May 06, 2024, 11:28:59 AM

Author Topic: Arenas with larger zones  (Read 3991 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Arenas with larger zones
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »
Many of us have had the experience of struggling to fit a large number of creatures or enchantments into a single zone, and often not quite succeeding. I think certain playstyles are more vulnerable to this than others (swarm, kill-zone, buddy, solo). Just about everyone on OCTGN puts enchants attached to their mage off to the side of the board with their equipment, even though this is technically illegal in official tournaments, simply because there often isn't enough room for it on the board.

Are there any plans to release arenas with larger zones? Even if there's not, it would still be nice for them to at least make them available for official organized play

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Arenas with larger zones
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
Just about everyone on OCTGN puts enchants attached to their mage off to the side of the board with their equipment, even though this is technically illegal in official tournaments

If this really is an official ruling it should be changed.
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »
You can easily make an arena with arbitrarily large zones by placing objects to mark the zone intersections. This is what I do, and it allows for a lot more space than using a board (and is more portable).

Plus you can adjust zone sizes mid game when needed.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »

You can easily make an arena with arbitrarily large zones by placing objects to mark the zone intersections. This is what I do, and it allows for a lot more space than using a board (and is more portable).

Plus you can adjust zone sizes mid game when needed.

I would do this, but I'm trying to attract new players to the game, and the game doesn't look as thematic or visually appealing without the arena board/mat. Furthermore, they don't use zone intersection cards in official organized play.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
I have these cards in OCTGN upon request and I have never seen anyone use them.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

lukard

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »
I was thinking about the same thing and decided to make my on board by printing each zone in a full letter page, gluing on corrugated plastic, and laminating its surface. In total, it has 24.5"x41" (the original has 24x32) and it looks very cool!

What I can say is that this board handle most of the cases, but sometimes the zone still too crowded. The original zone can technically accommodate 6 creatures, but in practical terms with 5 creatures it feels crowded already. With my board each zone can technically accommodate 8 creatures, but in practical terms with 7 creatures it feels crowded already.

To summarize, I made a larger board that handles most of the games I play. But sometimes we still find the zones too crowded.

I was wondering about doing a prototype where I would have a plain arena (without any zones printed on it) and adjust the zone areas moving some cord-bands around the board (kind of hard to explain without drawing).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:51:55 PM by lukard »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 05:49:37 PM »

I have these cards in OCTGN upon request and I have never seen anyone use them.....

That's because I'm the only one there who wants to. :(