer is a place holder, it could change, though I expect the set will have at least one of them.

And I've not been shy about how excited to work on the Barbarian I am.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 10:32:03 AM »
Damn that dude on BoardGameGeek spreading unsubstantiated rumours like that...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:07:55 PM »
Can you give a hint as to what the other 2 mages are?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:09:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure Bryan has mentioned them in some of his interviews.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure Bryan has mentioned them in some of his interviews.

The only thing I've seen "recently" was last Gen Con (e.g. August 2015) where this happened:

Quote from: Arcane Duels
Intangible0:
"Alright, so, last question: What are your future plans for Arcane Wonders.  Where do you expect to see yourself going from here?"

Bryan:
"Well, Mage Wars is a very good franchise for us, and we're expanding it in multiple ways, so we're very excited about that.  That is going to be more than half of our business - always.  We're very dedicated.  So we've got:
  • a role-playing game coming up.
  • we have additional mages.
  • we just finished the artwork for the Barbarian vs the Sorcerer; kind of a "Conan" type thing, a "Swords & Sorcerery" type thing.
  • we've got a dungeon crawl type game that set in with the Battlegrounds type universe where you can actually have like a little dungeon crawl, and build mages up from Academy level to Arena level and then beyond with new skills and abilities to become like Archmages.

Lots of great stuff..."

*edit*
Regarding future mages, the Illusionist and Shaman get mentioned here, but most of the talk (from Essen, for instance) is about the Barbarian and the Sorcerer.

Oh, and stuff about Archmage and Barbarian and other stuff gets lots of mention in this interview with Laddinfance.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:22:13 PM by iNano78 »

Jedah

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 02:20:53 AM »
insta buy take my money now!!!!!

i wants it!!!! my precious!!!!!!!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 02:44:01 AM »
If i remember right, in one episode of Mage Wars mondays, there was Vampire mage mentioned.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 02:46:29 AM »
and i'm sure i once wrote about an elementalist  :D  :D  :D

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 02:49:05 AM »
Alt-wizard vs alt-forcemaster... I kinda see 4 wizards in one so I would prefer alt-forcemaster vs alt-necro (vampire?) or vs alt-druid.

On the other hand I even more prefer not having alternatives to every mage but having more unique mages :D

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 03:24:13 AM »
my hope is that the new mages will be strategically open.
among the last ones, the druide, the necro and miss warlord are diffcult to bring in experiment.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 07:56:54 AM »
If i remember right, in one episode of Mage Wars mondays, there was Vampire mage mentioned.

Vampire Mage was mentioned at Essen in a link I provided above - but that's the only time I've seen it mentioned (vs many times the Barbarian vs Sorcerer has come up, including Bryan stating that the artwork is done; and the several times Aaron has mentioned that he's stoked to do a Shaman). And a Vampire might satisfy some of the cravings for a Sanguinancer  that have appeared around here. But I'm not convinced a Shaman is a good idea. How would a Shaman be significantly different from a Beastmaster or Druid. Seems to me it would share the same design space. If a totem-based and/or insect-based Nature Mage with level 1 training in Air (and/or Water) is the goal, why not just incorporate that into the alt-Druid?  Nobody said both Druids had to be Nature + Level 1 Water specifically, right?  Make the other Druid Level 1 Air instead and have it focused on Insects and totems that support its abilities (e.g. a new analog to Animal Kinship that cares about Insects and Plants) and "voila" - no need for a Shaman.  (Or just say that in Etheria, a Shaman is the term for a male Druid just like a Priest is a male Priestess, and that all "Druid only" spells are also "Shaman only" and vice versa... although that looks a bit messy).

Similarly, while a Vampire Mage might be interesting, something like that could be incorporated into the alt-Necromancer - although I'd personally prefer a mummy-based Egyptian/Cleopatra-themed alt-Necromancer myself.  Also, if you follow the OP stories, they include expanded maps showing an island in the (Mediterranean) sea called Luperta - which would be ideal for a microcosm of Werewolf/Vampire species and Mages. We haven't seen either a vampire nor lycanthrope since the core set ([mwcard=MW1C26]Necropian Vampiress[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1C17]Goran, Werewolf Pet[/mwcard]). Could be a Dark-based region that is independent of the Darkfenne and Arraxian Crown themes/stories - but would explain where the Warlock obtained his enslaved pet.
*edit* I lied.  Apparently the [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC02]Blood Demon[/mwcard] has the Vampire subtype...

Alt-wizard vs alt-forcemaster... I kinda see 4 wizards in one so I would prefer alt-forcemaster vs alt-necro (vampire?) or vs alt-druid.

On the other hand I even more prefer not having alternatives to every mage but having more unique mages :D

Think of the alt-version mages as booster packs for existing mages. I'm a big Forcemaster fan, but she hasn't seen much love in follow-up expansions. Sure, she and her Thoughtspores can benefit from attack spells (e.g. Acid Ball and Hurl Rock) and Cascading Force Push is OK, and Devouring Jelly is a good option for a "buddy", but it would be great to get some new spells made specifically with a Forcemaster in mind.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:21:31 AM by iNano78 »

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 06:08:24 PM »
Think of the alt-version mages as booster packs for existing mages. I'm a big Forcemaster fan, but she hasn't seen much love in follow-up expansions. Sure, she and her Thoughtspores can benefit from attack spells (e.g. Acid Ball and Hurl Rock) and Cascading Force Push is OK, and Devouring Jelly is a good option for a "buddy", but it would be great to get some new spells made specifically with a Forcemaster in mind.
I totally agree with you ob that! I love playing Forcemaster but there are not many cards to play with. I prefer giving her a buddy that is out of school. Spores are hard to keep alive, the stalker is outplayable and psyloks ... meh!

There are good cards for her that are like auto-includes for all books. Enchantments (block and reverse attack), attacks (force hammer) and incantations (sleep) are super, but they are very limited.
Can't wait for new toys

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 08:10:04 PM »
I am also curious why both mages need to play similarly or have the exact same stats besides special starting special abilities.  I would like to see huge changes from each specified class.  I would love to see a shapeshifting Druid.  If my Mage can basically turn into to a steel claw bear or into an elusive cat with dodge in a single turn or several turns that would be awesome!!! Please make this happen Arcane Wonders!
 :D
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 09:58:28 PM »
Shapeshifter would be very cool- Agreed!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung