May 11, 2024, 08:16:51 AM

Author Topic: Priestess due this month?  (Read 6891 times)

Crow

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Priestess due this month?
« on: April 12, 2016, 09:23:38 PM »
Did I read somewhere that the Priestess is scheduled for release this month (April 2016)?

If so, is this still true?

Is there another place that I'm supposed to post questions like this, or is the whole topic generally considered a no-no?  (If either case is true, I apologize).

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Priestess due this month?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:37:51 PM »
I would imagine when products get this close to the line for release, publishers really should often set a date for shelves. "Quarter 1-4" is general enough when speaking in far off development terms and understandable since development is a tricky mistress, but I must agree that it is rather irritating when now under an [alleged] month away from a still yet vague date, [or not].

• Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
A Canadian online gaming store has an estimated release date as May 27 for both the Priestess and Warlock Academy expansions, and the "Lost Grimoire volume 1" for Arena.  I'd take that date with a grain of salt; for instance, I could envision the release getting delayed a couple weeks for a more spectacular release at Origins.  Or it might arrive early and go on sale immediately (iirc, Domination came out ahead of the initial ETA). But in any case, we shouldn't be waiting much longer.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 02:54:35 AM »
I think that nice example here is MegaCon games and their game Recon. There si much that can go wrong or delay the game, that giving and exact date to customers/fans of a game is similar tu russian rullete with Shotgun :)

I hope i will be able to build my Avenging Priest with new academy cards before my next big event that is at the end of next month :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »
Seems it's been a while since the last spoiler (e.g. on the Facebook page, Father Geek, or here).  Would love to have a peek at some more upcoming cards for the Academy expansions - or perhaps from Lost Grimoire v1, which has had very little fanfare so far.

I imagine we won't hear much about Paladin vs Siren until we have the 2 new Academy mages + Grimoire in hand - aside from the little we've heard so far (like Deptonnes = "shark-men").

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:38:34 PM »
Seems it's been a while since the last spoiler (e.g. on the Facebook page, Father Geek, or here).  Would love to have a peek at some more upcoming cards for the Academy expansions - or perhaps from Lost Grimoire v1, which has had very little fanfare so far.

I imagine we won't hear much about Paladin vs Siren until we have the 2 new Academy mages + Grimoire in hand - aside from the little we've heard so far (like Deptonnes = "shark-men").

I was just thinking about this before you posted.  I'm doubtful that the expansions will be released this month.  Very quiet on AW side for actual release dates.  I wonder how other board game companies are able to put hard release dates and meet that date, but with AW, there's always ambiguity and delay. The way AW released Academy was ridiculous (the original release date turned out to be a partial release).
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 02:53:15 PM »
A Canadian online gaming store has an estimated release date as May 27 for both the Priestess and Warlock Academy expansions, and the "Lost Grimoire volume 1" for Arena.  I'd take that date with a grain of salt; for instance, I could envision the release getting delayed a couple weeks for a more spectacular release at Origins.  Or it might arrive early and go on sale immediately (iirc, Domination came out ahead of the initial ETA). But in any case, we shouldn't be waiting much longer.

Does this store still advertise May 27th, or has it changed?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:15:19 PM »

Does this store still advertise May 27th, or has it changed?

Still says May 27 - but that doesn't mean anything.  He's unlikely to change the date on the site unless (1) he here's something firm from his distributor stating a revised ETA or (2) the expansions are in stock ahead of that date.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Priestess due this month?
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:37:29 AM »

I was just thinking about this before you posted.  I'm doubtful that the expansions will be released this month.  Very quiet on AW side for actual release dates.  I wonder how other board game companies are able to put hard release dates and meet that date, but with AW, there's always ambiguity and delay. The way AW released Academy was ridiculous (the original release date turned out to be a partial release).

Because they have a very small staff (like 5 people or something), and they want to make the best quality product they can.

And it shows. They make the best quality product they can, and keep everyone waiting for a really long time. Those who stick with Mage Wars love the game, but I've noticed that much fewer people play it on OCTGN anymore. Used to be that you could find ten people playing it at once. Now you usually don't see more than 3 Mage Wars players online at a time.

I think they should make a super-late hard release date for things, and then if they finish a product early they can surprise us by releasing it sooner. Even if the actual date of release ends up the same either way, it looks better if they're ahead of schedule than behind.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:40:53 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »
You'll be seeing more about Priestess and Warlock very soon. I know that the last few weeks, the previews got spotty. My plate is about to become less full, and I want to show you all exactly what we've been working on. So I guess, there are more than just Priestess and Warlock previews coming.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »
You'll be seeing more about Priestess and Warlock very soon. I know that the last few weeks, the previews got spotty. My plate is about to become less full, and I want to show you all exactly what we've been working on. So I guess, there are more than just Priestess and Warlock previews coming.

So, stupid question- is the priestess vs. warlock a combined set or will they be separate sets? And are they being released together or at different times if they aren't a combined set? The reason I ask is that I pre-ordered two copies of the priestess expansion but have not seen anything with the Warlock.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »

So, stupid question- is the priestess vs. warlock a combined set or will they be separate sets? And are they being released together or at different times if they aren't a combined set? The reason I ask is that I pre-ordered two copies of the priestess expansion but have not seen anything with the Warlock.

They were going to be a combined set (and at one time were expected to be the mages in the first Academy core set), but they are now going to be two separate sets sold without spell books (e.g. cards and tokens only).  I heard that the Priestess was at the printer ahead of the Warlock, but they might hit retail shelves at the same time (e.g. catch up during logistics and distributing).

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »

Priestess and Warlock are two separate smaller packs. To illustrate I have a picture of one of the preview copies we just received of the Priestess.

And no, I don't know the release date right now, sorry.

leggybl0nde

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »
It is disappointing to have such ambiguity still regarding the release dates of the expansions. It would be better if AW were more forthcoming with information with the players about the status of the expansions and the goings on at Arcane Wonders. It seems like the players are initiating these conversations more often than the designers.  We want to be confident in the products and output of AW and that's best achieved by being more communicative with us.