May 10, 2024, 01:59:42 AM

Author Topic: Rally Cry Warlord  (Read 3230 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Rally Cry Warlord
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »
All right so I've "recovered" enough from this past weekend. A day watching The Defenders on Netflix is apparently very curative for con fatigue. Here is my Bloodwave Warlord book using some of the new cards from Academy: Warlord.

Equipment: 20pts
Harshforge Plate X2
Strategist Helm
Ivarium Halberd
Champion Guantlets
Tempered Faulds
General's Signet Ring
Veteran's Belt
Mage Wand
Commanders Cape
Morningstar
Horn of Gothos

Conjurations: 14pts
Barracks
Garrison Post
Mana Flower
Steep Hill
Battle Forge
Wall of Earth
Ballista

Creatures: 23pts
Goblin Slinger X2
Izimballa, Daughter of Badgers
Dwarf Panzergarde
Wychwood Ranger
Torgo, Pit Troll
Bloodcraig Minotaur
Orc Butcher X2

Enchantments: 25pts
Promotion X2
Ballad of Courage X2
Critical Strike X2
Regrowth
Fire At Will
Press the Attack
Dig In
Rhino Hide
Brace Yourself X2
Bear Strength
Nullify

Incantations: 25pts
Minor Heal
Focused Strike X3
Dissolve X2
Teleport
Dispel
Gear Up
Cure
Overextend
Purify
Sweeping Strike
Shift Enchantment

Attacks: 13pts
Hurl Rock X2
Hurl Boulder X2
Hail of Stones
Seismic Burst
Stalagmite

So I can already address a few questions. Yes I'm going with a Barracks build solely for action economy and yes I'm going to give the Horn of Gothos a chance. The Bloodwave isn't capable of benefiting from all of his own Battle Orders as much as in order to get the benefit from Release Volley he'll have to cast an attack spell from his hand instead of from a wand. While I'm cool with that I'd rather have the freedom to move around and not be tied to one spot to also benefit my range units and make no mistake I love the idea of buffing my range units when I'm not around. Right now this book does a lot of things well and I'll eventually decide what I want to focus on it doing extremely well. This is a rough draft, haven't played it yet. Looking for general thoughts as I plan to play it this week.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Rally Cry Warlord
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
I know minotaur + ballad of courage and/or critical strike is a good conjuration killing method. Thoughts on conquer? I have seen it used best with construction yard or as an early game play to knock spawnpoints and such out. Just wondering if you have considered it or like/dislike it.

And i know we've already discussed this but no battlefury :b
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »
I think over extend is the better choice if one is buffing ones own creatures. That way the melee buffs hit twice, its also a second activation with that creature so if you've moved or pushed yourself away it can chase you and hit again. If you pack a cure, a meridias blessing, a healing wand or the like its relatively easy to remove the stun, and then overextend again if one desires. I like it particularly well with buffed bridge trolls. 

Conquer is a strange card. Its really expensive to cast, tricky to execute (gotta control the zone and all), and kind of an all in move. Plus its a dead card if they play no conjurations or a few that don't matter much. Still I've seen it work, but I  having seen that its countered by a great many things. Tanglevine a troop I  there and you probably arent ready with the teleport to get him out. Or a druid tree could just drop a rooted plant there. So it loses effectiveness agaist a creature spawnpoint, and isnt that what youd wanna use it for?
I can see using it ion a battleforge. But even that's 16 mana plus the 3 it likely cost to own the zone (push or port). That's more than 2 rounds of channel. And Moe mana for a creature. Its just... tough to make work correctly.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 06:33:48 PM »
No arguments there! Hell, i do not even run it unless i make a gimmicky fun book lol
Just wanted to get some insight since new warlord books are coming out.

But yes, overextend is fantastic!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »
I flippin love Overextend and can't wait to pair it Galvanize for a nice surprise for an opponent.

I've jiggered with this a bit and will give an update when I get home.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
I really like that Warlord's are finally able to stay in school for their enchantments more without having to dip as much into Nature.

zzzPAXzzz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:13:02 AM »
I also like the new options for the warlords especialy for Bloodwave.
The power of overextend, the strategist helmet, and soldier creatures are just so cool and deadly :D
My bloodwawe warlords kills a lot lately :D and rolls a lot of dices per round with BC /enchantment-transfusion/overextend/galvanize combos ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
ROOAAAR — Overextend — ROOAAAR — OVERKILL